SASS Wire Forum

Specialized Tools for CAS Guns

bgavin

Q:  what specialized tools are required for Marlins, Henrys, Rugers and Stoegers?

For example, Brownells sells their 080-430-435WB slotted bit for Ruger single-action base pin springs.
Long Hunter sells the Stoeger 3-pin spanner for removing firing pin bushings.

I have a proper set of their Magna-Bit gunsmith bits for general work.
The intent is having the right tools to strip the gun down for routine deep cleaning and lubrication.

I have a small screwdriver bit set by Chapman and a Wheeler gunsmith screwdriver / bit set and between them they have every but I need including one that fits the Ruger base pin screw.

...and the Dremel

Uniquetek sells a Springkeeper for Ruger Vaqueros and Blackhawks.  It holds the loading gate spring in position while removing or installing the bolt/trigger pin.  If you completely disassemble a Vaquero or Blackhawk or have to replace a gate spring, it saves you a lot (not all but a lot) of bad words.

http://uniquetek.com/product/T1664

Get this set-

$129.99

Add to Cart
In Stock

Handle: 81 Standard

Style: 58-Bits

This set is also very handy-

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

They are American made with lifetime warranty.

I have used them for yrs.

OLG

I remove and reinstall Ruger loading gate springs using a Mini Pick and Hook Set from Harbor Freight. A lot faster and easier than a spring compression tool. Learned the trick from my gunsmith. He assembles and disassembles Rugers all day long.

63697_W3.jpg

They also come in handy for other things.

Other tools that come in handy include;

Stainless Steel Tweezers Set 6 Pc

Hook & Pick Set 6 Pc

Hyskore Portable Armorer’s Vise

Old bed sheet. Cover yourself with it when working with spring loaded parts for dis-assembly and reassembly.  Stops the parts from flying across the room. 

Large magnet in a ziplok bag. Great for finding dropped screws. Also helpful in locating springs and steel balls that go flying when you forget to use the sheet.

Super bright LED flashlite. Shine it obliquely across the floor with the rest of the light in the room off. Makes it easier to find dropped parts that are not magnetic.

I have thought that I should get a magnet for recovering lost screws and springs. Is that a viable option? 

Is there a device made for the Uberti cylinder advancing hand, spring and little follower?

I dropped the little follower once and was lucky enough to find it. The follower, spring and screw that hold them into the frame are really small. If you remove the hand the follower pops out and disappears into the floor covering. Hence the idea of a magnet.

I fly RC Planes. The RC group I fly with has a magnet about 1”x1”x18” wide mounted on a handle so that you can sweep the floor or ground for lost parts. Lots of little screws in those RC Planes.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get this set-

$129.99

Add to Cart
In Stock

Handle: 81 Standard

Style: 58-Bits

This set is also very handy-

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-bit-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

They are American made with lifetime warranty.

I have used them for yrs.

OLG

That's the one I have.

After having a local "Gunsmith" work on one  of my rifles and looking at the screws when he finished, I think I'll buy him a set!

17 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

I have thought that I should get a magnet for recovering lost screws and springs. Is that a viable option? 

Is there a device made for the Uberti cylinder advancing hand, spring and little follower?

I dropped the little follower once and was lucky enough to find it. The follower, spring and screw that hold them into the frame are really small. If you remove the hand the follower pops out and disappears into the floor covering. Hence the idea of a magnet.

I fly RC Planes. The RC group I fly with has a magnet about 1”x1”x18” wide mounted on a handle so that you can sweep the floor or ground for lost parts. Lots of little screws in those RC Planes.

I do my tear-downs over a white medium sized bath towel.

Stuff don't 'bounce' and the smallest parts are easy to find.

OLG

5 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Don't forget the 500-pound gorilla needed to loosen the screws on Ubertis.

And replacement screws for when/if you get those soft, overtorqued screws out.:unsure:

It's best if you break them loose before going to a match.:P

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

This is the set I have.

Sedalia Dave, thanks for the tips and links.
Harbor Freight is close by, and a friend of mine... ;)

I already have the stainless pick set for camera repairs.
The H.F. high intensity LED flashlight with adjustable beam is also a great tool.
I have a few of them stashed in convenient places.

2 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I use a headlight on guns and around the house for a variety of jobs. My old eyes demand it.

Imis

I have a AA Maglite with a snap on fiber optic attachment for checking the bores in the cleaning kit.

Another handy tool is the one for unscrewing the magazine end plug on 66s and 73s. Before they were available , I used a broke-off piece of hacksaw blade held with vice-grips. No screwdriver that I could find was wide enough with a thin enough blade.

Rex :D

No matter what, everyone needs a  magnetic pick up tool. I have one like the link below only mine has a shorter handle that extends 3.5-4 feet. This longer handle could have come in handy a few times.

Hillman Magnetic Power Pick https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L8T6GXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_oy9CDb7W5TXNK

I cannot tell you how many times a magnet sweeper has saved me time, money and heartache.

I have one of those old Harbor Freight magnets with the handle.
It picks up steel on the bottom surface, and drops it when you pull the handle, moving the internal magnet away from the base plate.

Yep.  It saves me endless grief when dropping tiny computer screws on my office carpet.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:18 PM, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I have an old fork for changing Ruger hammer springs 

The key word is "OLD". Don't ask me how I know, but for some reason wife's don't cotton too well to mangling up one (or more) of their good forks.

As a machinist I've made a few special tools for myself. The last one was to take out a casing that had  blown the base off. I seem to be the clubs resident sight debuckhorner so I made a simple fixture to hold them.

A drill press & vise is an invaluable tool for changing Ruger Vaquero hammer springs.  Much better than a fork.

A set of bits that fit the screws on your firearms is essential unless you want to bugger the screws.

18 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

A drill press & vise is an invaluable tool for changing Ruger Vaquero hammer springs.  Much better than a fork.

Trying to picture how you do that.  Details?

I don't use a fork or a drill press.  Let a vise hold the hammer strut vertically, grasp the mainspring seat in a small pair of vise-grip pliers, compress the spring with the mainspring seat and insert the finishing nail to hold it in place.  But learning new techniques is fun!  :D

Howdy,

A gadget called Grabber from Lowes for less that 20 bucks.

Absolutely worth its weight in gold, well at least silver.

And that little bitty magnet on an extender handle, so handy.

And a reeeellly bright light sure turns up little parts.

Also its not ezzactly a TOOL but fingernail polish can mark things

and it stays put.  BUTTTT it can be removed with just a touch of remover.

I often get the fingernail polish remover out when marking things.

Remember polish is  just colored superglue.

Best

CR

On 9/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

have thought that I should get a magnet for recovering lost screws and springs. Is that a viable option? 

I carry a 3-inch by 3-inch sewing pin magnet with me for just such emergencies.......

I've used it several times out in the rain on a grassy stage while making emergency changes to firing pins, hands, Etc ....... 

I definitely recommend having one with you .......

21 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Trying to picture how you do that.  Details?

I don't use a fork or a drill press.  Let a vise hold the hammer strut vertically, grasp the mainspring seat in a small pair of vise-grip pliers, compress the spring with the mainspring seat and insert the finishing nail to hold it in place.  But learning new techniques is fun!  :D

I clamp the strut in the chuck.  Clamp the spring retainer in vise's jaws.  Lower the chuck to compress the hammer spring & remove the retaining pin.  Raise the chuck to remove & install new spring.  Lower the chuck to compress the spring & install pin.  For me the press makes it a lot easier to compress the spring.

Archived