SASS Wire Forum

A touch of history

Too Tall Bob

Jesse James

Outlaw Jesse James

Profession: Outlaw

Nationality:  United States of America American

Why Famous: Former confederate guerrilla during the US Civil war, James became an outlaw and bandit notorious for robbing banks and trains. Formed gangs with his brother Frank and associates and evaded capture for about 15 years. Killed by a member of his gang in 1882 for reward money.

Born: September 51847
Birthplace: Kearney, Missouri, USA 
Star Sign: Virgo

Died: April 31882 (aged 34)
Cause of Death: Shot

Articles on Jesse James

Married Life

• 1874-04-24 Outlaw Jesse James marries cousin Zerelda 'Zee' Mimms

Events in the Life of Jesse James

• 1864-09-27 Jesse James' gang surprise attack train: 150 killed
  • 1866-02-13 Jesse James holds up his first bank, stealing $15,000 from the Clay County Savings Association in Liberty, Missouri
  • 1866-10-30 Jesse James' gang robs bank in Lexington, Missouri ($2000)
  • 1867-03-02 Jesse James' gang robs bank in Savannah Missouri, 1 killed
  • 1867-05-23 Jesse James gang robs bank in Richmond, Missouri (2 die, $4,000 taken)
  • 1868-03-20 Jesse James Gang robs a bank in Russellville, Kentucky, of $14,000
  • 1868-12-07 Jesse James gang robs bank in Gallatin Missouri, kills 1
  • 1871-06-03 Jesse James & his gang robs Obocock Bank (Corydon Iowa), of $15,000
  • 1871-07-03 Jesse James robs bank in Corydon, Iowa ($45,000)
  • 1872-04-12 Jesse James gang robs bank in Columbia, Kentucky (1 dead/$1,500)
  • 1873-07-21 Jesse James and James Younger gang's 1st train robbery (Adair Iowa)
  • 1874-01-31 Jesse James gang robs a train at Gads Hill, Missouri
  • 1874-12-08 Jesse James gang takes train at Muncie Kansas
  • 1875-07-07 Jesse James robs train in Otterville, Missouri
  • 1882-04-03 American outlaw Jesse James is killed by Robert Ford at home in St Joseph

Curiosity about the first train attack caused me to go looking for info and I found the link below.

Sure, the James and Youngers fascinate us now but I am sure I wouldn’t want anything to do with them back in their day. 

https://www.legendsofamerica.com/we-jessejamestimeline/

Jesse James, John Wesley Hardin, Billy the Kid, and Bonnie & Clyde are all celebrated outlaws thanks to the fame and notoriety they received in the press for doing what they did. Unfortunately it masks the fact that they were vicious killers no different than the mass shooters and gangbangers we are dealing with today. Had Jesse James lived in 2019 and committed the crimes he did we wouldn't be celebrating the man.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Jesse James, John Wesley Hardin, Billy the Kid, and Bonnie & Clyde are all celebrated outlaws thanks to the fame and notoriety they received in the press for doing what they did. Unfortunately it masks the fact that they were vicious killers no different than the mass shooters and gangbangers we are dealing with today. Had Jesse James lived in 2019 and committed the crimes he did we wouldn't be celebrating the man.

To me it is not so much to celebrate but to remember American  history.....All the good parts and bad parts.....

Texas Lizard

10 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

To me it is not so much to celebrate but to remember American  history.....All the good parts and bad parts.....

Texas Lizard

Well, given the number of movies about Jessie and his ilk I say they’re kinda celebrated. Usually not depicted as really bad types just misunderstood rough young fellas. But that’s Hollywood and fiction novels. Folks who study history know better. 

But folks who study history are rare as hen’s  teeth these days. 

Present company excepted of course. :D

A lot of rancor came about from the War of Northern Aggression.  Just because Lee surrendered doesn't mean everyone else did. Carpetbaggers and Reconstruction didn't help much either.  I admit when watching Jesse James movies or others involving Confederates, I generally root for them against the damnyankees.

PF

And thus is the peculiar juxtaposition of being an Old West reenactor or being fascinated with Old West history. We celebrate the era of the gunslingers, cowboys, Indians, gamblers, rustlers, and outlaws while trying to remain detached from the fact that a lot of what happened isn't something to celebrate. I guess it's the same problem with being a World War Two "enthusiast"... as much as I love reading about it and watching air shows with P-51s and ME-109s flying, no way in Hell would I want to be transported back in time to re-live it! :blink:

Archived