SASS Wire Forum

Can anyone identify this shotgun?

Croc Holiday

Hey all!  This thing has been decor in my Ma’s house since I was a littlen’.  Never paid it much mind until I started SASS.  My ma says it was an antique when she got it.  It has a score of issues I can see.  Hammers were “frozen for safety”, it’s missing a firing pin and  one of the triggers is broken:  That’s what I can see from the outside.  It has no identifying marks that I can see.  Wondering if anyone can identify it and if it might be worth maybe getting it back in working order.  It’s beat to hell but I’ve always liked it.  Hoping resurrection is possible.  Let me know what ya think.

881365AC-5E4F-4EF3-B0EF-17B6DF3FC7AC.jpeg

BD42C8F9-606D-431E-8128-58138B18F187.jpeg

6D983099-9669-4BB5-950A-3ADE85C5E77A.jpeg

B24280AE-E4AC-44DD-8D9F-B4EB731C3CB7.jpeg

051A9021-17A2-4C43-A53E-2AD39D4FD8D2.jpeg

8 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Are there any markings/stamps on the water table?

(e.g. proof marks)?

What’s the water table?  I’m not familiar with that term.

Really, you guys don’t have much hope?  I thought trim the barrels (I think they’re 8’ long haha), replace springs, triggers and firing pins, clean it up and Bob’s your uncle!  I have zero smithing experience so it likely sounds easier than it really is.

4 minutes ago, Croc Holiday said:

What’s the water table?  I’m not familiar with that term.

Really, you guys don’t have much hope?  I thought trim the barrels (I think they’re 8’ long haha), replace springs, triggers and firing pins, clean it up and Bob’s your uncle!  I have zero smithing experience so it likely sounds easier than it really is.

The water table is that section of the frame that is covered by the barrels when the action is closed.

IMO, finding (or making) replacement parts would most likely be cost-prohibitive (even for a professional).

I suggest taking it to a local gunsmith for an evaluation (e.g. Guntraders in Redmond)

Many a moon ago before in internet I had one very similar to the one pictured. It was marked "Bridges Gun Company". It was made in Belgium and as the story I uncovered went they were built by apprentices for private label export and sold under many names. Mine had the Belgium proof marks but I do not remember where they were on the gun.

Based on the Floating Back Action Side Locks, the Dolls Head at the barrel breach and shape of the hammers, I would venture it's origin at mid/Northern Europe.  Very close to guns from J P Sauer in Germany, Husqvarna and Belgian market guns.  The barrels are "off face" and I'm betting the corrosion is just as bad inside as it is outside.  Quite cost prohibitive trying to make it a shooter.  Tis however, a fine 3D wall decoration.  If you knew the manufacturer, the wood would be worth more than the gun, which other than decoration, is actually scrap.

The wood on it is very nice.  They are telling you true. Probably isn't worth a lot.

I also have a couple of guns that isn't worth anything. Missing parts etc.

Picked up parts here and there. As long as you aren't in a hurry you can get it up and running.

If the Barrels are pitter real bad. There is a company that make inserts, you could change it over to 20 gauge.

Sometimes the best causes are the lost ones.

23 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

The barrels are "off face" and I'm betting the corrosion is just as bad inside as it is outside...

Corrosion?  I say patina haha.  I'll have to look and see. 

6 minutes ago, Cheatin Charlie said:

Looks like one of those Million Dollar memory guns.  Looking at it brings back a Million memories of your childhood.

Yea, I think that's the case.  Do I like it because it's cool or because it's always been around. 

Maybe I'll take it apart and see what the innards look like.  I haven't checked the inside of the barrels so I'll do that too.  If it's not too bad I'll run it past a smith and see if there's any hope.

It will get to see a match at least.  It'll be a prop gun that has to be carried about at a stage.  Not the glory of knocking some targets down but better than just propped in the corner of my man cave.

I have 2 wall hangers similar on the wall in my great room. One has some family history as it was my Wife's Great Grandfather's. Both are muzzleloaders. Great decorations......definitely not shooters!

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'd say it identifies as an assault weapon.  Better gather up all your trigger locks and secure it quick!

I have to hide it’s clips too!  

It is probably an inexpensive "Hardware Store" gun imported from Belgium during that period of time. Some were marked with makers marks similar to well known makers like Wesley Richards (W. Richards) .  They had fluid steel barrels instead of the English twisted steel barrels. Usually a solid gun.

Lucky grin_zpsebe960c5.png

Archived