SASS Wire Forum

Currency exchange

Rye Miles #13621

I brought in 50 -$20.00 bills to my local bank in exchange for $100.00 bills. My statement has a $2.50 charge for this. I called and they said "Yes, there's a charge for "Currency exchange". Are you %^&$#@! kidding me? I don't know if all banks do this or just this one. I got charged one time for bringing in rolled coins $50.00 worth and got charged, I complained and they took it off!

How's your bank??

Deposit the $20s in to your checking account and then write a check for what you want back and ask for it in $100 bills.

----------------

My bank charges for coins if not rolled.

They say they send it out to their central depository because the individual banks do nt have coin sorting machined.

Only their depository,.

If I roll them, they place the rolls in plastic trays that are a given length.

If the roll fits, no charge.

If there are any loose rolls, they hand the rolls back.

If there are any rolls that are too long to fit, they hand them back to me.

Anymore I take all of my loose change to the grocery store and pay for groceries in coins. At the check yourself out counter that is.

If there's anyone lining up behind me I usually warn them as to what I'm going to do. It takes a little extra time but it's always amusing.  I think I've spent $40 in change this way before.

My bank branches all have coin machines and don't charge anything for bank customer/ members. I've never seen nor heard of an exchange fee for American paper currency. Think I'd find a new bank if someone started pulling that around here.

I called a few other banks this morning and none of them charge for "currency exchange". I have a savings account at another bank so I'm moving a checking and my other savings to them! Good riddance PNC!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I called a few other banks this morning and none of them charge for "currency exchange". I have a savings account at another bank so I'm moving a checking and my other savings to them! Good riddance PNC!

Was a notice posted for this fee?

I would make sure the bank's HMFIC knows why you're leaving--

OLG

I often go in and ask for an exchange, just change dirty bills for clean ones (is that money laundering?)

only bank and that ever charged me was Savings Bank of Russia (Спербанк Руссий).  I should have used the 500 in my previous transaction and they would have given me change for free. As Homer Simpson would say, “DOH!”

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Was a notice posted for this fee?

I would make sure the bank's HMFIC knows why you're leaving--

OLG

Oh they will know why and NO notice was posted for this anywhere in the bank or their website!

I had Wells Fargo. They got weird and charged me for everything.

I dropped them and went with Security Pacific. B of A bought them and they charge for everything

I went with Chase. They are big but they haven't really bothered me much.

After making a few calls this morning I'm amazed at the different services, charges and interest rates and how they vary from bank to bank. Sometimes we tend to think they're all the same but they're really not!:o

Open up checking and savings accounts in a Credit Union they typically don't charge for anything. I dropped all the large banks years ago.

If you have a large enough account with them, they don't charge for much.  Not everyone can do that though.  My wife went into the local BMO branch, went up to the counter to withdraw some money or make some transaction.  The girl behind the counter was new to her and started to give her some grief about the transaction, fees needed or some such, so wifey says, well I'll just take it all out and close the account.  New girl goes back to talk to the head teller that a client wanted to close her account.  The head teller came flying out, profusely apologizing, asking how she could be of service, how high and how much.  At the time, wifey had high 5 figures or low 6 figures in the bank.  It got their attention.  I don't think new girl lasted long but I don't go in that bank much.  Same branch, a few years later, lunchtime with wifey, we were doing a transaction in the drive through, I think a deposit.  All the tellers were gone or busy.  Assistant branch manager is taking care of us.  Toady looking feller.  I'm the one doing the transaction this time.  I send in the check and deposit slip through the tube, get a voice on the other end, I'm going to need some ID, can you send your drivers license.  This is a small town, everyone knows me.  People I don't know, know who I am.  Everyone but the Assistant Branch Manager.  So I send my DL in through the tube.  Someone must have come back from lunch because an animated voice comes over the intercom,  Mr. Finagler, I' sorry, I just had to make sure it was you.  Yeah, right<_<   I see him once in a while.  He doesn't make much eye contact.

Banks are all about fees.  That is where they make their money.

I have U.S. Bank, when I opened my checking and savings accounts, I pulled out my ID ( it says Veteran on it) and showed it to the guy  he also seen my veterans ID card  still in  my  wallet, he goes "oh you're a Veteran". he then said I had free checking,  saving and a whole bunch of other stuff for free that I don't remember.

Wow, I thought my bank was chicken shi.........livered.  That's not even a currency exchange cause it's all US dollars. If you wanted to change it to British pounds, that's a currency exchange. I'd get ahold of the bank president and chew some butt. That's no different than buying a roll of quarters with a $10 bill to wash your car. May be time to change banks.

JHC

6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Wow, I thought my bank was chicken shi.........livered.  That's not even a currency exchange cause it's all US dollars. If you wanted to change it to British pounds, that's a currency exchange. I'd get ahold of the bank president and chew some butt. That's no different than buying a roll of quarters with a $10 bill to wash your car. May be time to change banks.

JHC

I am going to change to another bank that I have a saving account with. That's the bank my SS checks get sent to and I already talked to them about "currency exchange", they thought it was ridiculous. I will close out a checking and savings at the crappy bank (PNC) and move everything to the other one.

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A guy was buying my truck. Gave me a$500 deposit check drawn on Citizens Bank. I went to Citizens in my town and they charged $7 to cash the check. Time was important so I paid it but otherwise I would have gone to my credit union.

That's a load of crap too. $#$ banks.

JHC

On 9/11/2019 at 2:34 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Pretty soon there will be fees for the oxygen consumption while standing in line...

Shut up already. Don't give them any ideas.

JHC :P

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

We should eliminate coins at least pennies and nickels. Since they are no longer gold or silver but just pot metal that costs more to make than their face value. This is madness 

7E9CEB3E-301E-40B8-9D25-ACF8DDF6C622.png

I'm too old school, not ready to go there yet. That's half a drop in the bucket of what Uncle Sam pi$$e$ away.

JHC

9 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I'm too old school, not ready to go there yet. That's half a drop in the bucket of what Uncle Sam pi$$e$ away.

JHC

There are plenty in circulation already. Just don’t make any more. All they do is sit in change bowls. 

If you think spend 1.8 cents to make a penny and 9.4 to make a nickel is just a drop in the bucket don’t ever go into business :D

5 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

There are plenty in circulation already. Just don’t make any more. All they do is sit in change bowls. 

If you think spend 1.8 cents to make a penny and 9.4 to make a nickel is just a drop in the bucket don’t ever go into business :D

I've been in business for 45 years. You must not run a cash register much.

JHC

7 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I've been in business for 45 years. You must not run a cash register much.

JHC

Nope, don’t own one, and never needed one. So you really think a company could stay in business making a product and selling it for half what it cost to make? No you’re just kidding me. Of course we know government doesn’t have to play by the rules of business.

2 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Nope, don’t own one, and never needed one. So you really think a company could stay in business making a product and selling it for half what it cost to make? No you’re just kidding me. Of course we know government doesn’t have to play by the rules of business.

That's for sure. Just saying that's....well.....pennies and nickels to the government. You can go a few miles down the road to Dyess and watch those B1-B's flying 24/7 and then worry about coins.

JHC

Update:

I talked to a nice lady at the other bank I deal with (where my SS checks go to) and I'll open a CD and a checking acct. there Monday. I'm closing out my 2 accounts at PNC. I'm done being nickled and dimed at that petty bank!:angry:

UPDATE: Well as I said I went today and closed my checking and savings with PNC and moved it to the other bank I use. Now I have everything at one bank, except for some other small investments elsewhere.;)

Archived