SASS Wire Forum

On This Day 18 Years Ago

Cypress Sun

There was no.....

Black or White. 

Democrat or Republican.

Pro 2nd Amendment or Anti 2nd Amendment.

Hawks or Doves

We were all Americans united by tragedy, disbelief, sorrow and anger.......if only for a few days.

:FlagAm:

42 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

There was no.....

Black or White. 

Democrat or Republican.

Pro 2nd Amendment or Anti 2nd Amendment.

Hawks or Doves

We were all Americans united by tragedy, disbelief, sorrow and anger.......if only for a few days.

:FlagAm:

Yeah, and after a few days we remembered we were Americans and began spitting at each other again. <_<

I am still as angry and hateful as I was 18 years ago on this date.  I'll never forget, and I'll never forgive.  I know that it is sinful, but I'll answer for that when my day comes.

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I will say though, there is no better documentary on 9/11 than the film those two French brothers did about the Engine 7, Ladder 1 Firehouse.

Uno and I tried watching that when it came on TV.  I was so emotionally wrapped up in the fireground scenes, I was screaming at the TV with tears running down my cheeks giving orders to the firefighters (I'm a former officer).  Uno had to turn the TV off and hug me.  He said you can't take this any more.  It's too much for you.  He was right.

I turned on the TV this morning.

FOX news was showing the memorial ceremonies. 

CNN was talking about impeachment.

:angry:

Someone asked me if I remembered where I was today. If I sit back and close my eyes, I can remember it as vividly as if it had happened yesterday, and tears will stream down my cheeks. I avoid watching documentaries, because they are too painful.

WHERE I WAS 

I was in bed, reading the paper and waiting for the coffee to perk.  Had on the morning news/talk on KSRO. Heard that a plane had hit one of the towers, this was at maybe 0550 Pacific Time.  No other deatails given at that time.  I figured that some light aircraft had FUBARed and screwed the pooch.

Went out, turned on the morning news and got a cup of coffee.

Looked at the TV and yelled back to my wife to come out and see.  Stunned.  Gobsmacked.  Knew it wasn't an accident. 

Saw the 2nd one hit.

Sick to my stomach.  Left for work.  Just before I got there heard that the tower had collapsed. 

When I heard that Bush was flying out of FL my first thought was, "OH CHRIST!  They've flushed him like a pheasant!" and I KNEW that someone was wating with a SAM or some aircraft or something to shoot down Air Force One. 

That whole day at work was a daze.  We were all expecting to hear of attacks in Chicago, or Los Angeles, or San Francisco, or Seattle.

I remember how almost every house on our street was flying an American flag for a few weeks after the attack.  Then they started fading away to where there are only 3 flags still flying today, ours, our next door neighbor and another near the end of the street. It's sad, but then the population of our street is radically different than it was 18 years ago.

I will never forget that moment. I was riding with an apprentice named Jonathon Boss, heading East on I20 at Evans Mill Road singing along to the Doobie Brothers Black Water playing on Z93. Life was good.  Then the terrible news cut in. We got to the shop and work just stopped. Everyone was in the break room watching TV in mostly silence,  mixed with the sound of sniffles from the tears. I remember feeling angry, confused and nauseous.

I was 26 at the time. My first thought was terrorism. It wasn't many years before they tried to bomb it. I mentioned it to Jonathon, 19 at the time, and he didn't believe it. He sent me a text message out of the blue  last year and asked me if I remembered where we were and what we were doing. He remember it the exact same way. I never  can listen to Black Water without thinking of that day.

I remember my mom called me telling me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I immediately thought big deal, some Cessna crashed into a two-story convention center or something like that. I didn't immediately fall in that the World Trade Center was those two huge twin skyscrapers that King Kong climbed back in the 1970s. It wasn't until I got up and saw it on the TV that I realized what had happened, and it was a huge shock because within moments as I stood there the first tower pancaked to the ground.

Archived