SASS Wire Forum

Know anything about the aristocracy?

Alpo

When a woman marries a titled man, she gets a title. Lord Haw Haw marries Susie Smith, and she becomes Lady Haw Haw. The Count of Monte Cristo marries and his wife becomes the Countess of Monte Cristo.

But how does it work when a titled lady marries an untitled man?

I was reading the wiki about Albert Campion, a fictional detective.

>Campion eventually marries Amanda Fitton, who first appears in Sweet Danger as a 17-year-old and later becomes an aircraft engineer; they have a son, named Rupert. Her brother Hal recovers the family title of Earl of Pontisbright as a result of the adventures described in Sweet Danger, and Amanda then becomes Lady Amanda, as the sister of an Earl.<

Just got me wondering if now that his wife is a "Lady", is he still simply "Mister", are does he pick up some kind of a title?

And have the rules on that changed lately?

Until Charles got hitched and had an heir, his sister Anne, although the second child of the Queen, was fourth in line. Her two younger brothers were before her in line for the throne. Boys were first - birth order did not matter.

But Charles' son William has three kids. Boy, girl, boy. And the girl - Charlotte - is second in line. She's behind George, but ahead of Louis. The rules were changed.

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

When a woman marries a titled man, she gets a title. Lord Haw Haw marries Susie Smith, and she becomes Lady Haw Haw. The Count of Monte Cristo marries and his wife becomes the Countess of Monte Cristo.

But how does it work when a titled lady marries an untitled man?

I was reading the wiki about Albert Campion, a fictional detective.

>Campion eventually marries Amanda Fitton, who first appears in Sweet Danger as a 17-year-old and later becomes an aircraft engineer; they have a son, named Rupert. Her brother Hal recovers the family title of Earl of Pontisbright as a result of the adventures described in Sweet Danger, and Amanda then becomes Lady Amanda, as the sister of an Earl.<

Just got me wondering if now that his wife is a "Lady", is he still simply "Mister", are does he pick up some kind of a title?

And have the rules on that changed lately?

Until Charles got hitched and had an heir, his sister Anne, although the second child of the Queen, was fourth in line. Her two younger brothers were before her in line for the throne. Boys were first - birth order did not matter.

But Charles' son William has three kids. Boy, girl, boy. And the girl - Charlotte - is second in line. She's behind George, but ahead of Louis. The rules were changed.

Try this; should keep you busy for a month or two

http://www.edwardianpromenade.com/resources/titles-and-orders-of-precedence/

LL

That worked.

>The dignities which ladies have by birth or by right of inheritance, are not imparted by marriage to their husbands, nor does marriage with an inferior in dignity in any way affect the precedence that a lady may enjoy by birth, inheritance or creation–both her own precedence and that of her husband may remain as before their marriage, unless the husband be a peer.<

So he stays a "Mister".

Thanks, Loophole.

Patriarchal society. Titles and bloodlines are passed through the males generally.

41 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

And just to mess with you, let me point out that the rules of inheritance of titles vary from country to country, too.

Absolutely.  There was a princess of blahblah1 and blahblah2 who only ascended to the throne of blahblah1 because blahblah2 only allowed males.

Two hundred and some odd years ago we fought and won freedom from the British Empire.  I don't care about their royalty, nobility, titles, or socail structure, etc.  I can't understand those who do.

No offense intended to our friends and allies, it's just the way I am.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Two hundred and some odd years ago we fought and won freedom from the British Empire.  I don't care about their royalty, nobility, titles, or socail structure, etc.  I can't understand those who do.

+100000000

Yep. We are outa there.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It does not hurt to understand the social and political structures of your allies...and for that matter, of your enemies, too.

LL

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I can accept that to a degree, but too many people I know (like my sister) just fawn  and drool over everything British, especially if it has to do with their dignitary ilk.

Another example would be:

putting in a roundabout at a perfectly good intersection ....

Long before I ever saw a roundabout, I was pissed at this.

See this?

Crosswalk1.jpg

This is a crosswalk. This is how they were all the time I was growing up. Two parallel lines, about 4 foot apart, crossing the street. You walked between the lines.

Then, maybe 20 years back, I started seeing these.

1200px-Crosswalk_New_York_City_0001.jpg

What the hell is this crap? It's the way they do a crosswalk in Europe. Well whoopie. Last time I looked, this wasn't Europe. Why the hell do we need European crosswalks? So the tourists won't get run over? If the tourists are so stupid they cannot figure out those two parallel lines that everybody is walking between when they cross the street is a crosswalk, they deserve to get run over.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Long before I ever saw a roundabout, I was pissed at this.

See this?

Crosswalk1.jpg

This is a crosswalk. This is how they were all the time I was growing up. Two parallel lines, about 4 foot apart, crossing the street. You walked between the lines.

Then, maybe 20 years back, I started seeing these.

1200px-Crosswalk_New_York_City_0001.jpg

What the hell is this crap? It's the way they do a crosswalk in Europe. Well whoopie. Last time I looked, this wasn't Europe. Why the hell do we need European crosswalks? So the tourists won't get run over? If the tourists are so stupid they cannot figure out those two parallel lines that everybody is walking between when they cross the street is a crosswalk, they deserve to get run over.

It’s for the drivers who too unobservant to see those two parallel lines that you love so.

25 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

And let's don't even bring up bike lanes on what at one time were streets for cars that paid to get full use of the lane thru fuel tax, liscense and registration fees.......

Don’t believe that fuel taxes pay for streets. It is more likely that property, sales and income taxes pay for the upkeep of those streets while fuel taxes pay for highways.

12 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Don’t believe that fuel taxes pay for streets. It is more likely that property, sales and income taxes pay for the upkeep of those streets while fuel taxes pay for highways.

I work for a State Department of Transportation.

Our breakdown of fuel tax is as follows:

60% to state roads

20% to secondary roads

20% to municipal streets 

20% to municipal streets does not at all say what percentage of municipal streets is paid for by that 20%. In places where I have lived, the local budget for streets was such that local and other taxes paid 95% of the street cost and that 20% paid the other 5% of the local street budget.

5 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Many Brits feel the same way.

And pretty much all of the Scots. ;)

23 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

20% to municipal streets does not at all say what percentage of municipal streets is paid for by that 20%. In places where I have lived, the local budget for streets was such that local and other taxes paid 95% of the street cost and that 20% paid the other 5% of the local street budget.

.... a lot of state roads are also used as city streets as they pass thru towns and citys. These are usally the roads that carry the greatest volume of a citys traffic. These are designed, built and maintained with State money. 

I used to think the Brits were nuts for paying royalty and other aristocrats and nobility exorbitant salaries and benefits packages to just be decorative and not really have a purpose or do anything valuable.

Then I looked at our federal  and state....and county and city and township governments....and HOAs and other useless people.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Many Brits feel the same way.

And pretty much all of the Scots. ;)

The Irish don't much care about them either.

Duffield

Dick Francis rights of WRITES A (furshlugginer potrzebie phone) pretty fair murder mystery.

In FLYING FINISH, Henry Grey is the son of an Earl (I love that when his father dies he will become Earl Grey). He is also a jockey. At one point in the book he has a difference of opinion with the horse's owner. But he lets the owner win the argument because, "He had more strawberry leaves than my father".

That made absolutely no sense. Until I was researching the British aristocracy a few years ago, and discovered that minor nobles - counts, dukes, earls, barons - had pearls and strawberry leaves on their coronets. The more strawberry leaves, the higher-ranking noble you were.

My curiosity is in how the system works, titles, inheritances, the curiosity about “being privileged”. That’s all very bizarre.  The individuals, ehhh, it’d be cold day in Hell before I kowtowed to them or made way for anyone other than the Queens Guard (they shove).

that reminds me. One day in Moscow on a side street near the Center, people were walking in a crosswalk, and I swear they slowed down when a Maybach* was waiting to get through.

*A Maybach is a rebadged Mercedes S-class probably carrying a gov’t official.

It should to anyone.

Think of it like stripes on an enlisted man's sleeve. I've got two stripes, he's got three stripes. He's higher ranking than me. But you've only got one stripe, so you're lower ranking than either of us.

I find the pomp and circumstance surrounding British Royalty to be heartwarming. It shows a respect for the history of a country. I don't see that we need to go that far here. However, we have gone too far in the other direction when our history is rewritten, statues are defaced or torn down, and our flag is denigrated.

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

It should to anyone.

Think of it like stripes on an enlisted man's sleeve. I've got two stripes, he's got three stripes. He's higher ranking than me. But you've only got one stripe, so you're lower ranking than either of us.

Stripes are easy to see and count.  I ain't gonna fool around (I was gonna say "fart around", but decided it might offend someone and get me in trouble.) counting strawberry leaves.

Archived