SASS Wire Forum

Most Favored 45 for Wild Bunch

bgavin

I shoot traditional. I use a Remington R1as my main pistol. And a Springfield Milspec as a backup 

I have Springfields,  being a Californian my selection is limited. Kimbers, Colts, Remingtons are good choices as well. Some of the Rock Islands are decent too. 

A good trigger, good sights, good magazines and reliable ammo are probably most important. The small mil spec sights leave a lot to be desired. 

Tully 

53 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

I have Springfields,  being a Californian my selection is limited. Kimbers, Colts, Remingtons are good choices as well. Some of the Rock Islands are decent too. 

A good trigger, good sights, good magazines and reliable ammo are probably most important. The small mil spec sights leave a lot to be desired. 

Tully 

If you want to win, I’d take Tully’s advice. The best wild bunch shooter I’ve ever seen with quite a few state championships to back it up. 

I've seen Tully shoot at Diamond Dicks.
NP at all with taking him at his word.

El Hombre, have we met at the last River City Regulators shoot?

The Springfield Mil-Spec stainless #PB9151L is quite appealing.
I'm very partial to stainless...

I have 2 Taylor's Tacticals that I use.   If I don't look at the serial #, without the different grips, they'd be hard to tell apart.  Others in our club use everything from Colts to Rugers.  Might even be a STI in the bunch.   I've used a hand-built Interarms with a Remington slide, and a VN era surplus.  But, then, I've never met a 1911 that I didn't like.  Ammo, magazines and technique are more important than the actual arm IMO.  You can't limp-wrist the things, and if it'll feed ball ammo, and your ammo closely matches that profile, it'll run.  Magazines need to be kept clean, lips and follower properly formed and the springs tensioned.   Magazines are a wear item, and will need replacing from time to time.

Unless it's already been done, a properly aligned ramp and barrel can only be improved with a little polishing.  The only other modification I've made is to the mag release spring.  A little lighter to easy the tension.  But, I've done that to my duty/carry gun also.  

5 hours ago, bgavin said:

Idle curiosity:  what is "the" most favored 45 used by WB shooters?

As you can see, there is no "the"

:)

so here's mine, Cimarron by Armscor.  Hasn't failed me yet.

1911%20ivory.jpg

If your curiosity goes beyond idleness, there are lots of posts about favorite 1911's to peruse in the WB forum.

This topic has come up before. The Ruger version seemed to have the most fans. I have used a Cimarron 1911 and it didn't take much eye squinting to look like the original. I also like the Springfield and Colt mil-spec versions.

From my extensive research the most important thing besides quality ammo is the magazine.  I bought Tripp magazines for my Remington R1. If you have magazines other than Tripp replace the follower and spring with one from Tripp.

If you are shooting Traditional there is not a lot you can do about the sights. Modern gives you more leeway.

+10 to Tully and Griff's posts

The Remington R1 is great for WB.  Cost, function, appearance, can be used in traditional and modern.   Just black out the white dots.  With the right mags and Ammo it is smooth as can be.  

I use Remington, Kimber and Chip McCormick mags.  Each have tons of rounds thru them without a hiccup.  

Local sporting goods store here in Michigan runs specials on them a couple of times a year, $529.00.   Tough to beat for the price.  

I had forgotten about the Ruger it has a great reputation, but it's not available to those in California.

Low mil spec sights can be replaced with taller sights in Traditional, that can make a world of difference.

More important than the gun that's chosen are the mags and good cased gaged ammo. There's a recent post on the WB wire in regards to magazine choice. For years I used Tripp inserts in Springfield bodies, last fall I started using Ed Brown mags. As long as what your using is reliable every time then it doesn't matter the brand in my opinion.

Tully

I use generic magazines with mine.   They work just fine.   Of course, I am very limited as to what I can get, since the 1911 is deemed to be an unsafe design by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and you can't buy one here unless it was registered in the state prior to 1998 or if you can go the C and R route.  

I think someone came out with a Mass compliant one a little while ago, [Springfield?] but I am not sure.

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Okay, I'm not paying attention somewhere.  Why is Ruger not available in California and others are?

They haven't proved to the CA DOJ that they are safe for sale to peons.  Eventually the people of CA will only be able to buy a revolver as DOJ approvals for pistols expire & no pistols have micro-stamping technology.

Eventually the only way to acquire a pistol will be if you have children 21 & older or parents who live in a free state.  They can gift you any firearm that is legal for sale in Kalifornia, no EBR's unless they look like Pat Riot's.

Stock right out of the box Cimarron $400 new el chepo. I did make the grips myself. My very first WB shoot was the Missouri State WB Championship. I shot modern only because I was 2 handed, but absolutely nothing done to the gun. I won to my great surprise.:D

001.JPG

Iver Johnson on the top I've switched to for shooting traditional, Rock island I started WB with on the bottom

Frankly I love them both. Reliable, accurate and well built! But the IJ is my favorite.

IMG_20190907_162205.jpg

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Colt, is what I use.

OLG

As do I. I figure if Colts are good enough for me to use in cowboy shooting then why not for wild bunch too?

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Eventually the people of CA will only be able to buy a revolver as DOJ approvals for pistols expire & no pistols have micro-stamping technology.

Eventually the only way to acquire a pistol will be if you have children 21 & older or parents who live in a free state.  They can gift you any firearm that is legal for sale in Kalifornia, no EBR's unless they look like Pat Riot's.

If CA bans pistols, won't they also ban FFL transfers of pistols received as gifts?
It seems if one desires to own a pistol in CA, better do it before the certification expires in 2020.

Springfield Armory pistols all expire 1/1/2020 according to the web site data today.

16 hours ago, bgavin said:

El Hombre, have we met at the last River City Regulators shoot?

I was not at this latest shoot, but I was there the previous shoot. Maybe then? Hard to miss me wearing the man with no name poncho in 105 degree weather. 

Just now, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I was not at this latest shoot, but I was there the previous shoot. Maybe then? Hard to miss me wearing the man with no name poncho in 105 degree weather. 

We met a nice fella they call Pancho / Poncho, thought maybe that was you.
All white outfit most of the time.

I'm the brass picker, my bride is the score keeper.

3 minutes ago, bgavin said:

We met a nice fella they call Pancho / Poncho, thought maybe that was you.
All white outfit most of the time.

I'm the brass picker, my bride is the score keeper.

That’s Pancho sin Lefty. He’s a good guy, but got a few years on me haha. I’ll probably be there next month. Do you have an alias yet? 

I am W.D. Farren (ancestor), my bride is Wrongway McGillicuddy (childhood nickname).
We are still tied up in CA waiting periods.. last should be mine September 26.

We come down to keep score and pick up brass while we are getting geared up.
All we are lacking now is a gun cart and some practice time at the range.

We like to come for the Outlaws and the Shady Ladies events.

25 minutes ago, bgavin said:

If CA bans pistols, won't they also ban FFL transfers of pistols received as gifts?
It seems if one desires to own a pistol in CA, better do it before the certification expires in 2020.

Springfield Armory pistols all expire 1/1/2020 according to the web site data today.

The safe handgun law has been around for almost 20 years.  In 1999 I bought my 1st pistol a H&K USP Variant 2 & the law didn't exist.  A year or 2 later the list came out & only 2 variants of the gun were on the list.  A SADA right hand control & a DAO variant.  The V2 is a SADA left hand controls.  Gifts from out of state children or parents isn't significant enough to get the attention of the inmates under the capitol dome.   You know the stated reason for creating the law "safety" was BS since the law exempts single action revolvers.  I.E. used Colt SAA's that are the reason for the SASS rule about having an empty chamber under the hammer.  There is no way they pass the required drop test required to be deemed safe for sale to peons.

Have only shot WB a couple times, but I have a Taylors and a Remington R1.  I've used both.  I prefer the Taylors only because Mackinaw Kid worked it over for me.

I've had lots of 1911's including a bunch of Colts that I sold to make $$$. Have finally settled  on a Ruger SR1911 with a Wilson extended slide release. It has the usual upgrades already included at a reasonable price.

Shot a WB match today at Thurmont Sportsman's Club in MD. Five stages with a total of 146 pistol rounds. A really fine match. Enjoyed it immensely with the only pistol issue being a self-inflicted reloaded ammo problem; Duh!

As mentioned above, Tripp mags solve the majority of 1911 issues that are not ammo related. Budget an extra $200 and you will forget mag problems. Then you can worry about shotgun matters.

Archived