SASS Wire Forum

Walmart to stop selling handgun, .223 ammo

Sixgun Sheridan

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

That just proves how out of touch the gun banners are. I shoot at least 200 rounds every weekend when I go to the range!

My two grandsons know that it takes  at least 500 rounds of 22 lr to kill a half dozen out of date bean cans!

I wonder if knives will be next?  Although the weapon in this article is not identified it is most likely a blade of some sort or a bludgeon.  PS this didn't stay up on the news very long....doesn't fit their narrative!  Chinese School Massacre

I will never knock Walmart they keep my wife alive. Her insulin was costing us almost $1500 a month which we couldn’t afford and she wasn’t taking. We discovered that Walmart was able to provide her insulin for less than $150 very affordable. The rest of her diabetic supplies are also similarly priced. 

If you don’t like Walmart’s business plan don’t shop there.

Other than 22’s I haven’t bought a single round of factory ammo in 15 years and have only bought one gun from other than my LGS in 30 years and I buy a lot of guns,

21 hours ago, bgavin said:

No.
Mine is the regular license that was first issued to me in 1967.
I understand there is a "bear" or some graphic on the "real" license, which I am due to obtain when mine expires in November.

How can you have a 52 year old license??

Bought a box of 200 Federal 9mm today. There wasn't exactly a rush on ammo. Maybe the word hasn't gotten around yet.

49 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

How can you have a 52 year old license??

Really...

The point being:  mine is the original citizen driver's license CA issued for decades before they starting giving them to illegals.
It has been the standard for proof of identity for a very long time.
My D/L number was assigned by CA in August of 1967, and has remained the same for 52 years.

My license is renewed every 10 years.
Photo not so often frequently.

CA started issuing drivers licenses to illegals, with some verbiage that identified it with the words "Federal limits apply".
CA also started issuing "real" drivers licenses to citizens for a $36 fee, that has a "golden bear" and star emblem in the upper right corner.

My original drivers license is good through November of this year.
It is 100% bonafide for ID, everywhere except the Walmart ammunition counter.
It is also 100% accepted at multiple FFLs and DOJ safety course examinations.

On 9/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

England already banned large knives and swords, unless it's a prop without a functional edge. They even considered banning large kitchen and butcher knives as well, at least until they realized it's pretty hard to slice a piece of roast beef without one.

But I saw a video of a famous British TV Chef loudly proclaim that No one; not even professional chefs need a knife with a blade longer than 3 inches.

Always wondered how he filleted a fish. :o

44 minutes ago, punxsutawneypete said:

Could anybody explain to me what problem will be solved by Walmart refusing to sell me a box of .38 Special wadcutter target loads?  

Somewhere a SnowFlafe was saved from becoming a puddle on the floor????

My question is why you are even buying ammunition at Walmart? I have never felt the need to buy a single round there. Support your local small dealer buy there instead 

1 minute ago, Henry T Harrison said:

My question is why you are even buying ammunition at Walmart? I have never felt the need to buy a single round there. Support your local small dealer buy there instead 

+10000000;)

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

As feel good as this is, that is just not cost effective for a high volume shooter.

A couple boxes, sure, but when the local dealers are charging $3-6 more per box for the same ammo, high volume shooters, unless Koch brothers rich, will buy ammo from a more affordable source.

I know guys who shoot thousands of round per year. Some 10's of thousands. Non CAS ammo. Some do not have the time to reload or do not want to reload so they buy quality ammo for where ever is least expensive. Walmart happened to fill that need with 9mm and 223/5.56.

I know of at least 2 LGSs who are charging more than $20/box of 9mm fmj, $13/box of 20 223 55 grain fmj,  $25/box of LRN 38s, $50/box of 45 Colt. And 1 is asking $55/box of 45 Schofield. Whaaaaaaaat? I have personally seen people openly balk at these prices, put the ammo back on the shelf and walk out. At that point the LGS ain't selling ANY ammo to those potential customers ever again.

It is what it is.

We need not demonize the local gun shops for their higher prices on ammo. They cannot buy at the same wholesale rate as a huge multi national corporation. Their profit margins are not huge, especially on firearms.

It's a shame but that's business.

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

We need not demonize the local gun shops for their higher prices on ammo. They cannot buy at the same wholesale rate as a huge multi national corporation. Their profit margins are not huge, especially on firearms.

It's a shame but that's business.

Your local gun store can’t buy ammunition for even close to what the big box stores are able to sell it for. If you don’t support your local gun store don’t cry when their gone 

5 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

While I agree with you in principle, I work hard for my money and this hobby is very expensive. When I can buy 200-packs of Federal 9mm from Wally World for $33 and the local shops are all $12/ea for boxes of 50 it makes a huge difference in my yearly ammunition expenditures. I used to buy from Cabelas for cheap, but ever since the Bass Pro takeover they've raised their prices on ammo so now it looks like I'll have to buy online. Sorry, but I simply can't afford $12/box for 9mm and $21/box for .45ACP from the small mom n' pop stores. Instead I usually buy my guns from them since I don't like buying them sight unseen from an online seller.

That’s why I reload. With the exception of 22’s I haven’t bought a box of factory ammunition in many years. I factor the cost of dies into the price of the gun 

Some people just cannot reload all the calibers they shoot. No room for the equipment and not enough free time to reload thousands of rounds.

Yup, Cabelas went to hell when Bass Pro bought 'em. Pretty much worthless for good ammo pricing now.

Archived