SASS Wire Forum

North Carolina State Championship

Noah Fitz

The North Carolina Cowboys would like to invite everyone to this years state match. It will be unlike any previous North Carolina matches. This year expect all targets to be CLOSE and BIG with NO "P" traps. Warm Up Stages, Speed Events, and Wild Bunch will start on October 31st with Cotton Gloves overseeing the Wild Bunch. Currently, we have an overwhelming interest in Wild Bunch participation with a Day of the Dead theme (since it's on Halloween). Match starts Friday, November 1st, (No morning and afternoon posses this year.) all shooters will start Friday morning and shoot 6 stages with a BBQ under the tent in the evening. Saturday morning Lash Toru will conduct Cowboy Church in the morning and then all shooters will shoot 4 stages. This year the Banquet is included in the entry fee, and will be held at the Rowan Museum. The Rowan Museum is an authentic historical courthouse dating back to the 1800's. Awards will be presented at the banquet. Shootout will be Sunday at High Noon.  Click on the link for more match information along with the entry form. See you at the North Carolina State Match!

Link: https://sassncmatch.org/

This is going to be a great match this year. You don't want to miss it. Noah Fitz and the Crew have done a wonderful job putting together the Championship. I know each stage will be a blast and fun for every level of shooter. And don't forget "Cowboy Church" will be Saturday morning so you don't have to come back to the range on Sunday unless you are in the Shoot Off.

Let’s keep this going and make this the best championship ever. Great time of the year to shoot in North Carolina and a great group of people to shoot with. Sign up now, don’t wait!

23 hours ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

Full Color Buckles for Top 5

Are the buckles for top 5 overall or for top 5 in each category?

If I remember from last year it is the top five in each category. Plus some cool clean match awards too!

Looking at the application it says it is a one pass brass match.  I'm not sure what that means.  Also, when is check-in?  I'm giving serious consideration to attending and staying at my daughter's house.  She lives an hour and a half away from the club so I would want to make as few trips as possible.

Outrider Outlaw thank you for inquiring, concerning the one pass brass we will try to pick up as much brass as we can before staging the next shooter. on Thursday we will have side matches in the morning along with a Wild Bunch match. The match starts Friday with the registration pick up available from 7am - 8am . The safety meeting will be 8am - 8:30am with the match starting around 8:30am. We will shoot 6 stages on Friday. Saturday Cowboy Church will be 8:00am - 8:30am with the match starting at 8:30am with 4 stages. Awards will be presented at the Banquet on Saturday evening 6:00 pm - 10:30 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve understood that “one pass brass” refers to a match where less time is allowed for brass pickup, so you will get fewer pieces back.

Cat Brules

We are going to leave it up to each posse. There will be plenty of workers on each posse nobody is really going to say anything if the brass pickers are focusing on getting all the brass back. 

Well, that’s what is said here, in the Forum.  

However, in practice, when a posse slows down, the Posse Leader is going to pressure the brass pickers until they’re ready to quit.  A large major match almost certainly means fewer returned brass.  

Many things can slow down a posse, and having a posse waiting behind another, slows down every other posse in line.  Brass return necessarily becomes the first thing to be abbreviated or sacrificed in the interest of time.

Cat Brules

It's not so much a problem now as back a couple of years ago when all reloading components are in short supply.   If you have things like 38-40, it will get picked up and either left at the unloading table for you to get later or the picker will return it to you personally.  We work hard to get it all back.

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I've been seeing terms here that I am not familiar with.  So, here is another question:  Not sure what is involved in the Sunday Shootoff.  What is it about?

Thanks

In the past the top 16 men and the top 8 ladies would shoot side by side with the targets set the same distance. One shooter would be eliminated at each pass till you 2 shooters left and one would become the Top Gun. Now a days in most matches they take about any shooter who wishes to participate.

1 hour ago, nunnfaster, SASS #51021 said:

SOUNDS GREAT ABOUT THE SHOOT OFF!

FREE, FREE, FREE

FREE POPCORN WITH THE FREE MOVIE PREMIERE AFTER THE FREE BARBECUE ON FRIDAY NIGHT AT THE RANGE!

Hey Nunn!

How you doing?  I hope this means we'll see you at the match.

NNV

On 10/3/2019 at 3:10 PM, Null N. Void said:

I love open shootoffs!   I wish they had them when I started. 

I didn't get to see the shootoffs is SC.  Did you shoot?

1 minute ago, McCandless said:

I didn't get to see the shootoffs is SC.  Did you shoot?

Yes I did. 

Made it to the semifinals with the help of a bye.  Lighthorse Pete got to his SG first and it was over from there.  I do all right, but there was no way to catch up to the guy who did the '97 speed match in 1.8 seconds.  I still had a ball! 

Santa Fe River Stan won the shootoff beating Lighthorse Pete.  He also won the match.  What a performance!  Just a pleasure to see him shoot like that!

The Golden Pistols, the sequel to The Golden Gun will be premiering at the NC Match on Friday, November 1, after the NC Cowboys BBQ dinner!  I’ll post link to The Golden Gun in next post. MUST watch the first to be able to fully appreciate the sequel! :P  we had much better equipment and a real Hollywood Director, Adam Jordan, helping (he was in NC for a bit and volunteered).  So much fun!! Bulldog Jackson and RJ Ricochet (Jackson’s Western Store fame Asheville, NC) wrote the movie. Lots of cowboys in it. Many cast members will be present!!!

Free popcorn, free movie... lots and lots of laughs!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

6CC17F69-CFD3-48AB-A626-185E06EFDF84.jpeg

Link to The Golden Gun - 

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Link to The Golden Gun - 

Now that looks like fun.
Where is the western town where you filmed?  (I saw the credits but couldn't make it out) If you have time, Love Valley, NC could give you a good setting for some more footage.

Archived