SASS Wire Forum

357 sig question

Trigger Mike

I was in bass pro and looking at a colt 357 revolver and then at ammo and the guy steered me to the ammo he thought I should get and then suddenly he said his shift was over and I needed to give him an answer so I hurriedly grabbed a box of 357 sig by accident.   So I am curious about how the 357 sig pistol is and should I consider it since I have 20 rounds.  I found used police trade ins online for 350 to 400 

I have zero experience with it, but before buying a gun I would research the 357 Sig. it’s like a hot 9mm...

Do searches on “357 Sig vs 9mm” and “357 Sig vs 40 S&W”. Supposedly the 357 Sig and the 40 S&W are very similar. The 357 Sig is not close to the .357 Magnum in power. If you are looking for Magnum type power in a semi auto pistol you need to look at the 10mm round.

I one time bought a .44 Bulldog because I found 48 rounds of once fired brass at the local range, and the empty cartridge box from which they came, so there is precedence for buying the pistol because you have rounds.
The .357 Sig is a bottle neck cartridge and I've had no trouble reloading it. It does reduce magazine capacity by a couple rounds, it is louder and snappier, it is flatter shooting.

The round is not terribly popular and is not as easy to come across as it used to be.

I understand it found a great following with law enforcement out West, I forget the department, but they swore by the round.

I've long been of the philosophy, "When in doubt, grab it!" (Wish I had the money to follow the philosophy!)

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I was in bass pro and looking at a colt 357 revolver and then at ammo and the guy steered me to the ammo he thought I should get and then suddenly he said his shift was over and I needed to give him an answer so I hurriedly grabbed a box of 357 sig by accident.   So I am curious about how the 357 sig pistol is and should I consider it since I have 20 rounds.  I found used police trade ins online for 350 to 400 

Hey, did you get the Colt?

Back in the 90's there were LE agencies that issued 357 Sig.  The Alameda county sheriffs was one.  A lot of 40 S&W pistol mfg's offered barrel & spring kits to convert their 40 S&W's to 357 Sig.  The parent case is 40 S&W & the mag's are the same.  I haven't shot one so I can't tell you that the recoil impulse is less, same or worse than 40 S&W.  The misses doesn't complain about the recoil of a 25 oz. Kimber Ultra CDPII; but she won't shoot my full size H&K USP40.  She has bought 2 other guns that she shoot once; 9mm derringer & Taurus 380 TCP.  The derringer is a safe queen while the Taurus became my boot gun after I fixed its' designed in reliability issues.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sell the 20rnds.........;)

OLG

This ^.

I own, frequently shoot and reload for the .357 SIG in both a SIG P320 and a SIG P229 Legend.

The round is hot.....good and hot.

In my opinion, based on my own Chronograph results, the 125 grain .357 SIG round in a Pistol duplicates and lacks nothing in power when compared to the .357 Mag in a 4" barrel revolver.

The revolver holds 6-7 rounds.   The SIG pistols hold 12-13 rounds.

BUT, unless you want to reload for a new cartridge and experience a romping-stompin pistol round,

I agree with Lumpy..... "Sell the 20 rounds".

Its my understanding The U.S. Secret Service carries the .357 SIG as do a few other federal agencies.

..........Widder

While waiting for Ruger to bring out a 45acp PPC and finding they decided to go 40 S&W instead I started thinking how the PPC would be chambered in 357 Sig.        GW

23 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

While waiting for Ruger to bring out a 45acp PPC and finding they decided to go 40 S&W instead I started thinking how the PPC would be chambered in 357 Sig.        GW

Since the 357 sig is .355 cal, could the Ruger PCC 9 be rechambered?  Would the higher pressure (~14% more than 40 S&W) be too much for the breach after machining the larger chamber?

23 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Since the 357 sig is .355 cal, could the Ruger PCC 9 be rechambered?  Would the higher pressure (~14% more than 40 S&W) be too much for the breach after machining the larger chamber?

Understand there is a "dead blow" weight to control cycling. If you could get the heavier block for the 40, it should be possible     GW

357 SIG is  very similar  in ballistics to a 357 magnum..............

unless YOU THINK 50 FPS IS A MAJOR DIFFERENCE.......................

he “classic” loading of a .357 Magnum cartridge has a 125-grain, .357-inch diameter bullet launching at about 1,500 feet per second, give or take, depending on the specific load. The .357 Sig can do almost that, with most factory loads launching a .355-inch, 125-grain bullet between 1,350 and 1,450 feet per second.

If memory serves me correctly...Smith and Wesson dropped 357sig from the M&P line because it wouldn't hold up. You can convert most Glock 40 cal to 357 sig with a barrel change. However...Glock recomends  changing out the recoil spring at a rather low round count compared to other calibers. But you can use the springs yet for 40 cal

12 hours ago, G W Wade said:

An outfit called TNW Firearms makes a very nice AR style pcc that can be configured in 9 mm, 10 mm, 357 Sig, 40 cal, 45acp, .22 LR and I think 460 Rowland. You can get it in either right or left handed configuration. 

Archived