SASS Wire Forum

Night Sights on CCW Handgun - Yay or Nay?

Pat Riot

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It depends on the city/county.

Example--Kern County is easy-LA County, forget about it.......

Just glad mine is from my 'old-job'.

OLG

Imagine that. Kern County is rural. LA not so much.

Sheriff’s here issue the permit but have no say. If the background is clean, you get the permit.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m surprised you can get a CCL in California. What kind of hoops do you have to jump through??

Well, you have to live on 3 quarts of blood until you body replenishes the 3 that were taken...

Just kidding. It’s actually comparable to other places in regards to requirements. You need to take 8-16 hours of training including range time. You must submit your request, have a background check and interview with the Sheriff’s Dept. 

The thing that really chaps my as...behind, is you can only list 3 guns on your permit. And you cannot list “self defense” as a reason for your “need” for a permit. You can dance around it but it cannot be your main reason. 98% of all CCW applications in Orange County CA are approved. Pretty good odds. 

For those of you getting your blood pressure up, please relax. If you aren’t a California citizen this doesn’t affect you so just chill out. You have a lot better chance of getting a permit now than we did years ago when I lived here. I know, because I tried. 

Thank you all so much. I do appreciate your opinions and input. 

Since I can only list 3 guns I think I am going to have to decide which guns to list and then decide on sights for them.

1 - will be my S&W 442. I will have to get laser grips for it. I love this little revolver. 

2 - will be my Glock G45. It’s not compact but I want it nearby or on me as much as possible. I am looking at Night Fision or Tru-Glo night sights for that one. 

3 - ???

Number 3 is the hard one. Do I want a revolver or do I want a compact semiautomatic? 

I have a Remington RM380 that is super reliable but the sights just plain suck and laser options are minimal. The grip is already too darn short for my hands and adding a laser just makes the grip even shorter. Viridian makes a laser for it but It activates when you remove it from their holster - No Thanks

I thought about a Glock 26 but they are thick. Maybe I will rent one and see how it shoots.

I really frosts me that I can be trusted (well, we’ll see if I can... I haven’t started the CCW process yet) to carry a gun but I have to be limited to which guns I can carry. This is some BS throwback law from the 40’s or 50’s. 

Anyway, thank you all for your input. :D

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you all so much. I do appreciate your opinions and input. 

Since I can only list 3 guns I think I am going to have to decide which guns to list and then decide on sights for them.

1 - will be my S&W 442. I will have to get laser grips for it. I love this little revolver. 

2 - will be my Glock G45. It’s not compact but I want it nearby or on me as much as possible. I am looking at Night Fision or Tru-Glo night sights for that one. 

3 - ???

Number 3 is the hard one. Do I want a revolver or do I want a compact semiautomatic? 

I have a Remington RM380 that is super reliable but the sights just plain suck and laser options are minimal. The grip is already too darn short for my hands and adding a laser just makes the grip even shorter. Viridian makes a laser for it but It activates when you remove it from their holster - No Thanks

I thought about a Glock 26 but they are thick. Maybe I will rent one and see how it shoots.

I really frosts me that I can be trusted (well, we’ll see if I can... I haven’t started the CCW process yet) to carry a gun but I have to be limited to which guns I can carry. This is some BS throwback law from the 40’s or 50’s. 

Anyway, thank you all for your input. :D

I carried a Glock 26 for years. It is thick and heavy for such a small gun. I much prefer the Sig 938 or the Kimber Micro I have now. Much more comfortable to carry. The sights on the Sig are great in any light condition and it is a real tack driver. I just pit a Viridian laser on it, just because. ( it was 50% off) :)

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

PR-Look hard at the S&W Shield. Love mine;)

OLG

Well, I want a Glock 34 Gen 3 and an S&W 63. I think I will go with the guns I own this time...unless I win the Lotto. ;)

1 hour ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

So if self-defense isn't considered a valid reason for having a CCW permit, then what on Earth is??? :huh:

You don't carry a gun just to keep your belt from falling off your pants!

It’s PC BS. Period.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I want a Glock 34 Gen 3 and an S&W 63. I think I will go with the guns I own this time...unless I win the Lotto. ;)

You better buy it PDQ, as it drops off the 'approved list' in 1/20.

I never cared for how think it was.

The 9mm Shield, is less than 1" thick. ;)

CT also makes a great light and LASER for the Shield.

OLG

17 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You better buy it PDQ, as it drops off the 'approved list' in 1/20.

Each year the list is updated. Each year Glock and other companies submit documents to keep their guns on the list. As long as they do not make changes to their guns they do not need to be retested therefore they remain on the list. For a fee, of course.

Glock is willing to continue making Generation 3 guns with no changes but that does not mean they will continue to keep renewing. 

I do like the S&W Shield. I believe the Shield will be available to Californians longer than the Glock Gen 3 guns.

I also believe the S&W 63 will be available after Jan. 20, 2020.

I plan to purchase a Glock 34 before the end of the year. 

I've never had any. Always wanted some, just never went to the trouble and expense. Buddy of mine had some on a Beretta 92 and they were impressive. Just for myself, I want nothing on a gun that runs on batteries, except maybe a light for varmint shooting. Once upon a time I shot a lot of IPSC, seen more than one shooter have his batts go down in red dots in the middle of an assault course. No thanks.

JHC

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Each year the list is updated. Each year Glock and other companies submit documents to keep their guns on the list. As long as they do not make changes to their guns they do not need to be retested therefore they remain on the list. For a fee, of course.

Glock is willing to continue making Generation 3 guns with no changes but that does not mean they will continue to keep renewing. 

I do like the S&W Shield. I believe the Shield will be available to Californians longer than the Glock Gen 3 guns.

I also believe the S&W 63 will be available after Jan. 20, 2020.

I plan to purchase a Glock 34 before the end of the year. 

Don't ASSume-More and more gun makers are tell'n PRK to F'off.

Get the Glock now-You can always sell it PP later on.

In my summer cargo shorts-The Shield even works well for 'pocket carry'.

Yes-It's that 'flat' and doesn't 'print'.

OLG

Back to sights...

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities for myself. Tru-Glo TFX Pro fiber optic and tritium sights and Night Fision “Perfect Dot” tritium night sights. I like the white ringed rear and the fluorescent yellow front, though they both glow green at night. 

I have put fiber optic front sights on rifles and found the daytime glow of the optic in the sun washes out the target when aiming. These Tru-Glo sights appear shrouded enough that the optics may not wash out the target.

The Night Fision Sights that I like are the ones pictured below. I am having a hard time seeing all black sights.

Quite honestly I like the traditional Glock sights with the white square rear and the white dot front sights but no one makes a night sight like that. 

7246CE17-C970-4FDF-9775-85F54F2DAB5C.jpeg.450b9740cade253292365a850741290d.jpeg

Here are the Tru-Glo sights

9CBF52A0-8128-4767-A8CE-FBF951540212.thumb.jpeg.b47c3c0f30a4f516ad1f0d3c9082fceb.jpeg

42214267-D168-442B-88D5-15796218CBFF.jpeg.77300ce11c4568e893d95d6a143f3e3e.jpeg

And here are the Night Fision sights

0BFEEC04-6D47-4DE5-B5A3-71AD0C9457B6.jpeg.b31517f18797153fa141e76652795e8a.jpeg

611CBB2D-F7D3-4867-902C-8F557028481A.jpeg.9bd9a5ce7b3f40b0cded0fd7cda6550a.jpeg

I am an kind of leaning towards the Night Fision sights.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Back to sights...

I think I have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities for myself. Tru-Glo TFX Pro fiber optic and tritium sights and Night Fision “Perfect Dot” tritium night sights. I like the white ringed rear and the fluorescent yellow front, though they both glow green at night. 

I have put fiber optic front sights on rifles and found the daytime glow of the optic in the sun washes out the target when aiming. These Tru-Glo sights appear shrouded enough that the optics may not wash out the target.

The Night Fision Sights that I like are the ones pictured below. I am having a hard time seeing all black sights.

Quite honestly I like the traditional Glock sights with the white square rear and the white dot front sights but no one makes a night sight like that. 

7246CE17-C970-4FDF-9775-85F54F2DAB5C.jpeg.450b9740cade253292365a850741290d.jpeg

Here are the Tru-Glo sights

9CBF52A0-8128-4767-A8CE-FBF951540212.thumb.jpeg.b47c3c0f30a4f516ad1f0d3c9082fceb.jpeg

42214267-D168-442B-88D5-15796218CBFF.jpeg.77300ce11c4568e893d95d6a143f3e3e.jpeg

And here are the Night Fision sights

0BFEEC04-6D47-4DE5-B5A3-71AD0C9457B6.jpeg.b31517f18797153fa141e76652795e8a.jpeg

611CBB2D-F7D3-4867-902C-8F557028481A.jpeg.9bd9a5ce7b3f40b0cded0fd7cda6550a.jpeg

I am an kind of leaning towards the Night Fision sights.

You might give XS big dots a look.  They're made for close in work, which is what we need for our EDC pistols.  If I'm in a jam I want to see that front sight NOW, and those big front sights really jump out at you.

image.thumb.png.bf302c15399895003e49c5f735186235.png

If you think about your sight picture, when you have a three dot sight like the ones you posted, you can't see anything below the top of that sight.  With the lollypop look of Big Dots you have the ability to see around the sight better.

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

You might give XS big dots a look.  They're made for close in work, which is what we need for our EDC pistols.  If I'm in a jam I want to see that front sight NOW, and those big front sights really jump out at you.

image.thumb.png.bf302c15399895003e49c5f735186235.png

If you think about your sight picture, when you have a three dot sight like the ones you posted, you can't see anything below the top of that sight.  With the lollypop look of Big Dots you have the ability to see around the sight better.

Good points. Thank you.

I guess I am looking more at accuracy than I am looking at defense. I will have to consider this.

It really is too bad there’s no real way to try different sights out before buying.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Good points. Thank you.

I guess I am looking more at accuracy than I am looking at defense. I will have to consider this.

It really is too bad there’s no real way to try different sights out before buying.

If you want pin point accuracy these are not the sights for you!

I agree, it would be nice to be able to try them out.  If you were in GA I would lend mine too you.  Maybe you know a pard out that way who has some?

12 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:
15 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

If you want pin point accuracy these are not the sights for you!

That’s the thing. I am looking for accuracy and low light sighting.

Trouble is my favorite sights are the crummy old Glock sights. There is no Night sight option for those. 

You will never find the fiber optic sight in a dark room or at night.

That was been proven in my classes at Gunsite.

Go with Trijicon 3 green dots or Meprolight sights.

https://www.israeldefensestore.com/tactical/accessories-optics/sights/tritium.html

Green is the easiest to see in a dim light also.

OLG

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You will never find the fiber optic sight in a dark room or at night.

That was been proven in my classes at Gunsite.

Go with Trijicon 3 green dots or Meprolight sights.

https://www.israeldefensestore.com/tactical/accessories-optics/sights/tritium.html

Green is the easiest to see in a dim light also.

OLG

The Tru-Glo TFX Pro sights are fiber AND Tritium. BUT, I have decided to not go with them. I was thinking about all the different fiber optic sights I have tried on long guns and the problems I had with them.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Good selection of Glock sights here.........

https://www.glockmeister.com/Sights-and-Night-Sights/departments/417/

Good outfit to deal with.

OLG

Thank you. I signed up for their alerts. 

After much research and looking at different options I decided on these:

http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-handgun-sights.asp

779D72F2-EF2D-44C0-A199-15EEC6D260D6.jpeg.cd696f796cbb098cc906d395637cd297.jpeg

I went to a local gun store and was in there talking to one of the owners about transferring a gun to my son-in-law when I saw that they had a few different night sights on the wall. I grabbed the package that contained these and was looking at them in the dim light and then near the window where the sun came in. They were bright but not obnoxious like most fiber sights. The white circle front sight stands out but is not obnoxious. 

I thought I might like the orange ringed front sight but the man I spoke with told me that they found that the white tends to subdue the green and draw your eye.

I guess I will find out after I install them. 

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

After much research and looking at different options I decided on these:

http://www.truglo.com/firearms-handgun/brite-site-tfx-handgun-sights.asp

779D72F2-EF2D-44C0-A199-15EEC6D260D6.jpeg.cd696f796cbb098cc906d395637cd297.jpeg

I went to a local gun store and was in there talking to one of the owners about transferring a gun to my son-in-law when I saw that they had a few different night sights on the wall. I grabbed the package that contained these and was looking at them in the dim light and then near the window where the sun came in. They were bright but not obnoxious like most fiber sights. The white circle front sight stands out but is not obnoxious. 

I thought I might like the orange ringed front sight but the man I spoke with told me that they found that the white tends to subdue the green and draw your eye.

I guess I will find out after I install them. 

Good choice. Thinking about a set for my 1911.

1 minute ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Good choice. Thinking about a set for my 1911.

I took my new sights on a low light tour of the house early this morning. The sales guy was right. The white helps draw your eye. He said the orange suppresses the green fiber in low light but the white helps brighten it. I can see that. 

The green of the fiber optic stood out in the gray dawn light. In bright sun they are bright but not overly so.

This shop where I bought these is run by a bunch of tactical shooters that are ex-military. Apparently after they found these sights they quit stocking Trijicon and Meprolight sights. They do have limited space but he said these are the best in their opinion. He said that they sell a lot of them to local police officers.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I took my new sights on a low light tour of the house early this morning. The sales guy was right. The white helps draw your eye. He said the orange suppresses the green fiber in low light but the white helps brighten it. I can see that. 

The green of the fiber optic stood out in the gray dawn light. In bright sun they are bright but not overly so.

This shop where I bought these is run by a bunch of tactical shooters that are ex-military. Apparently after they found these sights they quit stocking Trijicon and Meprolight sights. They do have limited space but he said these are the best in their opinion. He said that they sell a lot of them to local police officers.

Hey Old-Man. Clean out you PM's^_^

OLG

16 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Hey Old-Man. Clean out you PM's^_^

OLG

Why are you quoting me? I ain’t old! :P

Cleaned it up.

Took some photos at OLG’s request.

G45 from the side 

15EA6D7A-5FE4-4716-97CE-5286411C117E.thumb.jpeg.b6deb1507496f4939dd4a51acfc9cbfc.jpeg

Front sight dim light

99742E5E-B039-48FB-A60D-A9F512BEB639.thumb.jpeg.425b1e62cd93c4a05a53c200ff4ab74e.jpeg

Dark shot

0D9D6217-AE89-4A41-A7CF-63B4F896BEC9.thumb.jpeg.bdf7a2513c8d77100c507f79033ed828.jpeg

Fiber optics in room light

A04650C7-F5C6-42C7-A61A-91194328C941.thumb.jpeg.c1d98fa27fb05837f213cc33305172d8.jpeg

Fiber optics in sunlight

7474D06B-DA2C-40A3-9D4C-7825F35FEAD9.thumb.jpeg.695b67d1426ea64e2ff2b9cf60c9b094.jpeg

Man, what a PITA to get decent shots of sights with a smart phone. 

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I like'em mucho B)

OLG

I found them for less than Glockmeister. I paid $119.00. I bought them at a local gun store that has a website. They are Rifle Supply in Huntington Beach, Ca. Their site is: https://riflesupply.com/

Some other sights with lower prices:

https://www.glockparts.com/custom/TG13GL1A.htm

https://www.opticsplanet.com/truglo-tg13gl1a-tfx-glock-low17-19-22-23-24-26-27-33-34-35-38-39-green-3-dot.html

TruGlo TFX Glock Low Set Tritium/Fiber-Optic Day/Night Sight, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R81VGCA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_aUtDDbRQM6SB9

Archived