SASS Wire Forum

Walmart / Sam's club

Hells Comin

29 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Yer choice, but it IS quite common in AZ

When he make it sound as though he CAN'T carry concealed...that open carry is his only choice...it's silly.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oddly enough, I somewhat agree with Phantom.  I don't find it silly I just think it is not a good tactical decision to open carry.  The case that sealed it for me was a recent video where an open carry person had his gun stolen from him. The perp just snatched it and ran.

Proof Open Carry is a Bad Idea

I watched another video where the guy fought off the perp trying to steal his gun, or worse. (couldn't find it)

I choose not to carry open. For those of you that do I pray that you are using at least a level two retention holster. (another reason I don't open carry. you have to practice with level 2 retention holster)

5 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Oddly enough, I somewhat agree with Phantom.  I don't find it silly I just think it is not a good tactical decision to open carry.  The case that sealed it for me was a recent video where an open carry person had his gun stolen from him. The perp just snatched it and ran.

Proof Open Carry is a Bad Idea

I watched another video where the guy fought off the perp trying to steal his gun, or worse. (couldn't find it)

I choose not to carry open. For those of you that do I pray that you are using at least a level two retention holster. (another reason I don't open carry. you have to practice with level 2 retention holster)

The silly comment was in reference to the idea that he can't carry concealed... That open carry is his only option.

Ok Phantom, I will answer your question.  I work part time at a Gun Shop in AZ and am required to wear a handgun while at work.  During the winter time I am wearing a jacket, so I am concealed carrying.  The summer temperatures are running in the high 90's daily so dressing for hot weather.  Sometimes on my way home I will stop at one of the stores that are now asking their customers not to open carry, but it's ok to conceal carry.  I will not leave my handgun in my vehicle while shopping.  This doesn't really make much sense to the employees I have talked to about this new policy.  Their opinion is they would rather know who "is" carrying a handgun than who is "possibly" carrying a handgun.  In Arizona during the summer you will see many people open carry everywhere you go.

I guess maybe it's just an Arizona thing to open carry.  I have had employees from Gunsite, one of the best firearms training facilities in the country, come into the gun shop open carrying.  Whether someone wants to or doesn't want to open carry, it's their choice.  That's what makes America great, you can make your own choices.

4 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Ok Phantom, I will answer your question.  I work part time at a Gun Shop in AZ and am required to wear a handgun while at work.  During the winter time I am wearing a jacket, so I am concealed carrying.  The summer temperatures are running in the high 90's daily so dressing for hot weather.  Sometimes on my way home I will stop at one of the stores that are now asking their customers not to open carry, but it's ok to conceal carry.  I will not leave my handgun in my vehicle while shopping.  This doesn't really make much sense to the employees I have talked to about this new policy.  Their opinion is they would rather know who "is" carrying a handgun than who is "possibly" carrying a handgun.  In Arizona during the summer you will see many people open carry everywhere you go.

Whoa... Do you know that you posted this exact same post yesterday???

:blink:

4 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I guess maybe it's just an Arizona thing to open carry.  I have had employees from Gunsite, one of the best firearms training facilities in the country, come into the gun shop open carrying.  Whether someone wants to or doesn't want to open carry, it's their choice.  That's what makes America great, you can make your own choices.

Yeah...but to imply that you can only carry open is silly.

I never said I could only open carry.  I said I open carry in the hot Arizona summer months when I am working, and wearing a short sleeve shirt to try and keep cool, and leave work and stop at a store, I am not going to take my gun off and leave it in my vehicle.    XYZ stores don't want customers to open carry, but it's all right to conceal carry.  So people who are conceal carrying are not a danger to their customers, only people who are open carrying.  Makes sense to me.    

16 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I never said I could only open carry.  I said I open carry in the hot Arizona summer months when I am working, and wearing a short sleeve shirt to try and keep cool, and leave work and stop at a store, I am not going to take my gun off and leave it in my vehicle.    XYZ stores don't want customers to open carry, but it's all right to conceal carry.  So people who are conceal carrying are not a danger to their customers, only people who are open carrying.  Makes sense to me.    

You have to be purposely kidding yourself if you think that "being a danger to their customers" is the issue. 

Those not familiar with guns... Those not comfortable with sidearms being carried openly on strangers...etc,etc. These are the issues that the corporation's/stores are dealing with.

And it's easy to have an open carry hoster that is ready to conceal with the simple un-tucking of one's shirt.

Sure will be real quick to pull up my shirt to get at my gun instead of open carrying it in a REAL LIFE OR DEATH EMERGENCY.  Guess we can agree to disagree on this subject.  Maybe growing up I watched to many Westerns when all the good guys OPEN CARRIED.  I know, maybe we should have "Concealed Carry Cowboy Action Shooting".

9 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Sure will be real quick to pull up my shirt to get at my gun instead of open carrying it in a REAL LIFE OR DEATH EMERGENCY.  Guess we can agree to disagree on this subject.  Maybe growing up I watched to many Westerns when all the good guys OPEN CARRIED.  I know, maybe we should have "Concealed Carry Cowboy Action Shooting".

Uh... Those face off at high noon are a Hollywood invention... So split second draws are VERY rarely needed.

Oh, and those westerns you idolize, well the"Bad" guys also Open Carried.

Please don't tell me you're one of those guys that carry using the thigh tactical rigs.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uh... Those face off at high noon are a Hollywood invention... 

Is the song called big iron where the bad guy only has a gunfight close to sundown with his back to the sun? Maybe by Marty Robbins. Guess I could've just googled it but where is the fun in that?

12 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Is the song called big iron where the bad guy only has a gunfight close to sundown with his back to the sun? Maybe by Marty Robbins. Guess I could've just googled it but where is the fun in that?

Can't answer that one... I'm into stiff like Social D, Bouncing Souls, Operation Ivy...

:o

Good thing you did not live in Tombstone in the 1880s:

Ordinance No.9:

"To Provide against Carrying of Deadly Weapons" (effective April 19, 1881).

Section 1. It is hereby declared unlawful to carry in the hand or upon the person or otherwise any deadly weapon within the limits of said city of Tombstone, without first obtaining a permit in writing.

Section 2: This prohibition does not extend to persons immediately leaving or entering the city, who, with good faith, and within reasonable time are proceeding to deposit, or take from the place of deposit such deadly weapon.

Section 3: All fire-arms of every description, and bowie knives and dirks, are included within the prohibition of this ordinance.

17 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Sure will be real quick to pull up my shirt to get at my gun instead of open carrying it in a REAL LIFE OR DEATH EMERGENCYS.  Guess we can agree to disagree on this subject.  Maybe growing up I watched to many Westerns when all the good guys OPEN CARRIED.  I know, maybe we should have "Concealed Carry Cowboy Action Shooting".

Practice with wearing an overshirt.  Learn the "scoop draw".  Easy to find on youtube from a great instructor in your area named Robin Brown, aka "brownie".  With a little practice, the scoop draw will only slow you down by about 1/4 second.

Yes, you are slowed down, slightly.  But way better than avoiding a store that you really need to go to, or leaving your handgun in your vehicle.

Da thug life...

Okay Walmart...how about you stop selling tobacco products, since it can cause cancer, and C.O.P.D.!  How about you stop selling beer and wine, since that may cause someone to become an alcoholic.  We have a Burger King in our Walmart, so how about closing them down,  since they sell burgers that may cause obesity?  The same could be said for loaded pizza, and cans of lard, and cans of weed-killer.  It is the same reasoning, isn't it???  This just gives me one more reason not to shop there.  I never bought ammo there anyway, since the people behind the counter don't know their elbow, from a hot rock, when it comes to caliber, or ammunition.  The Mom and Pop gun stores should see a upturn in business, and that is a good thing.  Remember to vote next year, and also, right now, you can vote with your billfold, and simply shop elsewhere, if you disagree with their policies, that is.  .

They can, and will, do as they please...and so will I.   

My Two Bits.

W.K.

Wow!  If all these fellers that claim they will never step foot in another Walmart again is representative across the country, Walmart can advertise "No Waiting Checkout Lines".  Would that entice any of you back?

:lol:

Walmart obviously doesn't need my business and they no longer get it.

Sayonara!!!

I have not done business with the companies that dropped NRA discounts. Now Walmart is on my list of undesirable businesses. I live in rural Farthest North Idaho and have experienced no discernible impact from ceasing to do business with the Dick's, Panera's Met Life, etc. entities.

I walked into my local Walmart today just the same as I always do!  My pistol was on my hip in the same place it has always been.  The same greeter welcomed me as usual with the same smile and greeting.  The pharmacist never batted an eye and made no unusual motions or reaction.  The folks that I see in the aisles stocking shelves paid little mind, except for the ones that know me 'n' Schoolmarm that always go out of their way to ask how we are and exchange family news.  The ladies at the checkout were unphased by my open carry, just as they always are.  On my way out, I met one of the local police officers with whom I am familiar. He gave me the usual nod and shortened salute motion he always offers and to which I always respond in kind.

So far, it's been business as usual for me since this uproar began. 

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I walked into my local Walmart today just the same as I always do!  My pistol was on my hip in the same place it has always been.  The same greeter welcomed me as usual with the same smile and greeting.  The pharmacist never batted an eye and made no unusual motions or reaction.  The folks that I see in the aisles stocking shelves paid little mind, except for the ones that know me 'n' Schoolmarm that always go out of their way to ask how we are and exchange family news.  The ladies at the checkout were unphased by my open carry, just as they always are.  On my way out, I met one of the local police officers with whom I am familiar. He gave me the usual nod and shortened salute motion he always offers and to which I always respond in kind.

So far, it's been business as usual for me since this uproar began. 

Typical media hype.   

Archived