SASS Wire Forum

Cant shuck AA shells

Free Bird 61147

On 9/12/2019 at 10:25 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

That sounds more harsh than I intended.

I suspect the smooth sides of the AA hulls simply create too much friction in contact with the chamber wall.  STS hulls are smooth to be sure, but I suspect the crimp petals on the STS hulls may not cause as much friction in the chamber after firing.  In my experience the problems  happen at the crimp end of the hull—the extractor kicks out most of the brass base, so the base is less likely to be a problem.

But again that is speculation.  Experiment with the less expensive Remington Gun Club shells and the Estate brand of shotshells if you think STS are too costly.  Both are $5.99 a box at Academy.  But if your guns shuck STS best, buy those and don’t look back.

Doesn't have much to do with slick or rippled. It more to do with how thick/hard/stiff the plastic is.  The thin hulls expand but don't contact as much as the thicker stiffer hulls. So they tend to hang more often

7 hours ago, Johnny Longpants said:

AA hulls changed when they went to the new AAHS design.  The change is  a two piece design and what I believe to be a different plastic.  This has made the AA much harder to reload (used to be one of the best) and now getting a good crimp has become a crap shoot.   The softer plastic is probably what is causing them to hang up in chambers.

At one time the AA's were the go-to's. But, it looks like they have gone to a softer thinner hull.

1 hour ago, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

The answer to your OP is your shotgun chambers are just not honed and polished enough. Had this issue also so I re-honed and polished some more. Problem gone.  

If you aren't careful you can easily ruin a barrel set. You really need a set of chamber gauges to see where you are before you start removing metal. A better way to know is to make chamber cast.  I've had guns sent to me for repair because the cases were rupturing for too much honing.  The cheap fix then is to just replace the gun.

15 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

What is the federal part number for them?

From MidwayUSA add        

• Product #: 667975
  • Federal Premium #: TG12EL 8
  • UPC #: 029465529819

At our most recent monthly match, I kept track, while I was spotting and timing.  Of the fourteen times shooters had problems shucking shotgun shells,  eleven of them were using AA hulls, and several of those stuck quite firmly, necessitating pulling by hand.  The other three were using unidentifiable (to me) factory ammo.  Nobody shooting green or gold STS hulls had any stuck hulls. 

Archived