SASS Wire Forum

Militariosity

Utah Bob #35998

Ahh, nothing new under the Sun!

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

They need to take away the phones and only let them have flip phones.....all that silliness crap goes away!

You definitely did not serve in the units I did.

Young men, away from home, in barracks, w/o the Sargent.

What could go wrong?

2 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

No.  It will still be there.  It will just be undocumented.

Angus

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

You definitely did not serve in the units I did.

That's for sure. I spent the last 22 months of my 2 year draft obligation in Special Services playing football, baseball & wrestling for the 4th Army. When I wasn't doing that I life guarded in the post pool. Playing sports for the Army offered plenty of opportunities to have our pictures taken and publicity for our efforts.

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Glad there were no camera/phones. We were undocumented idiots, too

Imis

18 years olds with guns, explosives and time on their hands. :D

When I was in the Navy guys were pretty much the same as guys today. Only difference was there were no video cameras then. 

I do recall on one of our cruises the Navy sent a camera crew to our ship to video life aboard our ship. Everyone acted normally (a little crazy) until the camera showed up. Then everyone went about their business as if Mom & Dad just came home and the kids had been misbehavin’.

It was funny to watch the crews reaction to that camera. There was no goofing off or funny antics.

Unfortunately a lot of folks join up for the benefits and seem to forget that they're mostly there in case the government needs them to go kill people. I remember the recruiters who visited my high school during the 1980s were all gushing over the various career paths available, technical skills learned, and shortcuts to college. Nothing about being cannon fodder. I guess it's sort of like seeing those pictures of lovely girls on the beaches of Cancun at the travel agency or those fat, juicy hamburgers on the MacDonalds reader board. They'll entice you in, but you may not get what they advertised! :blink:

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Unfortunately a lot of folks join up for the benefits and seem to forget that they're mostly there in case the government needs them to go kill people. I remember the recruiters who visited my high school during the 1980s were all gushing over the various career paths available, technical skills learned, and shortcuts to college. Nothing about being cannon fodder. I guess it's sort of like seeing those pictures of lovely girls on the beaches of Cancun at the travel agency or those fat, juicy hamburgers on the MacDonalds reader board. They'll entice you in, but you may not get what they advertised! :blink:

“Join up, son”. It’s a hell of a dangerous job and you could get killed or crippled in a heartbeat. And the pay ain’t that good”

Said no recruiter ever. :lol::lol:

Best all time depiction of an Army recruiter was in Stripes. ;)

On 9/5/2019 at 11:54 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

They need to take away the phones and only let them have flip phones.....all that silliness crap goes away!

16 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Glad there were no camera/phones. We were undocumented idiots, too

Imis

Image result for wwii bazooka funny pictures

On 9/5/2019 at 5:59 PM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

That's for sure. I spent the last 22 months of my 2 year draft obligation in Special Services playing football, baseball & wrestling for the 4th Army. When I wasn't doing that I life guarded in the post pool. Playing sports for the Army offered plenty of opportunities to have our pictures taken and publicity for our efforts.

I had a neighbor who did that. When he got a knee injury, the surgeons opened up the wrong knee.

11 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

“Join up, son”. It’s a hell of a dangerous job and you could get killed or crippled in a heartbeat. And the pay ain’t that good”

Said no recruiter ever. :lol::lol:

Best all time depiction of an Army recruiter was in Stripes. ;)

:lol:

When I joined the Navy the recruiter said:

”No, they don’t buzz your head in boot camp and those picture of all the guys in short hair. Those are just guidelines. You can have longer hair, check out these European sailors (he had pictures) they don’t have short hair. This is what the US Navy’s going for.” He lied.

”The food? The food is excellent! The best food out of every branch of the military. (He obviously had never been on an Air Force base) Heck, they even have McDonalds on board every ship at lunch. (I looked skeptical) Well, it’s like McDonalds. Burgers and fries every day at lunch.” He lied.

”You only have to wear your uniform at work and when on duty. The rest of the time it’s civvies all the way.” He lied

”Once you get out of Boot Camp and your “A” School Training you can have your pick of duty anywhere on any ship. You’re a GMM. That is a ship board rating so shore duty is out.(only truth he told) But if you want a ship in the South Pacific, it’s yours!” He lied.

There were more I won’t bore you with...He lied. But in the grand scheme of things he told half truths. Some people would have been more angry with him.

Now, that mother....that sonuvabastage at the Army recruiting office. He was a fu...he was a flippin’ lying incompetent low down piece of...

Anyway, he told me I couldn’t fly choppers because I wore glasses and couldn’t see 20/20. He didn’t lie. He was an ignorant moron that at the time, ruined my life. At least that is how I saw it.

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

”No, they don’t buzz your head in boot camp and those picture of all the guys in short hair. Those are just guidelines. You can have longer hair, check out these European sailors (he had pictures) they don’t have short hair. This is what the US Navy’s going for.” He lied.

”The food? The food is excellent! The best food out of every branch of the military. (He obviously had never been on an Air Force base) Heck, they even have McDonalds on board every ship at lunch. (I looked skeptical) Well, it’s like McDonalds. Burgers and fries every day at lunch.” He lied.

”You only have to where your uniform at work and when on duty. The rest of the time it’s civvies all the way.” He lied

”Once you get out of Boot Camp and your “A” School Training you can have your pick of duty anywhere on any ship. You’re a GMM. That is a ship board rating so shore duty is out.(only truth he told) But if you want a ship in the South Pacific, it’s yours!” He lied.

There were more I won’t bore you with...He lied. But in the grand scheme of things he told half truths. Some people would have been more angry with him.

Now, that mother....that sonuvabastage at the Army recruiting office. He was a fu...he was a flippin’ lying incompetent low down piece of...

Anyway, he told me I couldn’t fly choppers because I wore glasses and couldn’t see 20/20. He didn’t lie. He was an ignorant moron that at the time, ruined my life. At least that is how I saw it.

They told me I couldn’t fly choppers because I had myopia...even though I had 20/20 vision and didn’t wear glasses. Regs are Regs.:blink::angry:

A year later they eased up on the requirements, but I had wised up by then.:D

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

:lol:

”You only have to wear your uniform at work and when on duty. The rest of the time it’s civvies all the way.” He lied

Never promised me nothing, just step forward and raise your right hand and repeat after me. Oh yea, I was drafted! How I ended up in Special Services playing sports as my MOS., I'll never know.

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They told me I couldn’t fly choppers because I had myopia...even though I had 20/20 vision and didn’t wear glasses. Regs are Regs.:blink::angry:

A year later they eased up on the requirements, but I had wised up by then.:D

I wanted to fly choppers in the worst way. I had it all planned. Sign up for 6 maybe reap for 4 more. Fly choppers for Uncle Sam then get out and get a job with the forest service flying folks in to fight fires and such. 

Oh well, it’s just as well. I have a really bad fear of heights. :lol:

Archived