SASS Wire Forum

Natchitoches, Louisiana

I live in the heart of what was once the Creek Confederacy.  The site of the capitol of the Southern Creeks is all of 15 minutes drive from me as I type this post. 

LOTS and LOTS of place names- creeks, rivers, towns, golf courses, country clubs, roads- are either directly from or derived from their language.  I don't know which is funnier.  Listening to Yankees try to pronounicate them without dislocating their tongues or traveling out to the Creek Nation in OK and watching the expressions of the locals when I pronounce them correctly.

When I am in Eastern Europe, I see the signs бургер Кинг. Having been hooked on phonics, I pronounce it to myself and say “crap, didn’t recognize it.”  

Similarly, McDonalds is very inconsistent and might use Roman or Cyrillic letters and one minute after seeing it I can’t tell you what language age was used for the sign. 

One complete surprise was KFC. ever time I saw their sign, it was KFC.  Then one time I saw КФС. It did not mesh Kentucky Friie made sense but С in Russian is “s” and there was just no С for chicken.

I mostly grew up in Pennsylvania. 

Try the names of these rivers:

Susquehanna

Youghiogheny

Monongahela 

When I moved to California I found a “Spanish” spin to names. 

I tore some of the names up something awful:

Seluveda

La Tijera 

La Jolla

La Canada (no, not pronounced Canada)

Nearly everywhere you go it seems there’s an odd pronunciation. 

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Susquehanna

Youghiogheny

Monongahela 

Sus -kwa-han- uh

“The Yock”

”The Mon”

I spent some time there too.

But I’ve even heard locals debate how to pronounce the “Schuylkill River”.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Susquehanna

Youghiogheny

Monongahela 

Seluveda

La Tijera 

La Jolla

My family is from PA too.  Try pronouncing my alias, or better yet, try spelling it without looking at my post.

18 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

My family is from PA too.  Try pronouncing my alias, or better yet, try spelling it without looking at my post.

Punks-a-tawny :D

Except for ESL's I never here the Mexican city just across the border from San Isidro pronounced correctly.  Usually it is Tia-Juana.  There isn't an "a" after the "i"; therefore, it's Ti-juana.  Non Californians are a lot better a correctly pronouncing Spanish origin place names.  In GA in 1970 all the locals said Frisco for San Fran-sees-ko & Joe or Josie for San Hose-a or really grating Las Ang-less for Los Ann-hell-les

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Los Angeles poem.jpg

You could really screw F W W up by telling him/her the “J” is silent in Spanish. 

I have heard people call it Los Angle-eez, Lows An-hell-us and Lows Angel-es. And everyone pronouncing it in those ways was an idiot thinking they were saying right to impress a girl or girls. 

Oh, it’s properly pronounced Los An-gel-es. A college professor said so ;)...But there is a group of native “Angelinos” (actually they are immigrants) that want the original pronunciation...which is one of the three I mentioned above. Like I said...idiots.

On 9/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Susquehanna

Youghiogheny

Monongahela 

Seluveda

La Tijera 

La Jolla

Of you wanna have fun, find someone from Buena Vista, Ga and ask them where they are from.

Around here it's  Boona Vis-tuh.

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

How about when folks say Los Vegas?

Or Lost Wages!

On 9/7/2019 at 7:00 PM, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Of you wanna have fun, find someone from Buena Vista, Ga and ask them where they are from.

Around here it's  Boona Vis-tuh.

There's a Buena Vista in Virginia that's pronounced Byoona Vis-tuh...

26 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

I lived in Painesville, which is in the same county as Willoughby.

Yes Lake County. I'm in Cuyahoga County right next door.

My family is from Scranton, Pa, so I'm familiar with the Lackawanna and Susquehanna and Monongahela. ;)

Never heard of the Youghogheny:o

We have a couple of towns with French names from the earliest settlements. 

Auxvause is a tough one for non-locals to pronounce the way we do. Ah-vause.  I don't know if that's the way the French would pronounce it.  But that's the way we do.

Another is often corrupted is Cote Sans Dessein.  A very early (around 1800) French village set up to be a trapping outpost and trade with Osage Indians.   

Lots of history at that site. An early explorer described it as the next New York.   The first meeting to organize the state were held at that village.  Was selected to be the capital site but title to the property couldn't be secured because ownership went back to Spanish land grants.   It was a thriving community in the western expansion period bring located on the Missouri River but was past up after the railroad and highway were built.  It had a post office until 1928.  I can remember an old country store and several other homes and buildings when I was a kid.  Last time I drove past there their was one farm house. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cote_Sans_Dessein,_Missouri

Only in Texas

Mexia = Ma hay ah not mex e ah

Marquez = Mar kay

On 9/7/2019 at 7:01 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

You could really screw F W W up by telling him/her the “J” is silent in Spanish

That probably would come as a shock to Jose Jimenez.

And I can't find no J in Los Angeles.

I don't even see one in the full name - El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúnculan.

On 9/9/2019 at 4:00 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

There's a Buena Vista in Virginia that's pronounced Byoona Vis-tuh...

One like that in central Colorado too. Locals get pissed when someone pronounces it with a spanish inflection.

Archived