SASS Wire Forum

WTC: two loaded revolvers

This weeded there was a situation that I didn't know exactly the call should be. 

The stage scenario called for shooting 6 targets in a 1-3-1-1-3-1 sweep. I was shooting in the duelist category. When I shot my first revolver I miss counted and shot 1-2-1. At that point I holstered my first revolver, pull and cocked my second revolver. At this point the TO says you have one more in the first revolver. I then pull the first revolver and fire the last round. So now I have a procedural for shooting the targets out of order and having two loaded revolvers in hand at the same time. I was given a procedural penalty. What is the penalty for two loaded hand guns in the hand at the same time? Should I received an additional penalty. I can't find any thing in the handbook except that I can't have 2 loaded revolvers in hand at the same time.

It is normally a penalty for shooting out of category. P the first time, SDQ the second, MDQ the third.

But you already earned a P for shooting a 1-2-1. Can't get 2.

FWIW...

The Two Loaded Revolvers penalty is correctible until the point that one gun was cocked.

Hindsight, all other things being equal, you could have shot your second pistol that was already cocked on targets 5-9 and then the one left in the first gun on target 10.

see also: 

http://www.oowss.com/TG Mtg Notes WR 2017 - UPDATED 2018.pdf

I read through the information and TG Meeting notes. Thank you Branchwater Jack for posting that reference. I can see this type of question has come up before, but unless someone has encountered the situation before, or pays close attention to the WTC it is difficult to decide based on the Handbook alone.

1 hour ago, Russ The Red said:

I read through the information and TG Meeting notes. Thank you Branchwater Jack for posting that reference. I can see this type of question has come up before, but unless someone has encountered the situation before, or pays close attention to the WTC it is difficult to decide based on the Handbook alone.

At no time shall the competitor have two loaded revolvers in hand at once. 

SHB p.6 - Duelist category regs

The penalty is the progressive P/SDQ/MDQ for "shooting out of category".

Shooting out of category – failure to adhere to category-specific requirements/restrictions. 

SHB p.45

REF also: "Penalties Overview" - SHB pp. 22-24

The "WtC?" clarification refers to the point at which the penalty applies.

20 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.6 - Duelist category regs

The penalty is the progressive P/SDQ/MDQ for "shooting out of category".

SHB p.45

REF also: "Penalties Overview" - SHB pp. 22-24

The "WtC?" clarification refers to the point at which the penalty applies.

First of all, I am greatly appreciative of the time and effort you put into the Wire and all of the other things you do in SASS. I am beginning to wonder if there are two of you! I have gone back and re-read the Handbook and can see I did not understand the Shooting out of Category well enough. This string of comments, and your guidance, has helped me better understand the "progressive" penalty. 

We cannot blame the R.O., but this is a good example of when it is best to keep silent. 

After you had holstered, if you shot everything else correctly, it would have only been a miss.

But you likely knew that :D

7 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Hindsight, all other things being equal, you could have shot your second pistol that was already cocked on targets 5-9 and then the one left in the first gun on target 10.

Wouldn't he then still have a holstered revolver with a live round chambered under the hammer? 

24 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Wouldn't he then still have a holstered revolver with a live round chambered under the hammer? 

How??

Only if he had decocked on the unfired round before holstering the first revolver.
If he fired 4, holstered (hammer on last fired case), then fired 5, then fired the one left in the 1st revolver, there are no live rounds left in either revolver.

A scorekeeper who might be trying to plan ahead would record on the scoresheet that the P on this stage "came from having two loaded revolvers in hands" when category does not allow it.

Then, if the shooter makes the same mistake again, the correct progression of penalties would be obvious that he had would earn a SDQ on the next stage where this might occur.

Since a P for "targets not shot in correct order" is never involved in a progressive penalty, record the more serious one on any given stage.

Good luck, GJ

15 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

We cannot blame the R.O., but this is a good example of when it is best to keep silent. 

After you had holstered, if you shot everything else correctly, it would have only been a miss.

He earned the P when he shot the 3rd target. If he did not fire the round left in the 1st revolver, P and a miss.

Archived