SASS Wire Forum

Shooting an 86 is a lot of fun.

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I am currently way out west in Nevada shooting at the Roop County Days match.   One of the things that attracted me to this match was that they have a "Tom Horn" category whereby you substitute a rifle caliber rifle for the normal pistol caliber one in the Main Match.   You can use either a single shot rifle or a repeater.  Depending on which type of rifle you use, you get a slightly different course of fire from those using a pistol caliber rifle, shooting at targets that are much further away than is typical in a SASS type match.  I am using my 1891 vintage Winchester 86.  I have also seen 94's, Rolling Blocks, Trapdoor Springfields, a Marlin, and and a reproduction 76 as well as a Japanese Winchester 71 that the owner modified into an 86 shooting 50-110.

Anyway, this is the first time that I have fired my 86 in anything other than a long range side match, and I have to say that using it as a main match rifle is a lot of fun, and that the gun itself is a pleasure to shoot.   With a good loading, even with a 405 grain bullet, .45-70 can be made to have almost no noticeable recoil, and yet will still reach out and touch things are far away as a few hundred yards.   Granted, we are not talking those kind of distances at this match, I'm just pointing out that it does not have to be downloaded to being little better than that a pistol cartridge in a big case.

The gun itself is capable of great accuracy, and I think I am doing well so far, even if I have lost the clean match.  

But here is where it get's interesting.  I had assumed that shooting the 86 would be essentially the same as shooting a 92.  Boy, was I mistaken.  Shooting this big rifle was really very different in a way I can't really explain.  Now, as some of you may recall, my favorite main match rifle is the Lightning.  So much so that I am kind of rusty with a lever gun whenever I pick one up.   But when I was using the 86, I took to like a duck to water.  Shooting it was so natural that I didn't have any kind of learning curve adjustments to make.  I guess old Mr. Browning really knew what he was doing with this design.

In conclusion, I enjoyed shooting this gun so much, I found myself wanting to shoot other big bore lever guns.  And since the odds of anyone ever marketing a reproduction of the large frame Lightnings being about the same a Massachusetts electing a governor when the R after his name does not stand for "RINO," and with originals being both rare and super expensive, and not to mention in odd calibers, I doubt I'll ever have one.  But I've clearly got the big bore fever.   I wish that more clubs offered something akin to Tom Horn, or even better, add such a rifle to the mix, making for a 
10-10-5-4 match.   After all, more shooting is more fun, and it would give us an excuse to either pull out that safe queen more often, or even better, go out an buy another gun.

Happy shooting, all.

We call it Cody Dixon down here in Texas. A hoot to shoot. I use a Win 94 in 38-55

There is NO QUESTION that the '86 was one of John Moses' best designs (with the M1911 and the M2 MaDeuce the best in their category)!  If you want a real treat, find one in .33 WCF.  The main problem with the .33 is finding flatnose jacketed bullets for it. Hornady used to make a great 200 gr., but discontinued it some years back.  Brass isn't much of a problem as the case is based on the .45-70, necked down and tapered.  We used to have a competition on steel plate pigs, chickens, turkeys and rams.  Most of the competition used M94's in .30-30, but couldn't match the knockdown power of the .33 WCF.  I think Winchester made a mistake when they brought out the M71 in .348 WCF, when they could have kept the .338" barrel.  An improved version would have been even better.

The M71 is simply a modified '86, with angled surfaces on the locking lugs and the firing pin completely surrounded by metal instead of the ejector forming the lower half of the firing pin channel as on the '86.  For some hot loads in a couple of mine, I had the parts for a 71 installed in the '86 action.  Got them from Numrich years ago, and it took only a little fitting.

Enjoy that '86!

I love shooting big bore rifles in matches.  I have used my 86 carbine in 45-70 and a uberti 1876 in 45-75.  I have an 1886 deluxe (built in 1888) in 45-70 on the way and can’t wait to use it in a match.  I save the big bore single shots for plainsman.  

Back in the 80s and 90s, there was a great match at the Chabot Range in the East Bay (near San Francisco) that shot both big-bores and pistol caliber rifles on the same targets at 50 to 75 yards.  If you hit them anywhere with a 45-70 they flew over.  If you hit them on the top half with a potent 45 LLC or 44-40 they flopped over.  If you hit them anywhere with a 38, they just stood there.  It was a simple way of making folks shoot full house loads.  Not SASS, but lots of fun.  It was a monthly match that went on for years.  

One other "thing" I'd like to have some day is to find a 71 with a shot out bore and rebarrel it to 30-40 Krag caliber.   I'd bet that with the same bullets used in a .30-30 that this would be a very nice shooting gun.  And yes, I'd "full length" the magazine tube.  That's why I want one with a shot out bore.   I couldn't see doing this to one still in good shootable condition, or to any already existing 86.

That’s so cool. I’ll be shooting a Tom Horn match in a couple of weeks. I’m going single shot trap door, unless I can get my new 76 carbine sighted in before then. Oh by the way, Nevada ain’t way out west. It’s way out east haha 

13 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

That’s so cool. I’ll be shooting a Tom Horn match in a couple of weeks. I’m going single shot trap door, unless I can get my new 76 carbine sighted in before then. Oh by the way, Nevada ain’t way out west. It’s way out east haha 

I beg to differ.  Not only is it west of the Hudson, it's west of the Mississippi.  It's even west of the Rockies.   That's way out west.

Once years ago, with the match directors permission I substituted my '86 for my '92 for speed rifle. 10 rounds of full case 40-65 black powder as fast as you can is a reel hoot. But the best part was when I finished the range was completely quit until some one hollered "What the h__l was that!" 

Archived