SASS Wire Forum

Army Oath?

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Does anyone have the exact oath that is used to swear into the US Army?

Actually I would like what ever version was used in the spring of 1968....if at all possible.

Thanks aheadotime.

Best

CR

The above is the same oath of enlistment that is used for all US military branches except the Army / Air National Guards.

Oath of enlistment for all services except Nat’l Guard:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

Here is the Army / Air National Guard oath:

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God.

From time to time, I defend the legal profession, we all take oaths as well.  In Tennessee I took an oath like this.

I do solemnly swear or affirm that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Tennessee, and that I will truly and honestly demean myself in the practice of my profession to the best of my skill and abilities, so help me God.

I am not, by my oath, required to follow orders or to defer to rank or office, only to the constitutions I have pledged to uphold.  I prefer the oath I took, but thank each of you that took the other ones.

We give our oath to the Queen.  "I __________ do solemnly swear true allegiance to Her Majesty, the Queen, Elizabeth the Second, her heirs and successors, so help me God"  Nothing in there about the government.  As an Australian army general once said, "A soldier serves his Queen, not his government." 

I guess that all oaths of office regardless of where you are from, come down to the same thing in the long run.  You are swearing allegiance to whomever you are working for.   Or, in cowboy land, you are riding for the brand.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Nothing in there about the government.  As an Australian army general once said, "A soldier serves his Queen, not his government."

I'm thinking that could get you in some trouble. ;)

Archived