SASS Wire Forum

What's a Cowboy to do/see around Greencastle Pa in Dec.

Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129

Howdy :

I will be flying into Dulles Airport from Western Canada for a Wedding in Mid. Dec. renting a car for a week and Driving to Greencastle Pa...

Jabez Cowboy

It's cold here in December and shooting season is on hold.  It's also hunting season and we are enjoying different guns.  However, the NRA headquarters is in Fairfax, VA.  That's a quick drive from Dulles and well worth the trip.  Yes, Gettysburg is great, even though it may not be on your route, it's worth the detour.  On your way from point A to point B, perhaps you may like to make a stop at the Flight 93 Memorial.  Look at your travel routes and google things to see near....  You may even find more cool stuff that suits your taste and make a specially tailored route for travel to and/or from Dulles.  VA is full of wineries, breweries and distilleries.  PA has many of the same.  If you like the natural environment, in Elk County (Benezette, PA) you can view the elk herd and visit their visitors center.  There's also the Kinzua Bridge, which isn't all that far from Benezette.  If you like museums and history, head for Harrisburg, PA, our state capital, where you can visit so much.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g52787-Activities-Harrisburg_Pennsylvania.html  As a chocolate lover, I have to say, don't forget Hershey's Chocolate World!  They have some special things going on at the park for the holidays too.
There is so much more to see than you have time for if you just base your trip on things in the area around Dulles.  Our daughter lives in the shadow of the planes going in and out of Dulles and we have seen so little.  Have fun and enjoy the trip.

Snow ?????? less than 40 miles from me the snow pack varies from 22 - 30 feet depending on the winter......

But No I wasn't looking for snow....

One of our Young Ugandian Friends is hitching up with a Yankee bride...

We have kind of taken on the role of Mom and Dad for him as he was Orphaned years ago and we have been part of his life for the past 11 years ...

My wife seems to want to get more involved ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, And to keep sane ....

And I'm looking for things to do that ain't Wedding related ,,,,, Even as simple as coffee with some Cowboys...

Jabez Cowboy

There is the Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg Md. Harpers Ferry National (Something) in Harper's Ferry West by-God Virginia. Civil War Medicine Museum in Frederick, MD. 

And for a bunch of Cowboy Shooters, nobody mentioned Taylor's Firearms in Winchester VA.

Almost all of those sites are within 60 to 90 minutes of Greencastle, PA.

(oh yeah, first post)

What part of December? The NRA has a shoot the first Tuesday of the month. You could go to Berkeley springs and wander around the shops and natural springs, stop in at give purrs a chance and pet some kitties... 

Lots of great suggestions here.  (Few "Thank yous".   Sad.). So I'll say it. Thank you for taking the time and effort to list so much good stuff to do.  You all made me want to take a trip there--even in winter.  Thx. v much.  

On 9/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, La Sombra said:

There is the Antietam Battlefield in Sharpsburg Md. Harpers Ferry National (Something) in Harper's Ferry West by-God Virginia. Civil War Medicine Museum in Frederick, MD. 

And for a bunch of Cowboy Shooters, nobody mentioned Taylor's Firearms in Winchester VA.

Almost all of those sites are within 60 to 90 minutes of Greencastle, PA.

(oh yeah, first post)

Antietam is very interesting.  I've been there a few times.  Harpers Ferry is a neat town and Gettysburg is great to visit.  If you can swing it and it's not TOO cold, allow yourself at least a couple of days at Antietam and Gettysburg.  Antietam Battlefield is not just one little place.  Its kind of spread out.

You will be unarmed anyway, so I would focus on Washington, DC. There isn't much going on outdoors in December. The battlefields in the Shenandoah Valley are best in other times of the year. NRA headquarters is there, so consider checking out all the firearms exhibits they have.

Archived