SASS Wire Forum

Estate Shotgun shells

Matthew Duncan

Been reading they are excellent for SASS.  Went to online to purchase and saw they appear to have steel bases.  Is this is correct?  Steel has always been frowned at by SxS users for hanging up in the chamber(s).

Yes, they are steel bases, I used them in my TTN hammered double for a number of years. I started to have issues with the bases separating from the plastic hull, rendering the double into a single shot shotgun.

I stopped shooting them about 4 years ago.

TB

If you use the lowest base hulls, the extractor will push most of the base out of the chamber...it has not been an issue in my shotguns.  Risk $6 and try them to be sure.

7 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Been reading they are excellent for SASS.  Went to online to purchase and saw they appear to have steel bases.  Is this is correct?  Steel has always been frowned at by SxS users for hanging up in the chamber(s).

It's Tin-Just like many others out there.

Not a big deal, and they reload just fine.

I run'em in 3 different '87s, and a CB97 and my Rem 11-87 that I use for trap.

Never-ever any issue.

OLG

54 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's Tin-Just like many others out there.

Not a big deal, and they reload just fine.

I run'em in 3 different '87s, and a CB97 and my Rem 11-87 that I use for trap.

Never-ever any issue.

OLG

NONE of those are Side by Sides, so not really answering the question.

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I used them in Browning and SKB doubles without problems.  Guns are like snowflakes,  each is unique.  Experiments in your own gun are better than taking opinion polls.

34 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

The ejection from a lever or pump SG puts way more stress on the hull's base, than shucking out of a SxS does.

Ejection from a semi-auto SG is the most force placed on the hull.

I would like to see a couple of pictures from the OP of the hulls he has had issues with.

The Estates fly out of my Browning O/U. ;)

OLG

13 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

The Estate bases are brass plated.  I never knew that they were steel until I put a magnet on one.  For a cheap shell, they're good.

Not steel-It's Tin. Tin is far 'softer' than steel...

OLG

I use the Estate shells sold at Walmart. The work fine in both of my SxS and I even reload them from time to time when my wife wants a softer shooting shell. Never had an issue with extraction.

40 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The ejection from a lever or pump SG puts way more stress on the hull's base, than shucking out of a SxS does.

Ejection from a semi-auto SG is the most force placed on the hull.

I would like to see a couple of pictures from the OP of the hulls he has had issues with.

The Estates fly out of my Browning O/U. ;)

OLG

He wasn't asking about stress, he was asking about shucking from a side by each. Does your O/U have ejectors?

Before I polished the Chambers in my cimarron hammer gun the estate shells were the only plastic hulls I could shuck. The rest I had to pull out by hand. I've never had an issue with them other than the recoil is more than I like.

Archived