SASS Wire Forum

Most Favored 45 for Wild Bunch

bgavin

I dont shoot WB now, but I won the first WB match we had at Wartrace many years ago with a taurus PT1911 and Wilson magazines. Im not that great a shooter but the Taurus operated flawlessly all day. Everybody else had some feed or function problem , some continuously.

Imis

I've used a Colt Series 70, Rock Island, Springfield, and this past few matches, a Remington R1. The sights on the Remington are a bit odd, but overall I'm favorably impressed. The rear sight fell off at the last match and it turns out it's not a tight fit at all, depending solely on a tiny set screw to hold it in the *proprietary* dovetail cut. When I put it back on, l used a sliver of paper on one side of the dovetail to snug it up, along with a liberal dose of Loctite. ;)

Just idle curiosity.

I have no plans whatsoever to shoot WB, nor get another rifle and another shotgun, nor a 1911 and a spare.
As always, the thoughts and education are appreciated.

I have learned that Springfields are made in Brazil (like my Stoeger), that Kimbers are almost 2x the price, that Ruger SR1911 is not allowed in California, and high-end magazines are mandatory for best reliability.

I learned that Ruger and Smith have fled CA, and nothing new has been introduced since 2013 or so, because of the micro-stamping requirement.
Those expiring on 1/1/2020 can renew their certificates and grandfather in, by paying the usual Big Fees.

I have no plans to do a CCW or attempt that in CA.
If I was to CC, it would be my SP101 with 357 defensive loads.

So that's it.. just idle curiosity.

Believe it or not, I am using a Norinco 1911 with Chip McCormick Shooting Star magazines, the ammo is my replication of hardball with a lead projectile.

Bugler

5 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

The first question I would ask is do you want Modern or Traditional and the second would be how much do you want to spend? 

So if I'm willing to spend a grand, maybe $1300 (not counting mags and rig) and want to shoot Modern what would you recommend?

28 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So if I'm willing to spend a grand, maybe $1300 (not counting mags and rig) and want to shoot Modern what would you recommend?

A Ruger and an action job by a Wild Bunch knowledgeable ‘smith for around $850-900. Then buy good magazines, not Tripp’s, and not less than 24 of them. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Remember, Colt and Kimber uses CheckMate magazines. Not Tripp or CMC... For a reason.

On 9/7/2019 at 1:27 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

As you can see, there is no "the"

:)

so here's mine, Cimarron by Armscor.  Hasn't failed me yet.

1911%20ivory.jpg

If your curiosity goes beyond idleness, there are lots of posts about favorite 1911's to peruse in the WB forum.

i did not know IJ was making these , my impression is it looks terrific , i gotta research these , i think i might want one 

The gun is less important than the ammo and MAGAZINES!   (Doesn't that apply across the board to semi autos??)   Hell... at home I shoot an old STI Spartan....and - with the right mags and ammo it is 100% reliable.     

Springfield MilSpec, Chip McCormick Mags, Wilson Combat Extended Mag Release -- solid performer in modern.  Can swap back the mag release and black out the white dots and works well in Traditional. Feeds reloads like a champ.

10 hours ago, Boggus Deal #64218 said:

Lady Jane and I share 50 mags and sometimes that don’t seem like enough.

May want to try some other mags....

image.jpg

So given the mag requirements a different approach might be called for. I have an 1873 in .45 lc, I have one of the newer Coyote Cap 1897’s, my Colt Commander isn’t legal for WB but my father has offered to give me his Colt 1911 manufactured in 1917, in great condition and very slick. Assuming it functions reliably  (I believe it does) no need to send it for work, just buy a good rig and a ton of good mags?

8 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So given the mag requirements a different approach might be called for. I have an 1873 in .45 lc, I have one of the newer Coyote Cap 1897’s, my Colt Commander isn’t legal for WB but my father has offered to give me his Colt 1911 manufactured in 1917, in great condition and very slick. Assuming it functions reliably  (I believe it does) no need to send it for work, just buy a good rig and a ton of good mags?

If that gun is all original, I would put it up and save it. The heat treat then wasn’t what it is, today.  With two of us shooting, I hate having to load magazines between every stage.

I would put dads 1911 away especially if it has any sentimental value, it's worth $300-400 for a Springfield or rock island not to wreck or wear out a family heirloom. I thought about using my great granddad's krag in a bamm match but know I would hate wrecking a rifle that he used in Cuba and the Philippines 

Rafe 

It’s original. He pulled the original barrel set it aside  and bought a new barrel with double spring and guide rod, then shot a few thousand through that. The slide and frame look fine. You may be right, it might be best to put the original barrel and parts in it and set it aside.

A Springfield GI doesn’t cost that much.

For loading magazines it is pretty hard to beat one of these. Saves your thumbs and faster too.

Maglula Ltd. UpLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader/Unloader

For single stack magazines it needs this adapter.

Maglula 1911AI Aligner Insert for UpLULA/22UpLULA Loader Set

Ok as for 24 magazines that's if you don't reload between stages.   I have been doing wild bunch matches since 1995 and have never used more than 7 magazines on a stage.  If you don't mind reloading between stages 7 or 8 will work fine.   Bullett 19707

14 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Ok as for 24 magazines that's if you don't reload between stages.   I have been doing wild bunch matches since 1995 and have never used more than 7 magazines on a stage.  If you don't mind reloading between stages 7 or 8 will work fine.   Bullett 19707

+1 and you have ample time to load em' since the workers have about 20 -30 rounds of brass, a few magazines and shotshells to pick up before the next shooter is called. I think I have 7 tops. 

Archived