SASS Wire Forum

Century Arms or Rossi Hammered Doubles

Tracker Jack Daniels,58780

I have an opportunity to buy a couple hammered sxs.  One is a Century Arms, the other a Rossi.  Are they able to be made workable for our game?  If so is it a DIY job, or send out to a good smith?

Thanks for your advise.

I have several Rossi(s).

One thing I look for is can you open the barrels with the hammers cocked.

Some the hammer interferes with getting the hammer back and you have to decock the hammer before you can open the gun.

There are also three types of barrel locks.

A greener style that has a rod come out the side of the recoil block and that thing is sharpe and can cut your hand when trying to go fast.

The other two are similar.

There is a block between the barrels.

One is solid and one has a hole in it for a locking rod to go through.

I like the solid ones.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Consider writing me the check.  That way at least one of us will be happy  B)

I figured at $200 if I could make one work well with some work it would be a good deal.  

4 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

The Rossi Overland Hammered is 10x’s the gun the Century Arms JW2000 is. 

+1

JW2000 also has widely spread hammers.  Mine had both chambers very poorly reamed.   Go with the Rossi.

Good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...

Once upon a time, the Rossi Overland was THE hammered double for SASS. Yes, that was long ago and at that time, their were few choices other than originals. But many a Rossi has been run through CAS stages. Buy It!

Is it true that the Rossi hammered SxS isn't permitted in Classic Cowboy because the hammers are merely cocking the internal hammers and thus aren't true functioning hammers?

Rossi hammers are true hammers.

You pull them back to cock and when you pull the trigger the hammers hits the firing pins.

Remove the 2 side screws and the locks come out complete.

TO remove the second side, remove only the front screw and the lock will come out complete.

The back screws go in to a soacer tube.

No need to remove both screws. The spacer can stay on one of the locks.

Your choice.

Garrison Joe already mentioned this, but on my Century Arms, the hammers are so wide that it is impossible for me to double cock. 

The Rossi is a true Hammer Double.  You may be thinking bout the Bikal.  The Russians made a faque Hammer double for a while and there is now someone else (I forget whom) making a really ugly faque Hammer Double.  Rossi are really well made Doubles.  Shame they quit making 'em.  Parts (Quote Abilene) are getting hard to come by.

Archived