SASS Wire Forum

Bent (?) extractor

Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L

I believe I bent the extractor on my Uberti 73 (44-40). The tip/hook does not appear to be broken but it will work if I apply pressure on the extractor when extracting the case.

Can it be bent back or should I order a new one?

(I had a hard to chamber round that I forced prior to the issue.)

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The factory one bends easy-

Also make sure you don't have crud built up under it.

OLG

Check that part first.  I can't remember who but somebody here makes a really neat little fixture your bolt fits on to make removal and reinstallation of the extractor pin quick and easy.

18 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Check that part first.  I can't remember who but somebody here makes a really neat little fixture your bolt fits on to make removal and reinstallation of the extractor pin quick and easy.

Kingsnake does.

Take the extractor out and see of the retaining pin is bent.  A bent pin can cause the extractor to feel loose like that.  You can get a replacement pin by using the end of an appropriately sized drill bit.

If you want to bend the extractor, the best way I’ve found is to place the extractor on a flat piece of lead and using the round end of a small ball peen hammer, tap the extractor in the center to create a bend.  I’ve had good luck using that method for bending tempered steel.

Check the tab on the bottom of your bolt, if broken off the extractor has nothing to press against and hold the case in place for extraction. 

If the extractor does not close down fully on the rim of the cartridge, it's either dirty under it, or considering you forced it over a rim recently, bent and there is no repair for it - just replace it  (the metal in the arm of the extractor is not very willing to take a re-bend).   If you haven't done a lot of your own rifle work, have a cowboy gunsmith put in the new one.

Good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Can it be bent back or should I order a new one?

Once it has bent, it has lost it's integrity and should be replaced.

I do make a bolt bench block for holding the 66/73 bolt secure for pin removal.

I was on the other posse at Prescott yesterday and had some bolt bench blocks with me. Too bad I didn't know about your problem then.

I'm just over the hill in Camp Verde.

Contact me at:

brucew@commspeed.net

if you're interested in a bolt bench block.

KingSnake

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The factory one bends easy-

Also make sure you don't have crud built up under it.

OLG

Checked that first.

35 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Check the tab on the bottom of your bolt, if broken off the extractor has nothing to press against and hold the case in place for extraction. 

It does not appear to be broken.

10 minutes ago, KingSnake said:

Once it has bent, it has lost it's integrity and should be replaced.

I do make a bolt bench block for holding the 66/73 bolt secure for pin removal.

I was on the other posse at Prescott yesterday and had some bolt bench blocks with me. Too bad I didn't know about your problem then.

I'm just over the hill in Camp Verde.

Contact me at:

brucew@commspeed.net

if you're interested in a bolt bench block.

KingSnake

Sent you an e-mail.

I guess I will order a new extractor.

I sent my 73 bolt to J&J Gunsmithing , Jere Korthanke in Edmond, Ok for him to install an after market extractor with a coil spring under the tail end and it has worked flawlessly for 4 years now. I can pm you his phone and address if your interested. I called him first to make sure he was home and he got them back to me in less than 2 weeks after I mail them. Cost was around $45 to $55 dollars. Actually have sent him 2 over the last 4 years. I think it’s the best mod for the money one can get for a 73. 

I have made a bench block fixture for uberti bolts for many years.  Also sold at Online Outpost.  Quite handy for removing extractors.

https://onlineoutpost.net/product/extractor-lower-tab-remover-bolt-block-uberti-1873-1866-1860/

Archived