SASS Wire Forum

First day back at (that 4 letter word place)

Pat Riot

I went to work today for the first time since my bike crash. It was nice to see everyone but it was work. I would have rather been home. ;)

I am still sore and feel like I have a butter knife shoved into my back on the left side between my shoulder blades but at least it doesn’t feel like a hot serrated extra wise steak knife. Haha

Got my bake back from the shop but promised my wife I would not ride for another week.

The insurance for the girl that hit me is dragging their feet...well, not doing anything at all. I may need to take it up a notch with them.

But all in all, things are going well. :D

We’ll see you at the Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly next week then?:P. I’ll put you on posse 2.

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

We’ll see you at the Gunfight Behind The Jersey Lilly next week then?:P. I’ll put you on posse 2.

No. I literally have a ways to go before I am shooting long guns, especially shotguns, even with light loads. I would love to be there. Shooting handguns two-handed is awkward as well. 

Thank you for the encouragement, though. :D

I have found work to be highly over-rated.

;)

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No. I literally have a ways to go before I am shooting long guns, especially shotguns, even with light loads. I would love to be there. Shooting handguns two-handed is awkward as well. 

Thank you for the encouragement, though. :D

That's why there is a Josey Wales category. ;)

I’m glad that you’re on the mend but of course the girls insurance company is balking. What you were doing was dangerous and illegal in most states.

You were at least partially if not totally at fault 

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I’m glad that you’re on the mend but of course the girls insurance company is balking. What you were doing was dangerous and illegal in most states.

You were at least partially if not totally at fault 

No, I was not.

Lane sharing is legal here. I was riding well within the CHP guidelines.

The California Highway Patrol has placed the blame solely on the lady that hit me. She is 100% at fault.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

No, I was not.

Lane sharing is legal here. I was riding well within the CHP guidelines.

The California Highway Patrol has placed the blame solely on the lady that hit me. She is 100% at fault.

There is a big difference between two bikers riding in the same lane and riding between lanes. What you did was extremely dangerous and arrogant. As a working police officer I would have cited you in a heartbeat 

33 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

There is a big difference between two bikers riding in the same lane and riding between lanes. What you did was extremely dangerous and arrogant. As a working police officer I would have cited you in a heartbeat 

Not in CA, Henry. The following is from the CA DMV.

"Lane splitting general guidelines

"Lane splitting general guidelines" information is no longer available.

A petitioner complained to the Office of Administrative Law that there was no formal rulemaking process for the guidelines, and raised other objections. The CHP discussed the issue with the Office of Administrative Law and chose not to issue, use or enforce guidelines and thus removed them from the website.

The underlying purpose of the guidelines was to provide common-sense traffic safety information.

California law does not allow or prohibit motorcycles from passing other vehicles proceeding in the same direction within the same lane, a practice often called "lane splitting," "lane sharing" or "filtering."

Creating a safer highway environment is the shared responsibility of drivers and motorcyclists alike. This is achieved by staying alert and using common sense and courtesy while on the road. It is also important for motorcyclists to minimize their risks by riding responsibly, always wearing a helmet and other protective gear and to never ride under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicants. Here are other important safety reminders:

• Watch your speed—a motorcycle collision is highly likely to cause injury or death
  • Assume people in cars do not see you.
  • Avoid blind spots in other vehicles, particularly large trucks

The California Highway Patrol also strongly encourages all motorcycle riders to sign up for the California Motorcyclist Safety Program, which is administered by the CHP as California's official motorcycle safety and training program. The Program offers courses for new and experiences riders. For more information visit https://www.chp.ca.gov/Programs-Services/Programs/California-Motorcyclist-Safety."

Pat, I'm so glad you are well enough to return to work!

Some information on Lane Splitting for those unfamiliar with Southern California traffic. (I was the Safety Officer for a Motorcycle organization for many years).

Splitting Lanes

Did you know that lane splitting is safer than staying in a lane of
stop and go traffic? Statistics and safety experts confirm that
this is the case. However, lane splitting is loaded with situations
that require careful consideration.

In the legal sense, lane splitting in California does not have a
legal definition. Instead, it is NOT defined as being illegal. All
traffic laws apply when lane splitting so it is very possible that,
in the eyes of the law, other traffic laws are being violated.
Police policy in California is such that you should not lane split
when traffic is moving faster than 30 mph. If you are going more
than 10 mph faster than traffic, you may get cited for "unsafe for
conditions". If traffic is moving above 45 mph, you may get written
for reckless driving. Lane splitting is less likely to be tolerated
on surface streets.

As a rider splits lanes, they have to observe the traffic ahead and
be able to predict what the drivers on both sides are going to do.
Always assume that the drivers do not see (or hear) you coming. If
there is not enough room to pass a vehicle, wait until there is an
opening and go around. Do not get angry or do anything to
antagonize the driver as they might seek revenge on you or the next
rider to pass by.

Be aware of the geometry of your bike. Any protruding handlebars,
mirrors, pegs, saddlebags, etc. must be taken into account. Be
alert and ready to detect and react. Scan for signs of trouble. 

The safest lanes are usually the two left lanes. This is because
the drivers tend to keep to the left and there is less lane
changing occurring. A cardinal rule of lane splitting is that any
time you are between lanes, you should be passing cars. If cars in
an adjacent lane start passing you, get back in the lane. 

Keep your speed to a point where you can handle surprises and
minimize your surprising the traffic you are passing. You should
not be going much faster than the surrounding traffic. This will
allow you to observe the traffic that can influence your riding
pattern and properly react. 

If you are overtaken by a faster rider, move over into a gap and
permit them to pass. This has an added benefit in that drivers are
usually more observant after a bike has passed them. However, don't
follow the bike too closely. Leave room just in case something does
happen. 

The most dangerous time to split lanes is when traffic is first
slowing down. This is when motorists are most likely to change
lanes seeking the fastest lane. When the traffic has stabilized,
the lane switching falls to almost zero. However, if there is a gap
large enough for a car to occupy, you should assume a car will
occupy it. So be very vigilant and watch all vehicles carefully for
any intent to occupy the empty space. Watch for head movements, see
if the driver has acknowledged your presence, watch the front tires
of cars for movement, sudden braking, hesitation, signals, etc.

Lane splitting is a riding technique that requires the utmost
concentration and skill short of situation avoidance maneuvers. It
is not for everyone and as with all riding skills should be
practiced and learned gradually. If you do not feel comfortable
splitting lanes - DO NOT DO IT! It is not worth any time saving if
an injury should occur. But if you are comfortable with lane
splitting, do it carefully and safely so that the right to do it is
not taken away from us in order to "protect" us.

What's arrogant is your attitude. You don't know me and you do not know how I ride and you apparently do not know the laws here. And had I been cited I am sure it would have been for cause. I had 3 police officers on scene and all 3 stated that I did nothing wrong and was not in violation of any regulation or law that they could determine at the scene.. The primary reporting officer that did the investigation stated I was 0% at fault. The other driver is 100% at fault. 

I have the entire accident on video. That video was given to the CHP and both insurance companies.

I am sure when you were a police officer that you abided by the law and the vehicle codes. That is exactly what these officers did.

As a former Ca LEO. I can tell you what PR did is 100% legal here.

You should learn CA traffic laws before you pass judgement on CA drivers-in CA........;)

We call it 'lane-splitting' here-

PR-Why are you deal'n with her insurance co? That's YOUR insurance company's job.......

You pay'em to work for you-not the other way around.

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You should learn CA traffic laws before you pass judgement on CA drivers-in CA........;)

PR-Why are you deal'n with her insurance co? That's YOUR insurance company's job.......

OLG

Thank you.

Oh, I am not dealing with her insurance. My insurance company is. Her insurance just isn't responding to my insurance reps requests.

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you.

Oh, I am not dealing with her insurance. My insurance company is. Her insurance just isn't responding to my insurance reps requests.

That's SOP among insurance companies.

Who was her carrier?

OLG

From what Ali posted I see a whole lot of restrictions both written and unwritten on lane splitting here we just call it improper passing. 

And we all know that insurance companies don’t care about the law. They care about who could have avoided the crash 

1 minute ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When the heck are you going to get your butt to a Cowboy Match?

When work slows down and I get over this dang hernia surgery. But I can't ever seem to get caught up and folks throw weekend work at me.

Its Trumps fault.....

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Whoa!  So you can't bring ammo into the state, you have to wait to buy guns, you have to say pretty please to get a CCL, but you CAN lane split?  Definitely illegal here in Georgia.  I personally don't care, let em blow between cars at 70 mph.  There are bold motorcycle riders and there are old motorcyle riders, but there are no old, bold motorcycle riders.

Glad you're on the mend PR.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

When work slows down and I get over this dang hernia surgery. But I can't ever seem to get caught up and folks throw weekend work at me.

Its Trumps fault.....

Just say no and take a break.  I was planning on skipping the Doc Holiday's match Saturday, but if you commit to coming I'll be there.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

That's SOP among insurance companies.

Who was her carrier?

OLG

Infinity Insurance. This company gets a consistent 1 Star out of 5 Star ratings everywhere. 

I have Progressive through USAA. USAA does not insure motorcycles so they have a special contract with Progressive for their customers. 

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Just say no and take a break.  I was planning on skipping the Doc Holiday's match Saturday, but if you commit to coming I'll be there.

Well, I doubt I could make that work, my father in law...... just got a call....had a serious accident and was trapped in his car several hours before being found. They had to cut him out and life-flight him to Athens. This  would be rough on anyone but he's 74 or 75 years old. I'm here with kids so my wife can go see whats going on.

26 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Well, I doubt I could make that work, my father in law...... just got a call....had a serious accident and was trapped in his car several hours before being found. They had to cut him out and life-flight him to Athens. This  would be rough on anyone but he's 74 or 75 years old. I'm here with kids so my wife can go see whats going on.

I'm really sorry to hear that Dan!  I hope he is OK.  Maybe we'll shoot together later this year.

Archived