SASS Wire Forum

4H Western Heritage -- recruits??

Volga Vigilante

I was recently asked if I would be interested in the position of County 4H representative for Western Heritage.  After reading some about it, it appears to be slightly watered down SASS for 4H.  Does anyone have any experience with the 4H program?  The shooting aspect reads like they used the SASS handbook as a starting point.  A few differences would be hand guns are always staged, no holsters and action jobs are O.K., but no short strokes on the rifles.  There is also a history portion that the member would need to do also.

Has anyone had any success in starting with a young shooter and bring the family into our sport?

Has SASS helped with this, or would you all be willing to?

Thanks

Volga Vigilante

Volga V ,

My kids were involved in 4H shooting sports( but not Western Heritage) for years.Its a great program but like most,its only as good as the members(and volunteers) make it.The national program provides great opportunities for our young people to compete,  up to the national level.

We enjoyed participating as a family,and travelled to the national contests with our county team.A great experience for the kids and parents.I would recommend getting involved as a coach or a patron.

Choctaw Jack 

I have been a Western Heritage leader for three years now. A good program it definitely has some differences from SASS. Some are due to politics such as those we would call Buckaroo’s cannot use handguns, rather a second rifle is typically part of the scenario. The scoring has three parts, shooting, persona (including costuming) and presentation (a combination written and oral test). For liability reasons only factory ammo is allowed during competition although many parents reload for practice. There are other differences as well but if you are interested I would be glad to help.

Those who participate in WH sometimes shoot CAS as well but it has not produced the numbers we would have liked as of yet.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

The 4H Western heritage program is a awesome opportunity for SASS to recruit the next generation of cowboy action shooters. The main thing you need to remember is that western Heritage along with any other 4H project is designed for youth development. What that means is we use the project As a tool to help develop youth in their actions thoughts and preparedness for the real adult world that they will soon face.And Sass it’s all about the shooting the camaraderie and fellowship. Those things are also very important and Western heritage. But again it’s about taking a young child and helping them to grow into a prepared adult with integrity morals and good work ethic.

I hear a lot of discussions at Sass events about the next generation of shooters. Who’s going to take over when we are no longer around to carry on the sport. This is one of the best opportunities out there for SASS members to keep their sport alive.  I have been coaching the program in Colorado for five years. We have had unbelievable support from all of the SASS clubs. They are more than willing to do anything that is needed to help this project. I know you will find lots of support where you are at. I have sent you a PM please respond and I will help you in anyway that I can. 

Thank you for your help in this project and the 4-H program. Oak Creek Martin

My boys have shot 4H trap for the last 2 years.  Saturday was the state shoot here in South Dakota.  That is where I was cornered :) and asked about it.  Someone is going to be Nationally trained from SD then come back and get things going on the county level.

Oak Creeek Martin,  I'll give you a buzz this afternoon if that is alright.

Thanks for the input, if I pursue this I will be back with more questions.

Archived