SASS Wire Forum

.45-70 BP loads

Ron "Ironhead" Smith

So I've decided to try BP in the .45-70 Pedersoli Sharps.

I cast 1:20 alloy and size to .460, I have some SPG lube to start.

Bullets on hand are 325gr, 397gr and 400gr w/gascheck..

I have .030 brown wads from Buffalo Arms.

Is Graf's 2F powder what I want to use? Should I start with 70gr by volume uisng a muzzle loader measure? I know i want slight compression (1/8" or 1/10"?) and no airspace.

TIA.

You want a heavier bullet.

.460 dia is good in a 'Peter'.

Try the 500 gn RN military bullet.

Powder is measured by weight.

Start with .125(1/8")compression.

What will you fouling control routine be?

I really like Goex Old E 2F.

OLG

Howdy,

the bullet heads you’ve selected are good for 200 yards and 300 if the wind isn’t bad.  I prefer a 525 grain money bullet, spg lube, 62 grains of Swiss 1.5 and Winchester cases. I load powder by weight not volume as the load data I strive for is very specific.  I use a drop tube and custom compression die to fit the powder and achieve the results I’m looking for.  

There is a lot of trial and error that goes into accurate loads. Every rifle will like different combos. 

Enjoy the fun

Gringo

Thanks guys. I am aware of the range limitation of the lighter bullets, not an issue since only the CMP Talladega range exceeds 200 yards that is within my driving radius. They do shoot just fine with smokeless so I know the rifle does like them.

I have a drop tube and compression die that were given to me by the guy that gave me the wad material and punch. Fouling control to start will be a quick dry chamber brushing and if needed a swab of Ballistol and a dry patch or two until I learn what it needs.

Crimp? Light, firm or heavy? I'm going to put together 10-20 rounds later this week.

BTW- cases are Starline, primers are Federal.

Your loads will probably like no crimp as well as anything. Just straighten the case so it will chamber. 

Might want to be open to a blow tube for fouling control , although I don't know how it will be in Alabama. My only experience was in dry climates.

Good luck and good shooting.

Rex :D

I use a bullet that is 525 gr lubed with SPG, lubed felt wad, fiber wad, enough black FFFg goex to give a 1/16 compression with bullet seated to max length for the chamber I'm using it in.   I also use a heavy crimp.  This is shot in a trapdoor rifle, for SASS I never used a blow tube or wet patch.  1000 yards for money I used a blow tube.  I used a heavy crimp as the rounds were carried in a rifle box on my belt on top of a horse a lot.  Today with shots most under 100 yards I still load the same and the coyotes don't ask for a second round.

Ron,

just from my experience, don’t crimp.  I don’t like having the case affect bullet flight.  Star line cases will have slightly less case volume compared to Winchester cases.  As for fouling control, the two methods most used by competitors is 1. Wet swab between each shot or using a blow tube between each shot.  For nra matches that’s fine since you have 30 minutes to make your 10-14 shots.  In a sass side match it’s more speed based.  I can fire 5+ shots with no fouling control and have not seen any accuracy issues.  The difference is it’s sass targets vs x ring in nra matches. 

Ymmv

Gringo

Archived