SASS Wire Forum

MRE pizza

Alpo

After the hurricane they were going around passing out MREs. I finally decided to give these a try.

IMG_20190907_100108.thumb.jpg.3f9ca609064a66239cfd4d47f990369a.jpg

The DP is there for scale. A little smaller than an MRE cracker.

Can't tell by looking which is cheese and which is pepperoni.

Taste - well, Pizza Hut ain't got nothin' to worry about.  But I suppose that after a few days of BEEF STEW or SHRIMP JAMBALAYA (neither of which do I consider edible) this might be pretty good.

It says that itty-bitty piece of pizza is 250 calories.

All rations are designed to pack max calories in a small package.

They passed out MREs? For Dorian? :lol: Did you get any wind?

I think the wind passed through Missouri this morning:wacko:

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

All rations are designed to pack max calories in a small package.

They passed out MREs? For Dorian? :lol: Did you get any wind?

Michael.

What's a Dorian?

The Navy sure have forgotten the sailors stationed at Norfolk VA.  My machinist mate, nuclear, grandson who is a crew member on the Ford called his grandmother Thursday and said the mess facilities & BX except for the mini-mart gas station were closed leaving those on the base without food except for what was on the shelves at the gas station.  His grandmother told him to get there before the only thing left on the shelves were inedible.  He would be satisfied if at least he had MRE's.

23 hours ago, Alpo said:

But I suppose that after a few days of BEEF STEW or SHRIMP JAMBALAYA (neither of which do I consider edible) this might be pretty good.

Sacrilege!

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I could live on practically anyhting if she was with me!!:wub:

From the ones l’ve sampled I’d say the most named them shoulda been MRTA instead of MRE.

Meal Ready to Throw Away.

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

From the ones l’ve sampled I’d say the most named them shoulda been MRTA instead of MRE.

Meal Ready to Throw Away.

Meals Rejected by Everyone.

Or, more politically incorrect back in the day,

Meals Rejected by Ethiopians

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t know, some MREs are pretty good.

There’s the...ya know what? Never mind. ;)

Some aren't bad, particularly when in the field, or even just camping, and your stomach is growling. Beef Stew, Spaghetti and a few of the vegetarian pasta ones are palatable to me once heated. There are some though, that are just plain awful. The Ham omelet comes to mind. Of course, I'm convinced the Army invented Tray Rations, or "T-Rats," to make MREs seem better by comparison.

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

On the other hand, nothing is perfect. ;)

C-ratdisaster.JPG

My dad was in the South Pacific in WWII. He said K Rats weren't bad, but C Rats were pretty rough.

JHC

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

Some aren't bad, particularly when in the field, or even just camping, and your stomach is growling. Beef Stew, Spaghetti and a few of the vegetarian pasta ones are palatable to me once heated. There are some though, that are just plain awful. The Ham omelet comes to mind. Of course, I'm convinced the Army invented Tray Rations, or "T-Rats," to make MREs seem better by comparison.

Depending upon your level of exhaustion, almost anything* can be acceptable.

*Except Ham And Lima beans,

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

My dad was in the South Pacific in WWII. He said K Rats weren't bad, but C Rats were pretty rough.

JHC

https://old.qmfound.com/army_rations_historical_background.htm#Operational Rations in World War II

The BEEF STEAK AND GRAVY ain't bad. Tough chunk of hamburger with a quite peppery thin brown gravy.

The CHICKEN WITH NOODLES AND VEGETABLES IN SAUCE and the CHICKEN WITH RICE AND VEGETABLES IN SAUCE are both pretty good.

I even liked the CAPTAIN'S CHICKEN, although on some site I was reading, it listed that one as the next to the last in flavor. Not the nastiest one, but the second from the nastiest one.

TURKEY CHUNKS WITH POTATOES ain't too bad. The turkey is real tough, but the flavor's okay.

BLACK BEAN TACOS aren't bad, although there's not enough of them.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Depending upon your level of exhaustion, almost anything* can be acceptable.

*Except Ham And Lima beans,

I love ham and lima beans (esp. butterbeans) when I cook them. Must admit I never tried the sea rats.

JHC :P

31 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I love ham and lima beans (esp. butterbeans) when I cook them. Must admit I never tried the sea rats.

JHC :P

Trust me. They are a hideous concoction. The jungle floor in SE Asia was littered with them.

The MREs that I have purchased and eaten were very high in sodium. Not sure how anyone in Iraq could eat them in 125 degree temps, but I guess if you are hungry enough you’ll pretty much eat anything. 

I used to buy cases of them for earthquake stores. I tried quite a few but none stand out as favorites in my memory.

24 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The MREs that I have purchased and eaten were very high in sodium. Not sure how anyone in Iraq could eat them in 125 degree temps, but I guess if you are hungry enough you’ll pretty much eat anything. 

I used to buy cases of them for earthquake stores. I tried quite a few but none stand out as favorites in my memory.

You need salt in 125° temps. The army thinks of everything! :P

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You need salt in 125° temps. The army thinks of everything! :P

That is true...one needs salt...not sure about the Army. ;)

Archived