SASS Wire Forum

Brainstorm!

Utah Bob #35998

After watching the second video of an idiot asleep at the wheel going down the highway with his Tesla on auto pilot, I have come up with a brilliant solution. Before you can engage the auto pilot function you have to put on a Cpap mask. Then, while driving, if your eyes close or you let go of the wheel, a dose of skunk scent or ammonia is blasted into your nose. Instant awakening. Tragedy averted.

You’re welcome, Elon.

Butyric Acid

On a less technical level:

Butyric acid is a carboxylic acid found in rancid butter, parmesan cheese, and vomit, and has an unpleasant odor and acrid taste, with a sweetish aftertaste (similar to ether). Butyric acid is a fatty acid occurring in the form of esters in animal fats and plant oils.

I'm more concerned with the driver of the non-self driving car with his cell phone taking the video and not paying attention to the road themselves. :o

My personal opinion is that EVERY one of these "driving assist" features be banned!!  No lane change warnings. No stop assist. No "auto pilot"!  Not even that parallel parking feature or the trailer backing feature!!  If you can't perform these functions on your own you shouldn't be driving!!  If you can't safely navigate the streets in your vehicle, either get a vehicle you can handle or get a ride!!  GPS??  LEARN TO READ A MAP!! Plan your trip and learn your route ahead of time!! Too many drivers have driven straight off of the road or collided with others while watching their GPS!!  Your cell phone won't work from the driver's seat!! Either hand it to a passenger or put it down until you can pull over!!

Driving should NEVER be part of multi-tasking!!  Either drive or park and do whatever it is that's so damned important!!

If you are caught multi-tasking behind the wheel, the first fine should be $500.00 and loss of driving privileges for six months!  Second offense, $1,000.00 and a year in jail!!  Third offense, permanent loss of driving privileges and three years behind bars, WITHOUT POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE!!

Dumbing down the automobile is one of the very WORST things we have EVER done!!  There are people who JUST SHOULDN'T DRIVE!!!  Making it so they can is just plain wrong, AND DANGEROUS!!!!!

rant mode off.  soap box retracted.

10 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Butyric acid is also found in bananas.  That stuff in the high school chem lab gets on your hands, and it will take weeks to wear off! Guess how I know! :P

In high school the chem teacher brought the bottle out,  set it down on his demonstration table,  opened it for about 3 seconds.   That was all it took to fill the room with that wonderful aroma.

The railroad industry had to deal with operators sleeping in the cabs on long, lonely stretches of rail.  They installed a button that the operator had to push periodically, like once every minute or two, to prove they were awake and attentive.  If they didn't, the locomotive would stop and all H would break loose.

1 hour ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

The railroad industry had to deal with operators sleeping in the cabs on long, lonely stretches of rail.  They installed a button that the operator had to push periodically, like once every minute or two, to prove they were awake and attentive.  If they didn't, the locomotive would stop and all H would break loose.

But the rails keep the train from wandering.

At 60 MPH a car travels about 88 feet per second. That is just shy of 300 yards every 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

But the rails keep the train from wandering.

At 60 MPH a car travels about 88 feet per second. That is just shy of 300 yards every 10 seconds.

The rails don’t keep the train from plowing through cars at crossings though. ;)

GPS??  LEARN TO READ A MAP!!

Sorry, can't agree with that one.  If you are in unfamiliar territory reading a map is just not the ideal.  Especially if trying to navigate city streets that come up quickly.  And yes, I was taught in 4th grade how to read a map.  It is a skill that should still be taught in schools.

A friend of mine who drives a tour bus for a living threw his Garmin out the window one afternoon after driving around for half an hour, looking at his destination and being told by the GPS that he was going the wrong way!! 

After three tries, never getting closer than three blocks from the venue, he called the place and got correct directions.

Then there’s the episode with Jimmy Spurs a few years ago where he wound up out in a field somewhere while trying to get to the Bar3 ranch for Comin’AtCha!!

Perhaps GPS is good for something once in a while, but I find it less than reliable, especially when I have a current map and reliable directions.

YMMV

On 9/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

After watching the second video of an idiot asleep at the wheel going down the highway with his Tesla on auto pilot, I have come up with a brilliant solution. Before you can engage the auto pilot function you have to put on a Cpap mask. Then, while driving, if your eyes close or you let go of the wheel, a dose of skunk scent or ammonia is blasted into your nose. Instant awakening. Tragedy averted.

You’re welcome, Elon.

A dog fart into the CPAP machine will get the same result!

Trust me!  Been there, done that! :blink:

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

A friend of mine who drives a tour bus for a living threw his Garmin out the window one afternoon after driving around for half an hour, looking at his destination and being told by the GPS that he was going the wrong way!! 

After three tries, never getting closer than three blocks from the venue, he called the place and got correct directions.

Then there’s the episode with Jimmy Spurs a few years ago where he wound up out in a field somewhere while trying to get to the Bar3 ranch for Comin’AtCha!!

Perhaps GPS is good for something once in a while, but I find it less than reliable, especially when I have a current map and reliable directions.

YMMV

There was a fella up in Denver who had to block off his driveway because GPS was telling people it was the entrance to the freeway. :D He had to argue with them while they were sitting in his obvious driveway that led to his obvious garage. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE too Blackwater

NOTHING ..... absolutely NOTHING stops a train from plowing through cars at crossings.

I don't know about that.  Seems a distance of fifteen or twenty miles would give them time to stop....if they knew or cared that a car was in the crossing.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There was a fella up in Denver who had to block off his driveway because GPS was telling people it was the entrance to the freeway. :D He had to argue with them while they were sitting in his obvious driveway that led to his obvious garage. :rolleyes:

He should have changed it into a TOLL ROAD!

1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

He should have changed it into a TOLL ROAD!

Or Troll road. ;)

A couple of days ago I was out scouting my elk area and when I was leaving , on a whim I pushed the GPS button to go home. Lady said turn left on Lake Mary road and then turn right. Strange. I turned left and then got the command "Go offroad"!

Archived