SASS Wire Forum

Why would Tarzan know how to make fire?

Alpo

In TARZAN AND THE MADMAN, he has rescued an Englishmen from slavery, and when he finishes what he has to do he will take the Englishmen to the coast.

Comes dinner time and he kills something and give half of it to the Englishmen and starts eating the other half. After a moment the Englishmen says, "I don't think I could stomach this raw".

Tarzan tells him to cook it, and he replies that they have no matches. Tarzan then tells him to gather wood and, "I will make you a fire".

Why would he know how to make fire? He lives in equatorial Africa - doesn't really get cold there. He eats his meat raw - no need to cook.

If you're not using it for heat or for cooking, why would you need fire? And if he has no need for fire, then why would he have learned how to make one?

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

It’ll take a few days, no not because he is a slow reader, because there will be ten more things to ponder before he gets there.

Hey, if reading was easy, everybody would do it.

4 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

It’s a novel not a history book. Just once try reading something for the pure enjoyment of it 

It seems to me that Alpo’s ponders are more than half the enjoyment he gets from reading. Why should he restrict himself to just accepting what he reads on the face of it? That’s boring! :D

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

If you're not using it for heat or for cooking, why would you need fire? And if he has no need for fire, then why would he have learned how to make one?

Alpo you need to remember that Tarzan was raised by apes. Therefore he didn’t know about fire or how to speak English. Then he was rescued or rescued a Belgian (?) explorer who taught him how to speak English and other social skills to relate to humans. The Belgian must have needed fire to cook and stay dry in the equatorial jungle. Ipso-facto Tarzan knows how to make fire. 

In addition Great Apes are vegetarians, so why is Tarzan eating meat at all, raw or otherwise?

Ain’t it fun to hypothesize? :P

Oops Yellowhouse beat me to the vegan statement.

Tarzan and his hairy pards were more sophisticated than one might think. They used to fix things with a Gorilla Glue.

p.s. I typed pards but the computer decided I meant parts and changed it. Fortunately I caught it. Woulda changed the whole character of the post. :blush:

33 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Alpo you need to remember that Tarzan was raised by apes. Therefore he didn’t know about fire or how to speak English. Then he was rescued or rescued a Belgian (?) explorer who taught him how to speak English and other social skills to relate to humans. The Belgian must have needed fire to cook and stay dry in the equatorial jungle. Ipso-facto Tarzan knows how to make fire. 

In addition Great Apes are vegetarians, so why is Tarzan eating meat at all, raw or otherwise?

Ain’t it fun to hypothesize? :P

Oops Yellowhouse beat me to the vegan statement.

Tarzan was taught to speak French first.

3 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Tarzan was taught to speak French first.

Not in the movies. :lol:

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not in the movies. :lol:

He could read and write English but not speak it.  He taught himself from the children's books his family brought with them.  It really confused Jane because she kept looking for the guy writing her notes and this crazy wildman kept showing up.

Johnny and Loophole have corrected a couple of wrong impressions.

As for vegan - like all primates, the Mangani are omnivores. Frequently, in the first book, they (and he) are eating beetles, grubs and caterpillars. Then there is the Dum-Dum, where the apes would go to dance. It always ended with a feast of some enemy - numa, sheeta, bolgani.

It was at a Dum-Dum that he killed his stepfather. Tublat had already gotten a piece of gorilla, taken it to the outside of the scrum, and eaten it.

He was headed back in when he sees Tarzan, who has sliced off an entire arm. Tublat attempts to take it, leading to s fight and the death of Tublat.

Now Henry. The only reason I know what you said is because Jack quoted you. I put your worthless butt on my ignore list over a year ago, when I got tired of your bullshit, and had to sic the moderator on you.

So I've got a suggestion. Since, obviously, everything I post upsets you, QUIT READING MY POSTS.

Put me on YOUR ignor list.

If you can't figure out how to do it, find a six-year-old to help you.

I know that I am late to the technology craze, but a few months ago I tried Kindle.  Not a Kindle, but Kindle the service that allows me to download e-books and read them at my leisure on my computer or phone.  

For $1.98, I got a collection of 24 works by Edgar Rice Burroughs, including several Tarzan tales.  I love the service.  It's my own portable library.

LL

18 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I know that I am late to the technology craze, but a few months ago I tried Kindle.  Not a Kindle, but Kindle the service that allows me to download e-books and read them at my leisure on my computer or phone.  

For $1.98, I got a collection of 24 works by Edgar Rice Burroughs, including several Tarzan tales.  I love the service.  It's my own portable library.

LL

I thought I would never have a kindle. But my wife who just reads kindle now, gave me one for my birthday about 6 years ago. As usual she was right. I haven't picked up a book since she got me my kindle.

I put an ebook reader app on my phone. Then went crazy on the public domain section of feedbooks, Gutenberg, Gutenberg Canada, Gutenberg Australia, and faded page. Have at least a thousand, 1500 books on my phone.

5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

He had contact with the natives and they knew how to make fire.  How do you think he got his knife?

There's your answer right there!! ^^^^^^^^^

6 hours ago, Alpo said:

Johnny and Loophole have corrected a couple of wrong impressions.

As for vegan - like all primates, the Mangani are omnivores. Frequently, in the first book, they (and he) are eating beetles, grubs and caterpillars. Then there is the Dum-Dum, where the apes would go to dance. It always ended with a feast of some enemy - numa, sheeta, bolgani.

It was at a Dum-Dum that he killed his stepfather. Tublat had already gotten a piece of gorilla, taken it to the outside of the scrum, and eaten it.

He was headed back in when he sees Tarzan, who has sliced off an entire arm. Tublat attempts to take it, leading to s fight and the death of Tublat.

Now Henry. The only reason I know what you said is because Jack quoted you. I put your worthless butt on my ignore list over a year ago, when I got tired of your bullshit, and had to sic the moderator on you.

So I've got a suggestion. Since, obviously, everything I post upsets you, QUIT READING MY POSTS.

Put me on YOUR ignor list.

If you can't figure out how to do it, find a six-year-old to help you.

I’m thinking this thread has some serious legs and might be fun to watch. Popcorn, peanuts, Bon Bons.......

8 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

It’s a novel not a history book. Just once try reading something for the pure enjoyment of it 

I for one enjoy Alpo's posts. Usually thought provoking and entertaining. 100000000 times better than a lot  of the mindless no response posts that fill up the Saloon.

6 hours ago, Tascosa, SASS# 24838 said:

I thought I would never have a kindle. But my wife who just reads kindle now, gave me one for my birthday about 6 years ago. As usual she was right. I haven't picked up a book since she got me my kindle.

Same here. I used to buy lots of real books at Barnes and Noble but haven’t bought any there in 7 or 8 years. Apple Books screwed up their book store so I buy most of them on amazon and read them on Kindle.

Archived