SASS Wire Forum

Skipping ahead on a book

Rye Miles #13621

I'm reading this book by John Grisham and it's starting to bore me! It's 737 pages, great story but it drags on and on and on..........I went to the last chapter yesterday and finished it! SHAME on me! I get an F.

Do you ever do that??

Nope. Never have.

With a book NO; however, there have been times when changing channels on TV to catch a new episode of a non-series show, and get there a little TOO early and end up seeing the ending of another episode, which I had not seen.

Kind of spoils it when that episode comes up later.

Book I read years back (Peter Benchley's The Island? Maybe?). All year long when this guy found a paperback that looked interesting he would buy it, and toss it in a box. Came summertime he would get on his boat and go cruise the Caribbean. And at night, at anchor, he would dig a book out of the box to read.

If the book did not live up to its promise - if it would drag, or he had to force himself to read it - he'd just toss it over the side.

That seemed like a wonderful idea.

So now if I'm reading something and it bogs down, I don't skip to the back to see how it ends. I just throw it away and get another book.

I almost did once while reading "Insomnia" by King.  Glad I didn't afterwards.  Almost 800 pages, and the damn thing will bore the hell out of you for the entire first half of the book, then it takes off like a bat outta hell!

Yes, once.  The set up for the actual story in the second half of the book was so boring that I started skipping ahead and skimming the beginning of the chapters until things picked up.  When I reread the book, I read it cover to cover.

I once just walked away from a half finished book and have never even though of picking it back up to finish it.

Sort of.

I don't recall ever having done it on a novel I've never read before. However, a novel that I am re-reading I have been known to skip past some of the more boring parts. I will also sometimes flip to check later or the final pages of books on history or biographies (those and Eastern religion and philosophy make up the bulk of my reading). I only do it if something I read creates a question in my mind, though.

My first time was the book I'm reading now. The author repeated an earlier section. Unfortunately, it was, so far, the most horridly gory section in the book. I did not need to read it twice. Thank you very much; I remember it quite well.

Don't read if you are squeamish. (In that section one of two sisters had the bad guy try to gouge her eyeballs out, shot her in the head, and buried her alive.)

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm reading this book by John Grisham and it's starting to bore me! It's 737 pages, great story but it drags on and on and on..........I went to the last chapter yesterday and finished it! SHAME on me! I get an F.

Do you ever do that??

Grisham has a habit of writing books that drag on and on then race to an ending, That is why I stopped reading his books 

8 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Grisham has a habit of writing books that drag on and on then race to an ending, That is why I stopped reading his books 

Yes he did the same thing with his most recent, The Reckoning. I skipped about 3 chapters that dragged on forever after he went back in time!

I have never skipped to the end of a book. If it gets too boring for too long I end it. Sometimes when I read Stephen King I would get bored but toughed it out to be surprised or shocked but there was a culmination.

I am racking my brain for the book and author, but years ago I was reading a really long book and it was just too boring. I set it aside. A friend insisted I must continue as it was excellent further in. So I picked it up and continued. The ending was awful! I confronted my friend about this and he laughed and told me that now he wasn’t alone in actually finishing that book. I could have strung him up. It’s funny now but wasn’t then. That was the last time.

I will not tough out a boring book. I don’t care how it ends. 

10 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I read 2 or 3 a week. If it sucks enough for me to skip ahead, it sucks enough for me to quit reading it.

There you go.  I've started dozens of books thatI'll never finish.  same thing when Iwas writing books.  If I got to where I was boring myself I'd quit.

Many times if a book loses my interest I’ll put it aside and read some others and eventually pick it up and read it. Sometimes that will get the interest going again.

I never have and doubt I ever would.

I do have an old and dear friend who always does.  She'll pick up a book and read the ending to decide if the book is worth reading.  :blink:

Powerful reader; now a retired schoolteacher.  When she was younger (heck, we were ALL younger!) she'd go to A's or Giants baseball games with her husband and me, and would take along a new book.  Always have it finished before the end of the game.  :huh:

As some have said, if it's that bad then I will just stop reading and get another book. I didn't start doing that until the last few years, always pushed on to finish it, but was reading a dreadfully written genre book for snack food entertainment and just couldn't take the horrible writing, the internal logical inconsistencies, the poor characterization, the nonsensesical plot, and I thought well there has to be either a better book or something else better to do. So I quit reading it. Now I start a book and having read more than a few thousand in my life, I feel for me, that I quickly get a sense of whether or not I will like the book, or in the case of genre reading like the junk food. So no, I don't waste time on what I find to be garbage anymore. 

Never have skipped ahead when reading a book. 

Have done it with a couple of movies. 

When I first started reading Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time books they were really good. However as the books progressed he started getting too detailed about things that had no relevance to the story line so I lost interest. 

The first book in Steven King’s Dark Tower series is a little boring but I stuck it out as it is key to understanding Roland in the rest of the books. 

Archived