SASS Wire Forum

What's the best way to do velcro?

Alpo

I want to put a holster inside a pocket. It seems like the best way would be to put velcro inside the pocket, and on the back of the holster. Put it where it needs to go and push.

This way when the vest is dirty I can remove the leather holster before laundering it.

IMG_20190908_225532.thumb.jpg.0c01ef08dc4b0b7291a41d4a84382389.jpg

About there in that big patch pocket. I plan to cut both the paddle (which I have bent straight in the picture) and the thumbsnap off, leaving a plain pouch/pocket for the pistol to sit in.

Velcro, as I'm sure everyone knows, is plastic hooks on one piece and cloth fuzzies on the other.

Would it be better - a stronger bond, maybe - to have the plastic hooks in the pocket and the fuzzy on the holster, or the other way round?

My experience is the hook side is harder to cleanand remove fuzzy stuff then the loop side.

I would put the loops in side the pocket and the hooks on the holster.

It comes out  and can be brushed clean. of lint

X2, the hook material should be on the holster and the loop side should be sewn in the pocket.  

When you are not carrying that holster, the loop material will not impede use of the pocket.  The loop material can grab the other side of the pocket (holding it closed) or hook onto items you put in the pocket.

I was thinking the opposite. If you ever want to slip that holster into another pocket, like cargo pants or a thin jacket the plastic hooks can get pretty itchy on the skin.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was thinking the opposite. If you ever want to slip that holster into another pocket, like cargo pants or a thin jacket the plastic hooks can get pretty itchy on the skin.

Just cover them with another piece of Velcro

Line all your pockets in all your clothes with Velcro. What could go wrong? ;)

I have found the the weight on one side of the vest feels uncomfortable ....to me anyway. 

So when I have a vest on, which is usually my garb, I wear an iwb holster.

In the winter time, when wearing pants with a belt, the gun is on the belt.

In summertime I'm usually wearing gym shorts. Elastic waist does not go well with anything heavy. Gun on waist band pulls shorts to knees. Thus gun in pocket. Wallet and keys in pocket on other side, creating balance.

But if I just put the gun in the pocket it moves all around as I walk. If the pocket were smaller - a hand warmer type pocket, as is on my winter vest - that does great. The gun doesn't move. But the pocket on this thing is about 8 by 10. And if I use a gun big enough that it wouldn't move around - a full-size Government Model comes to mind - it's too heavy. Even a casual glance would show it.

I agree with putting the "hook" on the holster and the "loop" in the pocket....

HOWEVER........

Be aware most retail hook and loop you find won't restrain more than a few ounces, to a pound at the most.  It's not designed for what you are trying to do.  Take a look at "industrial" grade hook and loop.  At the very least, it will give you the weight it will support.  I would hate for you to go through all this work to have it come apart and have the holster or gun fall out of your pocket.

On 9/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Alpo said:

Like this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VELCRO-Brand-4-in-x-2-in-Industrial-Strength-Strips-2-Pack-90199/202261921

velcro-brand-hook-loop-90199-64_1000.jpg

I was looking for large - the stuff I have is ¾". Bigger piece means less sewing. The industrial strength was a bonus.

DO NOT buy any that has an adhesive backing. It is all but impossible to sew. 

Alpo,

It would be much easier to attach nylon pocket holster with Velcro.  Take a look at the link below of an Uncle Mike's pocket holster.  As a leather maker, I'll tell you this would be much easier to sew through than leather.  I've used this brand and different DeSantis holsters for pocket carry or for holster in my wife's purse.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101410511

I would not epoxy fabric.  It's too porous.  The seepage would crate quite a mess.  Some fabric stores carry heavy duty hook and loop that you can stitch on.  The problem still is having enough surface area with hook and loop to handle the weight of the gun.  Let me cogitate on this for a bit and I'll let you know if I come up with any solutions.

• 1 month later...

Way-ull. Finally got it done, and it don't work.

IMG_20191021_145210.thumb.jpg.db68226a9094e46b6d054250a8e23507.jpg

IMG_20191021_150348.thumb.jpg.1fb7e1a673cafc3c38221629bc73f534.jpg

Trimmed the extraneous off the holster. Put the hooks on the backside (the hooks on that heavy duty stuff looks completely different than the hooks on the regular stuff). Put the fuzzy stuff inside the pocket on the side up against me.

The problem is that the vest itself is so thin. While the velcro held the holster fine, the vest material would not support the holstered revolver. It just - leeeaaaaned over. Still stuck to the vest, but now horizontal to the floor, instead of vertical.

Ah weeeeel. The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft a-gley

And from the title of this post, I thought Alpo was serving Velcro at Thanksgiving and was asking for preparation methods.:)

I mixed up some epoxy and use that to glue the fuzzy onto the cloth.  The hook I glued on the removable part.  Epoxy soaked through the fuzzy making it worthless.

Did you happen to look at the picture in the original post? The pocket in question is 8 inches square.

I am unaware of anyone that makes a pocket holster for an 8" x 8" pocket.

You stitch the pocket down to fit the holster. You could also stitch the holster into the pocket.  You want the holster to stay in the pocket, right?

Uncle Mike ‘s are well made and inexpensive, you could glue one into several different garments with odd sized pockets if you wanted to.

Archived