SASS Wire Forum

Siri

Utah Bob #35998

Or Alexa or whatever elektrik assistant you use.....

If you say “Hey thing, play My Way”, how does it know which version you want?

Siri scares me a little, but I still use her/it to find stuff when I’m away from home.

Once I asked Siri to talk dirty to me and she/it said “vacuum cleaner”.  

I didn’t pursue things after that.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Say “Play My Way by (the artist)”

But that’s not what they do on the commercials!!

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Commercials Lie! ;)

Damn! That changes everything!:blink:

Siri (or Alexa) decides which version to play by reviewing your postings, mentions, and likes on social media; your purchase history at local stores; your credit card billing, your online browsing and e-mail, and any conversations it overheard for the past 30 days.

You know -- the same way the NSA would.

5 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Siri (or Alexa) decides which version to play by reviewing your postings, mentions, and likes on social media; your purchase history at local stores; your credit card billing, your online browsing and e-mail, and any conversations it overheard for the past 30 days.

You know -- the same way the NSA would.

Yeah, they do it “Their Way”. :lol:

I read an article about how Alexa differentiates between you talking to Alexa and talking about Alexa. Alexa also has a vast store of commercials in its database so that it does not respond to your tv.. it also has algorithms for recognizing a new, previously unknown commercial.

And this is why East Coast Filly absolutely refuses to have one of them things in the house! She's even a little freaked out by all the voice commands our new truck recognizes.

Try watching star trek with Alexa if you change it's response word to computer. It will wake and try to respond to whatever they are saying on the show whenever a character says "computer." How do I know? Well have a wiretap - I mean echo dot I got as a gift - to spy on me - I mean to use - and I changed the name to computer since I grew up watching the original star trek and thought it would be cool plus less anthropomorphic than a persons name. Then my oldest moved back home to work and finish school and she has the entire original Star Trek series, the entire Next Generation series, the entire Deep Space Nine series, the entire Voyager series, and the entire Enterprise series. She enjoys watching them on the TV and the echo dot responds every dang time some character says "computer." The odd thing is that if you tell the echo dot to beam you up it will respond with beam up sounds, if you ask it to fire phasers it will make phaser sounds, and it you ask it to open the pod bay doors it will say - "I'm sorry Dave I can't do that."

4 hours ago, Raylan said:

Try watching star trek with Alexa if you change it's response word to computer. It will wake and try to respond to whatever they are saying on the show whenever a character says "computer." How do I know? Well have a wiretap - I mean echo dot I got as a gift - to spy on me - I mean to use - and I changed the name to computer since I grew up watching the original star trek and thought it would be cool plus less anthropomorphic than a persons name. Then my oldest moved back home to work and finish school and she has the entire original Star Trek series, the entire Next Generation series, the entire Deep Space Nine series, the entire Voyager series, and the entire Enterprise series. She enjoys watching them on the TV and the echo dot responds every dang time some character says "computer." The odd thing is that if you tell the echo dot to beam you up it will respond with beam up sounds, if you ask it to fire phasers it will make phaser sounds, and it you ask it to open the pod bay doors it will say - "I'm sorry Dave I can't do that."

Now I know what I'll be doing while sitting on the couch later tonight!  HEHEHE

13 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

For a man of your taste and sophistication Bob, there is only one version for it to play.

I agree of course. 

20 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Siri scares me a little, but I still use her/it to find stuff when I’m away from home.

Once I asked Siri to talk dirty to me and she/it said “vacuum cleaner”.  

I didn’t pursue things after that.

Ask Siri to tell you a dirty joke.:P My wife did that and, let's just say, the result was underwhelming. 

23 hours ago, Raylan said:

All of which means it's LISTENING!!  No thanks.

I'm pretty sure they just play whatever version is most popular.  I've seen ours play different versions of a song on consecutive days. 

Wait, you can change the name to something other than echo or alexa?  That must be new.  I have some ideas for what it should answer to. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Wait, you can change the name to something other than echo or alexa?

The only options on mine through the app was either the default "Alexa" or the option of "Computer."

On 9/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Commercials Lie! ;)

Or do they just use alternate facts? :lol:

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

They found a way to get Americans to put microphones in there homes. 

Well said J.B.

And everything else they need to know can be found on Facebook. 

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

They found a way to get Americans to put microphones in there homes. 

17 minutes ago, Fence Cutter said:

Well said J.B.

And everything else they need to know can be found on Facebook. 

Yep, right now there are 3 guys getting paid $80,000 a year to monitor everything I do on my iPhone...2 of them just left for a break because the 3rd one lost at “rock, paper, scissors” and has to monitor me because I just went into the bathroom...

I ain’t that important that I need watchin’ and if “they” are listening to what I am saying, that’s great! Because no one else is sure as hell listening. :P :lol:

Think of it this way:

Alexa, Siri, Echo -- whatever -- listens for specific words to alert on. The system can be set without the owner's knowledge to alert on certain words such as, 'Damned government,' or 'Cold dead hands', or 'I'll teach you to back talk me.'

Connect those keying words to credit card purchases -- dehydrated food and canned goods, ammunition, ACE wraps, bandages, sunglasses -- and transcripts of conversations (talk to text), and a story about the household begins to emerge.

Now throw in the Red Flag laws . . . .

ETA: And the beauty of the entire thing is -- the owner has given permission with signed user's agreements, and since there's no government monitoring involved, no warrants are required.

Do western hats come in tin foil?

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep, right now there are 3 guys getting paid $80,000 a year to monitor everything I do on my iPhone...2 of them just left for a break because the 3rd one lost at “rock, paper, scissors” and has to monitor me because I just went into the bathroom...

I ain’t that important that I need watchin’ and if “they” are listening to what I am saying, that’s great! Because no one else is sure as hell listening. :P :lol:

Joke’s on them. We have no cell service here. :D

Does this thing learn?

It is a pain typing with one finger on the itty bitty keyboard on my phone. So I started pushing the little microphone button, and then I could just speak and the phone would transcribe.

Except the damn phone does not speak southern. I have to go back through the message before I post it, and make sure it actually wrote what I said.

One of his I DID NOT SAY HIS, DODGAMMIT, I SAID ITS most annoying faults is caused by people saying "would of" when the correct term is "would have". At least 90% of the time, when I say the word OF, this piece of junk types the word HAVE.

And of course it has problems with antonyms. Wood/would. To/too/two. Like that. Sometimes it will type one word, then as I get further into the sentence, it will change the word, your siding in its little electronic BB brain that what I said is not what it heard.

Perfect example. In that last sentence I said DECIDING, and it typed that, but before I finished saying the sentence, it changed it to YOUR SIDING.

So does Siri or Alexis or whoever learn - understand accents, hear dropped letters, etc?

On 9/8/2019 at 8:15 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Or Alexa or whatever elektrik assistant you use.....

If you say “Hey thing, play My Way”, how does it know which version you want?

I can't answer that question, but I do know I asked Siri for a bottle of your best bourbon and it arrived 3 days later.  Thanks!!  :P

50 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Except the damn phone does not speak southern. I have to go back through the message before I post it, and make sure it actually wrote what I said.

Onlyiest time I use the speech to text function is when I'm drunk.  In those cases I never go back and proof read until I sober up the next day. 

Apparently I think my phone is a karaoke mic when I get drunk because most of those texts look like song lyrics.  But at least my wife knows I'm thinkin of her. 

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

And of course it has problems with antonyms. Wood/would. To/too/two. Like that. 

Your examples are homonyms.

Perhaps you should ask your device about antonyms.  

;)

Archived