SASS Wire Forum

Where does your mind immediately go?

Alpo

Don't remember where I read this. They were talking to the suspect about Dawn, and he said he did not know her. They asked him how he knew it was a woman.

Hmmmm. Dawn/Don.

Castle episode, and the guy with the suicide vest was demanding the release of Aaron someone. They couldn't figure out who that was, and then the computer asked if they meant Erin.

Hmmmm again.

So when you hear one of those sorta androgynous names, do you immediately think guy or girl?

Terry Bradshaw or Terri Garr?

Don Merideth or Dawn Wells?

Pat Boone or Pat Benitar?

Aaron Burr or Erin Brockovich?

Chris Rock or Chris Everett?

Addison is a very popular girl's name now.

I believe it is traditionally a boys name from Scotland.

A lot of girls today would probably be shocked. And more hilariously, offended.

All the names Alpo mentioned are easy 'cause we've grown up with those folks.

Otherwise anymore it can be a crap shoot as to whether a name OR the person is male or female or the other option.

;)

I agree with Charlie. If properly pronounced I know the difference.

Regarding Pat, Chris, Terry it depends on the context, but I do assume the masculine unless the context dictates otherwise. 

My son played basketball last summer with a boy named Erin, yes spelled Erin with an E; not sure if his mother was born in Ireland or Scotland, but she said that's they way they spelled it where she came from.

What's even more ridiculous is when parents decided to make their child more unique by changing the spelling of their name.

Mary - Mari

Sherry - Sherri

Amy - Aimee

Hailey - Haylee

Jacob - Jaykob

I wasn't thinking of foreign names. Evelyn seems to be a common British name for boys, but I've never met an American guy named Evelyn.

My father's mother was named John. Grandpa's name was Francis. But that's okay because it's spelled with an I. That makes it a guy's name. His father, however, had a brother named Frances, with an E. :huh:

That's two more names that I had not thought of.

Francis Scott Key/Frances Bavier (Aunt Bee)

Gene Wilder/Jean Harlow

On 9/4/2019 at 10:40 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

What's even more ridiculous is when parents decided to make their child more unique by changing the spelling of their name.

Mary - Mari

Sherry - Sherri

Amy - Aimee

Hailey - Haylee

Jacob - Jaykob

My Great Aunt Betti named her daughter Sherri and one of her grandsons is named Jayson; absolutely nothing wrong with alternate spellings.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Online story I was reading. High school girl mentions one of her classmates.

Mikhal.

Said she didn't understand why his parents didn't name him Michael. That's how it was pronounced.

I had to agree with her.

Knew a male airman whose first name was Beverly, and a guy I hunted with whose first name was spelled Bernice (but, pronounced Burn-iss).  When we named our daughters, I made sure their names were easy to recognize as well as easy to spell so as to make it easy to fill out forms without confusion.

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Online story I was reading. High school girl mentions one of her classmates.

Mikhal.

Said she didn't understand why his parents didn't name him Michael. That's how it was pronounced.

I had to agree with her.

What about actress Michael Learned? IIRC she played the mother on Little House on the Prairie.  "If you have a boy, name him John or Joe...anything but SUE!"

2 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What about actress Michael Learned? IIRC she played the mother on Little House on the Prairie.

The Waltons.

Karen Grassle was Little House.

3 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Knew a male airman whose first name was Beverly, and a guy I hunted with whose first name was spelled Bernice (but, pronounced Burn-iss).  When we named our daughters, I made sure their names were easy to recognize as well as easy to spell so as to make it easy to fill out forms without confusion.

Trailrider,

My point exactly.

You..

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif.e3ec9c96d86271e347c03d7cad79eb00.gif

My kids are Emma and Adam, no messing with those names yet. We wanted to name him Morgan, but felt there were too many female Morgans running around.

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Mary - Mari

Sherry - Sherri

Amy - Aimee

Hailey - Haylee

Jacob - Jaykob

It’s not always intentional. Trust me.

I cannot tell the difference in pronunciation between Aaron and Erin. I guess it depends on what part of the country you’re in.

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Mary - Mari

Sherry - Sherri

Amy - Aimee

Hailey - Haylee

Jacob - Jaykob

I have fond memories of a lass named Aimee. 

I worked with a guy in Colorado Springs who named his youngest daughter Laurel-Ann.

His last name was "Hardy"
I asked if he did that on purpose...
He said, "She'll get married some day."

47 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I cannot tell the difference in pronunciation between Aaron and Erin. I guess it depends on what part of the country you’re in.

Indeed.  No difference in these parts... same for Dawn and Don.

11 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Different where I'm from.

Aaron = Air-un

Erin - Err-in

Subtle difference (particularly in the first syllable), but noticeable.   Even more subtle with Don and Dawn.

"Pat" in particular though I automatically think androgynous; either a masculine female or an effeminate male.  

Then there's that whole boy named Sue thing

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

There's an internet "test" purporting to tell you how "southern" you are by the terms you use, and how you pronounce certain words.

One of the questions is, "Do you pronounce cot and caught the same way?"

Apparently some people do. I don't.

And while to, too and two sound the same, your and you're sound totally different. Their and there sound the same, but they're doesn't sound like either one of them.

49 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I worked with a guy in Colorado Springs who named his youngest daughter Laurel-Ann.

His last name was "Hardy"
I asked if he did that on purpose...
He said, "She'll get married some day."

Ugh. I get that parents want their kids to have "individuality," all parents do. But how about excelling in sports, scholastics, community projects, etc?

My wife and I sub at a grade and high school.

Let's just say we feel sorry for the kids that have some of the more interesting names.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My first name is Dana. And yes I took a lot of crap back in grade school. :angry:

Had a guy fiend in high school named Dana.  He pronounced it DANa, not DAYna.  I also worked for a lady back in 1993 who pronounced her name DANa.

I just offended by people who name their daughters Taylor.  My family name has been Taylor for about 550 years that I can prove.

I had an acquaintance years ago named Rene, but he pronounced it Renny. I've also got a male friend named Dana, and two male friends named Kim - and they're not Asian.

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Indeed.  No difference in these parts... same for Dawn and Don.

Dawn and Don deffinitely differ.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My first name is Dana. And yes I took a lot of crap back in grade school. :angry:

One of my cousin's sons is named Dana. I never gave it any thought that it might be confused for a girl's name. BTW, he was born on my birthday. How B) is that.

18 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I had an acquaintance years ago named Rene, but he pronounced it Renny. I've also got two male friends named Kim - and they're not Asian.

One of Hubby's cousin's son is named Kimball and his nickname is Kim. Again, I never gave it any thought that it might be mistaken for a girl's name.

Now, a boy named Sue might be different. :)

2 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Let's just say we feel sorry for the kids that have some of the more interesting names.

I had a vice principal in Jr. high school named Mr. Bieter, pronounced with a long "E"
He named his new baby son "Peter".

Some guys are just plain dense.

Archived