SASS Wire Forum

Help figure out this rifle

Chicken George*

A friend of mine ended up with this gun after a relative passed on. He doesn't know anything about it other than it was used for deer hunting. He would like to know more about it. He doesn't even know what caliber it is and would like to shoot it. He sent me these pictures (not the best) and said that the serial number and the WZ. 29 are the only markings. So to me, it looks like a completely custom rifle built with an old Polish Mauser action. I would guess that it is chambered in some common deer hunting caliber. Would it be hard to figure out or is it best to take it to a local gunsmith? Any help would be appreciated. imagejpeg_0_04.thumb.jpg.6d519bd83b26669d710429957782822d.jpgimagejpeg_0.thumb.jpg.edf2e7f81b1815963a4ad0cf85804b6f.jpgimagejpeg_0_03.thumb.jpg.d25951e76afed61195ca426ab13e6064.jpgimagejpeg_0_02.thumb.jpg.54ee587f27b8330185cd2abd30546173.jpg

You can do a chamber cast then take measurements to determine the caliber or take it to a competant gunsmith who will likely do the same.

Even with the Polish Mauser receiver the barrel could have been replaced with most any caliber.

It might be worth while to take the action out of the stock and see if there are any other additional markings that may be on the underside of the barrel or action.

Dollar to a doughnut it’s still 8mm.

But cast the chamber for sure.

9 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Dollar to a doughnut it’s still 8mm.

But cast the chamber for sure.

You can't see the end of the barrel in the pictures so I asked if it has that famous Polish Mauser front sight. He said that he doesn't think it has any front sight and the barrel doesn't look old. I guess I'm assuming that the barrel is knew rather than refinished. Would someone be able to find and want to put on another barrel in that 8mm caliber? 

1 hour ago, Chicken George* said:

You can't see the end of the barrel in the pictures so I asked if it has that famous Polish Mauser front sight. He said that he doesn't think it has any front sight and the barrel doesn't look old. I guess I'm assuming that the barrel is knew rather than refinished. Would someone be able to find and want to put on another barrel in that 8mm caliber? 

Yes, quite possibly.  I had a surplus K98 that I bought for around $50. (I already had a M70 Winchester (pre-64).  I was concerned that if I left it 8mm Mauser, I might mix cartridges and get an 8mm round in my -06.  The gunsmith at my local rifle range changed out the barrel and chambered it for .30-06.  He also cut the bolt handle off and rewelded it bent downward.  I had him restock it, and drilled and tapped the receiver for a scope.  I don't want to tell you what the whole thing cost in 1964 dollars! :rolleyes:  Anyhow, I later bought another M70 and was up Montana-way and wanted a pronghorn rifle in 6mm Remington. So I had a smith up there swap the .30-06 barrel for a long-throated 6mm Rem. 

The thing to do is "slug" the barrel and make or have a gunsmith make a chamber casting.  For that, you buy low-melting point bismuth allow, Cerro-Safe (Dixie Gun Works or Brownells).  You plug the barrel just ahead of the chamber with a cleaning patch.  Melt the metal in a tin can or other container that you have bent to a pouring spout.  You can heat the can over a pot of boiling water, as the melting point is low. Pour the molten metal into the chamber (you might want to make a funnel out of some aluminum foil.  When it cools, drive it out of the chamber.  Let it cool for about 15 minutes and it will first shrink and then re-expand to its original size in the chamber.  You can then measure it with a micrometer and compare the dimensions with those shown in one of the handloading books.  You also should have a gunsmith check the headspace with appropriate gages! 

Archived