SASS Wire Forum

Do you "roll up" bread fough?

Alpo

Was reading a recipe. "Knead it, let it rise, divid it into two pieces, shape the pieces into a loaf and put them in the pans, let them rise again, bake".

Shape into a loaf.

I'm sure that somewhere I've seen a movie where they took the bread dough, rolled it out to about 3 in thick, then rolled it up like a cigar or a Swiss cake roll. They then plopped the cylinder of dough into the bread pan.

Is that normal - that they flatten it then roll it up into a tube?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I'm sure that somewhere I've seen a movie where they took the bread dough, rolled it out to about 3 in thick, then rolled it up like a cigar or a Swiss cake roll. They then plopped the cylinder of dough into the bread pan.

Is that normal - that they flatten it then roll it up into a tube?

I bet that some sort of filling or seasoning was spread on the "frough" before it was rolled up. 

IN THE BOOK, :P a little country store had loaves of fresh bread on the counter by the door. Every day this one customer would steal one as he went out. Just casually grab the last loaf on the counter and go out the door.

So the storekeeper told his wife to bake a loaf with a dirty sock in it, and he put it as the closest loaf to the door, and the man took it.

Never stole bread again.

Just got wondering how you would bake a dirty sock in a loaf of bread. Remembered seeing them roll the bread dough up. Thought, yeah, lay the sock lengthwise on the dough and roll it up. That would work.

That would work if you roll up bread dough. :D

I reckon you put the sock in just before you make the last fold while kneading. Never heard of rolling it. Just knead, proof it and stuff it in the pan.

Yes, that is normal. During the kneading and first rise it can get a lot of large air pockets/bubbles in it and they will get larger in the second rise. It needs to be flattened and rolled tight to get all the bubbles out so all air pockets are small and even and no large holes in the finished loaf. 

Apparently I’ve been making bread wrong for years. Who knew?

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I bet that some sort of filling or seasoning was spread on the "frough" before it was rolled up. 

I had a bit of a "frough" in college, but that doesn't make me an expert.

21 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Apparently I’ve been making bread wrong for years. Who knew?

Making bread the traditional way takes too much time and effort but does give the best results and texture. As cheap as regular store bought bread is now days, most people wouldn't think it was worth their time or use bread makers, new quick yeasts, dough hooks and other shortcuts that are available. 

I guess the old way is kind of a dying art that few do anymore. I learned from my grandmother and I actually had my own bakery for a while. 

8 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’ve used a froe quite often.

I was stuck on an ice froe once. Got chased there by a Powar Bear.

56 minutes ago, Chicken George* said:

Making bread the traditional way takes too much time and effort but does give the best results and texture. As cheap as regular store bought bread is now days, most people wouldn't think it was worth their time or use bread makers, new quick yeasts, dough hooks and other shortcuts that are available. 

I guess the old way is kind of a dying art that few do anymore. I learned from my grandmother and I actually had my own bakery for a while. 

My paternal granny was not a good cook. Not really surprising. She was English, left home at 15, and hopped a ship to Canada.

My maternal granny surprisingly was not a good cook either. And she was from Alabama.

In her defense, she had to cook for 7 children, so quantity won out over quality I guess. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have eaten Faux bread though.

:lol:

E3F26315-D6A6-4279-A414-ABF91D1F134C.jpeg

Edible?  well kinda !  I think if you opened me up at death, you will find some of this still trying to digest - Heavy..VERY Heavy.

STL Suomi

21 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have eaten Faux bread though.

:lol:

E3F26315-D6A6-4279-A414-ABF91D1F134C.jpeg

This can be soaked in JP-4 and used to heat the edible parts of C rations.

Duffield

23 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

This can be soaked in JP-4 and used to heat the edible parts of C rations.

Duffield

You can also form it into a bowl, fill it with black powder, close the bowl off  and pinch it shut and let it dry out for a week and it makes a handy bread grenade

54 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

You can also form it into a bowl, fill it with black powder, close the bowl off  and pinch it shut and let it dry out for a week and it makes a handy bread grenade

You know this how?  Hmmmmm?    Make sure you get it on video.  You might win $10,000 on America's Funniest Videos.

Archived