SASS Wire Forum

Possible varmint solution?

Might need to consider this one. 

Any thoughts?

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/garden-gun-smoothbore-22/

Nice Henry commercial. Plinkster there comes off as a bit of a dork.

I wonder what it would look like if he had tried some penetration tests. Instead of shooting paper targets, maybe he should have shot some cans of soda pop. See not just how many pellets hit it, but how many pellets penetrated it.

I shot a rat with that CCI rat shot. Distance was about 10 feet. I shot him five times. I'm pretty sure I hit him every time, since every time I shot he turned and ran in a different direction. Never did fall dead though.

How well can you stalk? You think you can get to within 15 feet of one of your little varmints?

IMG_20190903_141924.thumb.jpg.67704bd3130aca8e877736b60ef61b96.jpg

Before last October, when I still had pecan trees, I would take the screen out of my bedroom window and shoot thieving bushy-tailed rats with Super Colibri. I've killed several on that scraggly oak tree out there. I just ran a tape. 43 feet from my window to that tree. You think that rat shot will kill at 43 feet?

Single shot .410's can be had used for $75 or so.  That beats $400 for a smooth bore .22 that would be good for nothing other than rats and small snakes.  Couple the .410 with 2" shells designed for the Judge/Governor, and you have a relatively quiet varmint gun that can still be used for other things, for a whole lot less money.

My Gamo 1000 .17 caliber pellet gun works well all the way up to raccoons.  It's inexpensive (just over $100 10+ years ago) quiet, and legal.  I've lost track of the varmints I've eliminated with it, but it has to be well over 100 by now.  With a little Tasco scope on it I can get pretty easy one shot kills.

Garden gun looks like an answer in search of a question. 

Like Alpo said, I find the 22 LR shotshell to be anemic beyond snake-shooting distances, which is about 5’ in my world.

(Oh Lord, did I just agree with Alpo on a serious topic?)

2 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Single shot .410's can be had used for $75 or so.  That beats $400 for a smooth bore .22 that would be good for nothing other than rats and small snakes.  Couple the .410 with 2" shells designed for the Judge/Governor, and you have a relatively quiet varmint gun that can still be used for other things, for a whole lot less money.

410 can put holes in the barn roof.  These garden guns are great for eliminating sparrows in the rafters.  The 22 shotshell never penetrates the old thin and rusty roof steel.  The lever action Henry will be much quicker than the bolt action Savage.  

Garden guns aren’t good for a lot but they are great in their niche.

I must admit, I thought the garden gun was a silly idea until I watched the video. Interesting. 

Of course I think the garden gun would be more useful if the wood was changed out to match the rifle and friendly wagers could be made with fellow weekend camping trip buddies...and they would get the garden gun to compete against you and your, ahem, new .22 that you just got...

That could be fun...:D

I think it might solve a problem for parents with kids who roam the woods but are not ready for a rifle that shoots longer range bullets but need something for snakes in the woods.  

Also be good in areas where you have neighbors nearby but have squirrels in your house or trying to get in

Archived