SASS Wire Forum

Shedding some light on firearms

I rescued a Connecticut Arms Co "Hammond Bulldog" single shot.44 rim fire derringer (biggest damn derringer you ever saw) from a demeaning life as a table lamp.  It had what I believe was an original nickel plate finish, which made it very rare, and before being converted had about a 90% finish.  The innards had ben stripped and filled with something like J B Weld, and two holes had been drilled and tapped to mount it to the oak base.  All in all it had a beautiful external appearance, but it was ruined as a collector's item.  None of the conversion is very obvious unless you look closely.

I gave $10.00 for it at a yard sale in Pomona in 1995, did a very quick and easy clean up and it is still a place holder in my collection with a place of honor in a frame with four other guns.

Looks like it could also be used for a single rifle rack, huh?

I knew a guy in NC that had a shotgun lamp. It was a fully functional shotgun. The lamp portion went into the double barrels. The cord basically dangled but was hidden between the barrels and loosely secured at the base. The base had a stand to hold the butt and support the shotgun. He didn’t keep it loaded but there was a box of shells in the end table drawer next to it. 

It was nicely done. Wish I would have taken a picture of it.

Archived