SASS Wire Forum

winchester small pistol primers

cajun bandit

Nope :wub:

Never.

I just finished up a batch of 5000 with no issues in Ellie's guns. I don't know what weight the springs are, but they a certainly lighter than stock. These primers were purchased back in the early 90's! The price on the boxes was $15.95! Boy, there's been some inflation on primers.

I quit using Winchester primers for cowboy loads. Too many that had to be hit 2 or 3 times to get them to go off

44 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

I quit using Winchester primers for cowboy loads. Too many that had to be hit 2 or 3 times to get them to go off

Me too long ago. Winchester’s didn’t go bang in my race 73.

Been using them for 5 years with no issues. However, all my firearms are set up to make any brand of primer go bang.

Personally I dislike the packaging Federal uses for their primers and will only buy them when I cannot buy Winchesters.. 

6 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Me too long ago. Winchester’s didn’t go bang in my race 73.

51 minutes ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Bet you run 'lite' springs too.........

That ain't the primer's fault.

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet you run 'lite' springs too.........

That ain't the primer's fault.

OLG

Sure I run light springs, Federals go bang every time, Winchesters don’t so I say it’s the Winchester primers fault.

2 minutes ago, Caboose said:

Sure I run light springs, Federals go bang every time, Winchesters don’t so I say it’s the Winchester primers fault.

:wacko:

So-You mod the gun-then when it won't 'pop' a certain brand primer, now it's the ''primers fault'' :rolleyes:

Sure it is...........:lol:

OLG

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

:wacko:

So-You mod the gun-then when it won't 'pop' a certain brand primer, now it's the ''primers fault'' :rolleyes:

Sure it is...........:lol:

OLG

We only agree to disagree, I never said Winchester primers were bad, I said they don’t work in my lite spring 73 and I know many sass shooters who are in the same boat. Cajun Bandit asked if anyone had problems with them and they don’t go bang in many modified lite spring firearms. I didn’t say they don’t work, I said they don’t work in my “race 73”. 

1 minute ago, Caboose said:

We only agree to disagree, I never said Winchester primers were bad, I said they don’t work in my lite spring 73 and I know many sass shooters who are in the same boat. Cajun Bandit asked if anyone had problem with them and they don’t go bang in many modified lite spring firearms. I didn’t say they don’t work, I said they don’t work in my “race 73”. 

Cajun Bandit has yet to say just what the problem is, that he is having with them. ;)

OLG

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Cajun Bandit has yet to say just what the problem is, that he is having with them. ;)

OLG

What problem would one have other then they don’t go bang?

I have used Federal, CCI, and most recently Winchester. All three have worked just fine in my race 73. I've only loaded a few thousand but in all of those no problem.

No problem in my Colts and Pietta's, I haven't tried them in my 73, I've been using Federals.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Personally I dislike the packaging Federal uses for their primers and will only buy them when I cannot buy Winchesters.. 

The cons of Federals packaging itsself is worthy of its own thread......

I do not care for them. I have too many failure to fire... however, I still have some of the older Winchester nickel plated primers that work well for me. 

Snakebite

If your springs are too light to set them off, your springs are too light for "race" guns.  Lock time is important.  Springs that are too light cause more issues than primers not going off.  I know shooters that can, quite literally, out run a gun with light springs.  Just stop putting light springs in your guns.

12 hours ago, Snakebite said:

I do not care for them. I have too many failure to fire... however, I still have some of the older Winchester nickel plated primers that work well for me. 

Snakebite

Me too, I have some old WW. Nickel primers never a problem but I had problems with the new ones? so I went to Fed. about 15 years ago and never have had a problem . My pistol have 14 lb spring and they will set off CCI but not some of the new WW primers?

I have encountered bad primers with no compound. They were not Winchesters. Most of the "bad" primers are due to lousy loading practices, shooter error, or guns with light springs. I get an occasional light strike in my rifle and it's on me. Our guns weren't designed to run as quickly as we ask them to today. 

We shoot throughout the year in this part of the country and light springs are not friendly come winter. Folks that are looking for that competitive edge are not going to find it in the lightest springs that'll only set off one brand of primer. 

We run light springs.  Most Winchester primers go off, but it only take one to ruin a great match and we had several that didn't go off.  Use what reliably works in your firearms. We have had two of our gunsmiths suggest we use Federal only due to the light springs.  Good shooting!!!!

Archived