SASS Wire Forum

Walmart / Sam's club

Hells Comin

This may cause a few to cringe but I am against open carry in public places.  Carry concealed and if the need should arise, seek cover and surprise the offender.  Personally I have seen too many unstable individuals that may try to disarm you or something equally foolish.  

Finally, Wal-Mart is corporate and not my first choice for shopping.  

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

Walmart sells them for $5.50 a box... Lgs $8.50 a box... I shoot around 65-75 boxes a year...  

$3x75=$225 MORE from the lgs... so yeah, that's a bad thing...

I can get 75 boxes delivered from academy for about $435...

The LGS probably didn’t pay much less than that $8.50 themselves. Walmart and academy buy their shells by the semi load, the LGS may buy them by the pallet or less. 

Actually ... I think if you were "the casual" hold up man (person) ... you probably wouldn't be a reloader.

You would have to go to Walmart to get a box of 38 specials for the model 10 you stole or bullets for the AR (and they wouldn't be cheap).

I also suspect the government was probably trying to do their own little gun control thing by buying up as much ammo as they could get away with during the last administration ... but ... I can't help but think that Walmart might actually put a small dent in local gun play by simply making it hard for the "casual user" (holdup man/burglar) to get ammo for their latest acquisition. 

Remember ... even the Walking Dead people were hurting ... Guns were laying around free for the taking in every home but the ammo dried up quickly ... they were screwed until they started reloading. Most people aren't us ... if they buy a gun they get one box of ammo ... shoot 5-10 rounds ... put the whole package in a drawer some where and it stays there till they die. 

Can you imagine what the news story would look like if they came to one of our houses?? Mr/Ms X had xx guns ... xxxxx round of ammo ... unregistered ammo manufacturing machinery, several pounds of explosives and detonating devices ... whoa mama ... :mellow: ... Imagine the neighbor interviews!! 

I think this was part of the Japan analogy Cypress was trying to make ... 

Is the second amendment different to us than it is to someone who only sees guns on the TV CSI /FBI/Rapper/Gangster shows ...

How cool can it be to be a youngster and snag a Glock from a kid/teen burglary and become "the man" w/ all your friends?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

The LGS probably didn’t pay much less than that $8.50 themselves. Walmart and academy buy their shells by the semi load, the LGS may buy them by the pallet or less. 

You are absolutely correct!!!!

I carry a little SG on my shelves...to be competitive, I make about $0.25 per box. I carry very little just to be a convenience for my customers. It's a losing product category for me.

The Big boys carry it as a Loss Leader cuz they can. Good for them, but folks shouldn't ASSUME that the LGS's are ripping them off.

Phantom

Walmart sells tobacco products, alcohol and cell phones......

Alcohol related deaths per year 88,000

Tobacco related deaths per year 480,000 (There is no such thing as responsible tobacco use)

Distracted driving deaths per year 3,285

No outcry or moves to eliminate selling these items that I have noticed.

5 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Can you imagine what the news story would look like if they came to one of our houses?? Mr/Ms X had xx guns ... xxxxx round of ammo ... unregistered ammo manufacturing machinery, several pounds of explosives and detonating devices ... whoa mama ... :mellow: ... Imagine the neighbor interviews!! 

If you watch the news at all  when one of the tragic (and I would NEVER make light of one) shootings occurs, the press always reports on the amount of firearms, amount of ammo, body armor and any other terrible killing objects they may have in their possession.

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Walmart sells tobacco products, alcohol and cell phones......

Alcohol related deaths per year 88,000

Tobacco related deaths per year 480,000 (There is no such thing as responsible tobacco use)

Distracted driving deaths per year 3,285

No outcry or moves to eliminate selling these items that I have noticed.

You will NEVER hear the media attack the selling of these products; that is not their agenda.

And alcohol, tobacco and cell phones will never allow any populace to stand up to a tyrannical government... 2nd Amendment anyone???

When I worked at my local gun shop/range we had a bunch of CCL classes. Sometimes we didn’t have enough ammo for them to buy. We would go down to WalMart less than a mile away and buy as much as we could, 9mm. .380 .45 and mark them up a dollar. 

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You are absolutely correct!!!!

I carry a little SG on my shelves...to be competitive, I make about $0.25 per box. I carry very little just to be a convenience for my customers. It's a losing product category for me.

The Big boys carry it as a Loss Leader cuz they can. Good for them, but folks shouldn't ASSUME that the LGS's are ripping them off.

Phantom

I used to have a neighbor that retired from WM as an executive and he told me that 99% of people that come in to buy the loss leader end up spending much more money on other stuff.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I used to have a neighbor that retired from WM as an executive and he told me that 99% of people that come in to buy the loss leader end up spending much more money on other stuff.

Yep - Loss Leaders work.

The danger here is that large corporations are now turning against firearms - banks that won't lend or finance firearm related businesses, credit processing companies that won't do transactions involving firearms or related products, social media that bans firearm related media, and national retailers that are dumping firearms and ammo. 

It is part of an organized strategy, where gun control proponents are actively pressuring businesses via threats of lawsuits, boycotts, passing state or local ordinances to change their business and get rid of firearms and related products. They are well funded and working 24/7 to achieve their ends. 

To get to those ends they are working to demonize firearms both the sale and ownership of firearms. Making it less and less acceptable to carry a gun, to have one in the home, or to participate in firearm related sports. 

Walmart is just another nail in the coffin of gun rights as the "left" works to marginalize public acceptance and support of the RKBA and the 2nd amendment. 

Remember, you can have a 2nd amendment right but what is it worth is you can't buy a gun or ammo. LGS are great but they have to depend on companies that make ammo and guns, that transport ammo and guns. When only LGS are left how hard will it be to run them out of business too.

Don't fool yourself - the firearm community has never been under such a continuing all out attack as it is now. The national media are all calling for more gun control. Most of the Democratic party and half the Republican party are calling for more gun control. Banks, credit card companies, big box stores are all being pressured to dump guns. The gun control movement is financed by multiple billionaires and supported by the biggest corporations in the world. 

We are on our own, as the NRA is swallowed up in internal fighting. The only thing we have is a president who sometimes dithers on the issue from day to day who is going to come out with some new legislation but who probably won't support a ban, and a Supreme Court that hasn't make a significant positive ruling on a gun case in over a decade. 

We are losing and we are losing badly. 

12 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

well, thats not my problem any more than the fact i cant afford this game coasting me ANOTHER $225 a year above and beyond what it already costs is the problem of my LGS...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

now onto the open carry vs concealed carry argument...

ask yourself, why do police open carry?

Walmart is still selling their inventory, then they will stop selling this ammunition. The only responsible thing to do if you are a Walmart shopper is to look for close out sales. Me, I rarely buy at Walmart, but I may have to check out their prices before it's gone. I won't buy unless it's cost effective since I reload the calibers I shoot. YMMV

9 minutes ago, Go West said:

Walmart is still selling their inventory, then they will stop selling this ammunition. The only responsible thing to do if you are a Walmart shopper is to look for close out sales. Me, I rarely buy at Walmart, but I may have to check out their prices before it's gone. I won't buy unless it's cost effective since I reload the calibers I shoot. YMMV

I refuse to step one foot in their stores! I don't care what the sale is. Chances are it's not going to be that big of a deal anyway!

30 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

10 bucks says they reverse their policy in the very near future.

If I was a bettin man, I'd put 20 up against your 10. This is going to happen more and more in the future.

We've seen it with sporting goods stores, grocery stores and others. This is not going away. The anti-gunners are foaming at the mouth and BIG money is behind the disarming of America. Not only will this not reverse, with continued shootings from nut jobs, this will only spread.

Someone told me over 40 years ago this was going to happen and everyone said he was a radical and worried for nothing. Glad he's not alive to see where we've gone in this country.

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

10 bucks says they reverse their policy in the very near future.

I'd take that bet in a heart beat. The bean counters and algorithms these companies employ have determined that the sales of ammo and guns is minuscule in comparison with all the other cheap Chinese junk they sell.  

2 hours ago, Go West said:

Rye, I made the suggestion for Walmart shoppers. If you are not one, then the message is not for you.

It sure isn’t for me !! I’m just letting everyone know what I think! I’ll speak up against anti gun stores anytime I can!!

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I'd take that bet in a heart beat. The bean counters and algorithms these companies employ have determined that the sales of ammo and guns is minuscule in comparison with all the other cheap Chinese junk they sell.  

Oh I agree that they have already calculated in the loss of revenue from ammo sales, but I think they've miscalculated the overall loss of revenue from fly-over folks like us who will now take all of our business elsewhere, including groceries, clothing, etc.  The jury's still out in my opinion.

Multi-billion dollar corporation that would rather take a hit from the loss of "gun nuts" like us than risk bad press as being a corporation that supports a "domestic terrorist" organization like the NRA and their ilk.

5 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Multi-billion dollar corporation that would rather take a hit from the loss of "gun nuts" like us than risk bad press as being a corporation that supports a "domestic terrorist" organization like the NRA and their ilk.

Don't kid yourself into thinking that they care about either side of the issue one bit other than what affects the bottom line. Despite how they like to pretend they are this wholesome American company, Walmart is the most anti-American corporation of all time.

17 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Don't kid yourself into thinking that they care about either side of the issue one bit other than what affects the bottom line. Despite how they like to pretend they are this wholesome American company, Walmart is the most anti-American corporation of all time.

Uhhh...

Facebook

Google

:mellow:

Hate to say it, but I'll still buy some stuff from Wally World...unless they go so far as to ban concealed carry. I won't be a sitting duck.

Phantom

19 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Bingo!! They could care less about the insignificant profits they make on guns and ammo AND they don't care if they are boycotted over it. They know it won't last, they've done an excellent job of eliminating the competition wherever they set up shop. Selling SG shells at less than cost to squeeze the LGS is an excellent example.

Sears use to be a large firearm and hunting supply store. Then after a shooting in Omaha Nebraska they stopped. Did that stop any of us from buying Craftsman Tools? Sears gone, Kmart use to sell firearms gone, Dick's sales down. Just saying dropping firearms from your inventory may be a leading indicator of a companies end.

40 minutes ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

Sears use to be a large firearm and hunting supply store. Then after a shooting in Omaha Nebraska they stopped. Did that stop any of us from buying Craftsman Tools? Sears gone, Kmart use to sell firearms gone, Dick's sales down. Just saying dropping firearms from your inventory may be a leading indicator of a companies end.

Correlation is not always causation. When did Abercrombie and Fitch stop selling guns?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Bingo!! They could care less about the insignificant profits they make on guns and ammo AND they don't care if they are boycotted over it. They know it won't last, they've done an excellent job of eliminating the competition wherever they set up shop. Selling SG shells at less than cost to squeeze the LGS is an excellent example.

They don't sell below cost ... Close to it.

But all the big stores do it.

And yet while folks complain about issues such as these, they jump online... Hurry on over to the big store sales...etc,etc...to save a buck.

Trust me, most of the folks that bitch about Walmart and the like will rush over to those stores the second they run a sale on something that they want.

Phantom

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

They don't sell below cost ... Close to it.

But all the big stores do it.

And yet while folks complain about issues such as these, they jump online... Hurry on over to the big store sales...etc,etc...to save a buck.

Trust me, most of the folks that bitch about Walmart and the like will rush over to those stores the second they run a sale on something that they want.

Phantom

Yep, wait until Black Friday and Christmas.

6 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Where I was going is bad press for standing against the Left loses them $$. They'd rather lose the $$ from Gun rights folks as opposed to snubbing the media and taking that $$ hit. I know what they care about and that's the mighty dollar.

On 9/4/2019 at 6:12 PM, Raylan said:

We are losing and we are losing badly. 

All of it hangs thinly on what happens in 2020. (and whether Badis-Ginsberg lasts until then.) 

Any gun owner who doesn't vote need to be motivated right now. 

Ok Phantom, I will answer your question.  I work part time at a Gun Shop in AZ and am required to wear a handgun while at work.  During the winter time I am wearing a jacket, so I am concealed carrying.  The summer temperatures are running in the high 90's daily so dressing for hot weather.  Sometimes on my way home I will stop at one of the stores that are now asking their customers not to open carry, but it's ok to conceal carry.  I will not leave my handgun in my vehicle while shopping.  This doesn't really make much sense to the employees I have talked to about this new policy.  Their opinion is they would rather know who "is" carrying a handgun than who is "possibly" carrying a handgun.  In Arizona during the summer you will see many people open carry everywhere you go.

47 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Ok Phantom, I will answer your question.  I work part time at a Gun Shop in AZ and am required to wear a handgun while at work.  During the winter time I am wearing a jacket, so I am concealed carrying.  The summer temperatures are running in the high 90's daily so dressing for hot weather.  Sometimes on my way home I will stop at one of the stores that are now asking their customers not to open carry, but it's ok to conceal carry.  I will not leave my handgun in my vehicle while shopping.  This doesn't really make much sense to the employees I have talked to about this new policy.  Their opinion is they would rather know who "is" carrying a handgun than who is "possibly" carrying a handgun.  In Arizona during the summer you will see many people open carry everywhere you go.

I'm just sitting here... Shaking my head and laughing.

I own a gun store.

Carry every waking hour.

Just moved outta the Austin Texas area... So it gets hot and muggy a lot.

And I never carry open.

So...

Phantom

Archived