SASS Wire Forum

Electronic Scoring - getting started

Smokey Bandit

Anybody have an overview and recommendations for moving from paper to electronic scoring?

- Best App choice (probably Practiscore or CAS)?

- Hardware required - recommended tablets, other required hardware? (our range doesn't have wifi)

- point me in the direction of "how to"

- other things to consider?

Thanks in advance!

- SB

The inexpensive Kindle Fires run Practiscore just fine. You do need wifi to sync the tablets otherwise wifi is not needed. If you turn off the WiFI on the Kindle when it is not being used they will run all day on a single charge.

Here is what I boughtFire 7 Tablet (7" display, 8 GB) - Black - (Previous Generation - 7th)

Put them in these Kids Case for All-New Fire 7 2019/2017 to make them easy to carry and protect against dropping. Use a different color for each tablet.

If you have no AC available here is a WiFi router that will work off of 12 VDC

4 Port Wireless 12V DC & 110V AC Router 300 mbps

Down load Practiscore from the app store and set up a match and learn all the features.  You can print the scores to PDF (use landscape format) and then when you have an internet connection email them to all the shooters.

Practiscore is the choice of most. And it is free.

To put WIFI on your range - Obtain a wireless router. Set the router up at home or work just like you would if it was going to operate there. Once you have it set up you can unplug it and take it to the range and use it as the router no longer requires internet.

If no power is available, use a car battery and an inverter or plug into a generator. 

You can also use your phone as a mobile hot spot to create a local wifi for sync.  Just turn it on, sync for 30 seconds, turn it back off.   

Practiscore is good.  The menus are a bit confusing the first couple of times through but after the 2nd or third time you will be an old pro.  

We run it on old 2nd Gen iPads that were donated.  

1 minute ago, Smokey Bandit said:

So as far as syncing goes, each device just need to sync via hotspot for a minute and then all the results will be available?  Is there any need for a laptop/master device?

You sync the devices over bluetooth. I believe,  I get an email with the match pin, download the match over the internet then sync that to my Ipad at the range. no need to do that i just like to have a backup copy on the phone. WIFI is not needed until you upload scores to practiscore
I'm not sure on the master device. we've never done that nor does it appear to be needed as all devices can be the master. if you are running more than one wifi enabled device it is highly recommended to get the devices synced to begin the match then turn on airplane mode to avoid issues. that way a device can have it's data corrected before it uploads and screws everyone up. 

1 hour ago, Smokey Bandit said:

So as far as syncing goes, each device just need to sync via hotspot for a minute and then all the results will be available?  Is there any need for a laptop/master device?

When using PractiScore one of the tablets acts as the master. You then sync all the other tablets to it.

Don't think the Kindle Fire's will sync via bluetooth.  I'll try it tonight and see.

3 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

You sync the devices over bluetooth. I believe,  I get an email with the match pin, download the match over the internet then sync that to my Ipad at the range. no need to do that i just like to have a backup copy on the phone. WIFI is not needed until you upload scores to practiscore
I'm not sure on the master device. we've never done that nor does it appear to be needed as all devices can be the master. if you are running more than one wifi enabled device it is highly recommended to get the devices synced to begin the match then turn on airplane mode to avoid issues. that way a device can have it's data corrected before it uploads and screws everyone up. 

The devices sync via WIFI.

They do not sync automatically. Only when told to.

You can run it on a desktop or laptop with an Android simulator program such as Android Studio.

6 hours ago, Smokey Bandit said:

Correct.

An example of how this works (Note, there are many ways to do this stuff in Practiscore):

1. Take one device and build the match.  That includes creating the event and creating the stages.
  2. Register shooters on the device that has the match active.
  3. Assign shooters to posses.  
  4. Now, turn on other devices and sync with the master.  Now each device has an exact copy of all the info from the master.
  5. Go run the event, record scores, add extra shooter to a posse, etc.  All devices are equal in terms of the match at this point.
  6.  Gather devices back together and sync devices.
  7.  Now, each device has a copy of the completed event.  Use one of them to read off final results.
  8.  Email the reports off the device to post to websites, etc.  Usually done back at home with real wifi.

I have a small bag with Amazon Fire tablets (super cheap), a small 2"x2" portable wifi router and a small portable phone charger.  Everything I need to build/sync matches with Practiscore.  After the match we pass around a tablet so everyone can see the scores, then I post them when I get home to Facebook and our website.

But, if you wanted to use your phone hot spot, that would work as well.  We just don't get good enough cell coverage at our range.

Also note, you can keep the shooters handbook, miss workflow, penalty reference sheet, etc on the tablets so they are easy reference at every stage.

41iTiGY+3jL._SX679_.jpg

817e2H5WMgL._SL1500_.jpg

Totes has is right,  we have been using ACES with the HooToo portable router for over 5 years. Plenty of battery power to use on the range. Follow Johnny Longpants instructions and you'll be fine. Here is link to Amazon for the current version of the HooToo portable router.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LHG47K/?coliid=I15LIL8UPZOQUM&colid=28FJLN0C4LP6E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

TB

How do you add additional categories on Practiscore? I'm working on moving our club to electronic scoring but haven't figured this out yet. We have some non-SASS categories like Cody-Dixon and Sharpshooter.

4 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

How do you add additional categories on Practiscore? I'm working on moving our club to electronic scoring but haven't figured this out yet. We have some non-SASS categories like Cody-Dixon and Sharpshooter.

Edit Shooters/Squads then click More, then click Divisions and add what you want.

One important thing to point out is that the menus on the ipad version are slightly different than the Android version. And the menus will be slightly different when installed on a phone vs tablet. 

The differences are minor but just wanted to point that out.

If you have problems or suggestions be sure to fill out a bug report.  The programmers have been very receptive to fixes and improvements.

https://practiscore.on.spiceworks.com/portal/tickets

https://practiscore.com/

9 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

How do they differ in the match building process? One of our goals is to have multiple people able to do the registration. Are they about they same in that aspect? Do they score bonus time? 

You could build the match, then sync to get the match out, then register people on multiple devices, then sync to get all shooters on all devices and build posses on one of them and then sync to get posse definitions out to all devices.  Lot of syncing but thankfully it is easy and quick to sync. 

Yes, you can score bonuses with Practicscore.

18 hours ago, Johnny Longpants said:

1.  Email the reports off the device to post to websites, etc.  Usually done back at home with real wifi.

When you email the reports to post, are the reports in PDF or HTML format?

8 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

When you email the reports to post, are the reports in PDF or HTML format?

The are .pdf format, easy to post to a web site.

TB

18 minutes ago, Grey Beard said:

Is there a help function or somewhere I can go to help me figure out how to build a CAS match?  I'm not real tech savvy!

Thanks in advance

Which program are you using ACES or Practiscore?

3 hours ago, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

Which program are you using ACES or Practiscore?

Currently we use ACES but are looking at other options since we can't download the ACES program any longer.

1 hour ago, Cholla Bob said:

Practiscore help is pretty good its all screenshots so you can see what you need to do.

https://www.practiscore.com/tutorials/faqs

Thanks Cholla Bob.  I'll look through this and see if I can figure it out. 

Here is the link to download ACES if you want to use that.

http://acesscoring.com/download

TB

Those still using ACES on old Apple devices are having better luck in general.  We started out on ipods a long time ago with it.  Worked good.  Then went Android with larger screen tablets.  The android version worked "ok" for us for quite a few years but it's still got quirks that just don't go away, even with completely wiping everything out and starting over with a new shooter database.  Android ACES has random problems with the overall list not working at all especially with larger matches (reproduced it at more than 1 club).  It also has frequent sync issues when trying to use multiple devices (apple version was far better for this).  Lastly it's output for printing isn't as good.  We recently switched to Practiscore on android and it's far, far more stable and better formatting for printing.  No real issues to speak of right now.

With ACES now being entirely abandoned for several years, I would not expend any time or resources getting it working unless you are already using it on old Apple devices.  Since you can no longer easily purchase Apple devices with a version of iOS that will run ACES, this isn't worth the effort to get working if you don't already own everything and are trying to keep it going.

Just start with Practiscore and go from there.  It'll save massive frustration later.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:23 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

Edit Shooters/Squads then click More, then click Divisions and add what you want.

Finally got around to trying this thank you!

31 minutes ago, Houston CAS said:

In Practiscore, is there a way to not require first and last name and just use Alias?

We just put a blank space in for both. The Alias is all that shows up in the reports. But to answer your question no, not at this time.

Archived