SASS Wire Forum

Target hangers part of target?

Dusty Devil Dale

Setting up targets the other day, I got to wondering about the finger of the target hanger that protrudes through the steel plate.   They are commonly hit by bullets, and there is usually a flare of radiating lead splatter all around them from ricocheting fragments that strike them and ricochet a second time.   

But what about the portion of the hanger that sometimes protrudes a half inch or so above the target topline.   How should a spotter treat a hit on that portion that is outside the normal target outline (but it still stops a bullet and makes a "ding".) 

Perhaps the best idea is for the higher extending hangers to just be sawn or ground off below the target top line. 

Thoughts? 

I've heard the Judge say that a hit on a target stand was a hit... (once, once upon a time, many, many years ago.  But, I've also heard it said, far more recently and often, "...it didn't hit the "target", therefore a miss".  

For the last 15 years, target stands have not been considered part of the target, at all major matches I've attended.   It is difficult sometimes to tell a stand hit from a target hit.  In that case, we do the best we can, call what you believe you saw, and let the TO sort out what was seen by the majority of the spotting trio.

Good luck, GJ

If I'm a spotter and the bullet hits the little 'finger' that  holds the target,  its a HIT.

If the bullet hits the stand, its a miss.

As mentioned above, if I ain't sure, its a hit.

I think some clubs have differing guidelines on these things.

..........Widder

Archived