SASS Wire Forum

winchester small pistol primers

cajun bandit

45 minutes ago, Kirk James said:

We run light springs.  Most Winchester primers go off, but it only take one to ruin a great match and we had several that didn't go off.  Use what reliably works in your firearms. We have had two of our gunsmiths suggest we use Federal only due to the light springs.  Good shooting!!!!

Anyone in the Prescott/ Verde Valley area that wants/likes Winchester Sm or Lrg primers, I got a bunch I'll never use. PM me.

During the recent primer shortage I used WSPs for reloading my non-CAS handgun cartridges, saving my limited supply of Federals for CAS.  They loaded well and always fired.  I appreciated that their packaging took much less space in my reloading room than Federals.  I also had excellent results with Remington primers.

I bought 5K Winchester Large Pistol Primers back in 2017 when someone had a free HAZMAT/Free Shipping deal for primers and powder.  Out of that case, which I split with a buddy, we both had numerous failures to ignite.  Both of us where using them for 45 ACP and 45 Colt loads with unmodified guns. I suspect this was a very isolated occurrence to the specific lot of primers.  If I remember correctly the total failures where maybe 30-50 each.  I've gone through all the rest of those primers from that case and everyone of them ignited just fine.  Like I said, probably a very isolated incident of contamination or some other defect.  I have been using Winchester primers for 20 plus years and those failures from the 2017 purchase are the only ones I can remember having problems with.  

For my modified cowboy guns I use Federal primers exclusively with zero issues to date.  Having said that, I've probably jinxed myself for my next match.

55 minutes ago, Bingo Montana said:

I bought 5K Winchester Large Pistol Primers back in 2017 when someone had a free HAZMAT/Free Shipping deal for primers and powder.  Out of that case, which I split with a buddy, we both had numerous failures to ignite.  Both of us where using them for 45 ACP and 45 Colt loads with unmodified guns. I suspect this was a very isolated occurrence to the specific lot of primers.  If I remember correctly the total failures where maybe 30-50 each.  I've gone through all the rest of those primers from that case and everyone of them ignited just fine.  Like I said, probably a very isolated incident of contamination or some other defect.  I have been using Winchester primers for 20 plus years and those failures from the 2017 purchase are the only ones I can remember having problems with.  

For my modified cowboy guns I use Federal primers exclusively with zero issues to date.  Having said that, I've probably jinxed myself for my next match.

Didn't WW have a primer recall for this-At least I thought it was WW. :unsure:

OLG

Winchester primers have a 5% failure to fire for me.  They also produce significantly larger groups than the federals.  With federal primers I have only had 2 out of 20000 not go bang.  Remington is about the same for group size and reliability as winchester.  The only thing that I have used CCI in and have any luck with is my Rock Island 1911, it loves them, go figure.

I've used WW primers almost exclusively for better'n 30 years.  When un-packaging, they get inspected, never found an issue,.  If they need flipping to inspect, I use a pickup tube or long plastic toothpick, never my fingers...  easiest way to contaminate 'em.  Regardless of brand!

If they're un-packaged, they're used;  store in a dry place.  Did I mention they're easily contaminated?

Edit:  looked what I have and it's described as an "o-ring tool".  

Archived