SASS Wire Forum

did I call it right?

Outrider Outlaw

This past weekend at a local club's monthly match I was the TO.  After one shooter had a particularly bad stage I polled the spotters as usual.  One spotter had 4 misses, one had 6 misses and the third said clean.  I went to the third spotter and said the other two had 4 and 6  and you had clean?  She admitted she wasn't paying attention.  I called it at 5 misses.  Did I do the right thing or should I have gone with 4?  Yes, that 3rd spotter got a particularly nasty look from me.

Hope she doesn't spot regularly.  I would have gone with 4 because two spotters agreed that 4 were missed. One did not agree that 5 were missed, and one was NOT spotting at all.

The reason there are three spotters is there are three perspectives to observe from. Some perspectives have advantage. Some may see dirt fly and another sees the edge clip.

Rule book gives benefit to the shooter, so 4 is the call.

Not like this shooter is going to be in the competition for the grand prize or anything!

At least spotter #3 didn't copy-cat the other spotter.

"I didn't see any misses" is the proper reply in any case. If you can't follow the shooters sequence (gunfighter especially) just say it.

If you can't pay attention spotting, pick up brass...

Nope.  No way.  Odd guy out here.  Benefit of doubt always goes to the shooter.  Spotter 3 didn't pay attention.  Spotter(s) 1 and 2 didn't agree.  No consensus.

CLEAN  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Nope.  No way.  Odd guy out here.  Benefit of doubt always goes to the shooter.  Spotter 3 didn't pay attention.  Spotter(s) 1 and 2 didn't agree.  No consensus.

There's a reason we use 3 spotters. Not uncommon to have a discrepancy in count.

Spotter #3 does not CXL out what the others saw.

Spotter #3 was replaced, I hope--

OLG

3 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There doesn't have to be a consensus.  Spotters 1 and 2 agreed that there were at least 4 misses, therefore the call is 4, which is giving the spotter the BOD on the other two possible misses.

9 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Hope she doesn't spot regularly.  I would have gone with 4 because two spotters agreed that 4 were missed. One did not agree that 5 were missed, and one was NOT spotting at all.

+1000000

Archived