SASS Wire Forum

We Should Thank Wal-Mart & Dick's

Subdeacon Joe

I'm lucky enough to live within 10 miles of 6 gun shops and 3 indoor ranges. One is less than 4 miles from me in fact I used to work there part time. I frequent all these shops and buy when I can. I've got some excellent deals on firearms, ammo and reloading equipment. I'm on a first name basis with every one of these shops!;)

WalMart and Dick's can kiss my grits!!

Howdy,

If I could just get the owners of the local shops to climb out of their graves

Well zombie gun dealers just don't sound right, I guess...

Its an all morning adventure to go to a gun shop around here.

Two shops to comparison shop would be ALL day and at least a half tank of gas.

when I was a kid there were four shops on main street. All gone now.

At least I have a couple of the dream guns of my youth.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm lucky enough to live within 10 miles of 6 gun shops and 3 indoor ranges. One is less than 4 miles from me in fact I used to work there part time. I frequent all these shops and buy when I can. I've got some excellent deals on firearms, ammo and reloading equipment. I'm on a first name basis with every one of these shops!;)

WalMart and Dick's can kiss my grits!!

The Prescott, AZ area was declared "Gun Town, USA" a few years back.  They allegedly have more FFL shops per capita than anywhere else in the country.  I must have close to a dozen within a couple of miles of my front door, more if you include hock shops, GP outfitters ,and biker shops.

Nobody Bought many guns from Dick and not many people buy guns from Walmart anyway.  We miss those big stores like Custer would have missed those Indians. 

Try being in Illinois - they just took out over half the gun dealers in the state - especially the smaller ones with a draconian state licensing scheme - and now we lose another big box retailer. People are going to be hurting to drive to gun stores and maybe find what they need. Can't wait as they also have plans to ban mail order ammo. Just less choices and more money - yeah I'm celebrating. 

Walmart here hasn’t sold guns in years. Since their last silliness they can shove it for all I care.

Dicks has never seen but about $50 of my money in the entire time I have known about them. The couple times I went to the gun counter it was manned by guys that knew nothing about the guns they sold. 

Google? I use DuckDuckGo (Thank you Rye) and I am weaning myself off Google maps. 

These folks just don’t need my money or my patronage, apparently. 

I have a new favorite gun store less than 5 miles from me and two more around 7 miles plus there is an LAX ammo store. They all get my business.

I've never used WalMart or Dicks for guns or ammo...but these developments scare me.

As soon as the big box stores no longer sell guns for "social" reasons, it sends a signal that gun owners are outside the mainstream, and alienates us even further.

Any restriction or contraction of gun/ammo availability is a bad thing.

Here, we are already banned from mailorders for ammo or components.

That leaves us with only LGS, which have been badly thinned out by regulation and (former) big box price competition.

The only bright light is that with the big boys gone, a LGS may prosper' but that may take time to have an effect.

LL

My wife reminded me last night that before we moved back to Southern California that in Oregon, Sacramento and in North Carolina that we frequented Walmart a couple times a month and that in North Carolina I would go there at least once a week to buy fishing tackle.

She said “You and your friends need to let Walmart know that you are done with them. Just not shopping there any longer isn’t going to tell them anything.”

She’s right. I never shopped a Dicks but Walmart has seen a LOT of my money over the years. It’s time to let them know they will see no more.

I am emailing them today. 

I emailed them through their corporate website. I tried to copy my email and paste it here but my phone, or their website, wouldn’t let me copy it.  Once I hear back from them, if I hear back from them, I will post it here.

Here is their corporate contact site:

https://corporate.walmart.com/contact-us

I basically said I could not support their decision to stop selling certain kinds of ammo snd I strongly disapproved of them injecting themselves into Second Amendment politics. 

I told them that my family has spent tens of thousands of dollars in their stores from coast to coast since the late 1970’s and that we will no longer patronize their stores.

I told them I would give all the business they would normally get to their competitors. I said “If you are smirking and thinking to your self ‘What competition?’ here is a list: Amazon, Target, local gun shops, Bass Pro / Cabela’s, Stater Bros, Vons, other more locally oriented businesses”. (I am not a big fan of Target but they don’t need to know that)

“You all no longer need my money”

I inserted my name and the city where I live now then did a PS:

I then listed all the names of the cities where we bought things in their stores. That was a long list...We sure do get around. 

Walmart is no more, as far as I am concerned. 

If only my local gun dealers were better businessmen this wouldn't be such a big deal. Many of them have run themselves out of business with their piss-poor attitudes and exorbitant prices. I understand they have to make a buck, but not when they're literally pricing guns above MSRP and refusing to special order anything they don't stock or accept transfers. If anything they will probably all RAISE their prices on ammo since they know people can't just go to Wally World anymore.

I always stop in the mom and pop gun shops during my travels.  I have enjoyed countless free cups of coffee and enjoyed great company and like minded people.  I have found some true treasures over the years that I would never have found in a large corporate store.  Long live the cowboy /cowgirls and the mom and pop gun shops.

Archived