SASS Wire Forum

Night Sights on CCW Handgun - Yay or Nay?

Pat Riot

Just curious. I was involved in a conversation at my local indoor range about getting my CCW here in California and the subject of gun mods came up. 

One guy guy said that his carry guns are stock and unmodified so that he can’t be picked apart in court over gun mods. I completely understand and agree, but I broached the subject of adding night sights or fiber optic sights. The consensus was split down the middle. 

Personally, I have a really hard time with sights that are all black. I like the sights on my Glock 45. They are stock but I have been considering replacing them with Night Fision or Tru Glo fiber/ tritium night sights. 

I look at it this way, if I can see my sights and my target there is a good chance I will hit the intended target.

Opinions?

Yay.  Whenever possible.

Night sights improve visibility in low light situations too.  Darkness not required.

Glock, SIG and others sell their own.   So, it is not a mod, its an option selection.

I carried Glocks as duty weapons for 16 years or so. They all had Tritium night sights which were excellent. My edc SIG 938 came with  Siglite night sights. They are excellent.

I don’t see any reason not to have night sights on a defensive pistol.

26 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Crimson Trace laser grips feel very nice on my J frame.

I have them on my 644 also.  You  can’t beat em if you have a J frame and night sights are not an option.

My CCW gunz have Tritium from Trijicon and a CT light and LASER grip.

Most SD events happen at night, and/or in poor light.

Fiber style pistol sights need a good amount of light to 'glow'. I don't care for'em.

OLG

35 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I carried Glocks as duty weapons for 16 years or so. They all had Tritium night sights which were excellent. My edc SIG 938 came with  Siglite night sights. They are excellent.

I don’t see any reason not to have night sights on a defensive pistol.

I heard they can make your testicles shrink, but on the flip side may reduce your inflamed prostate.

What kind of battery life do you get on those Crimson Trace?

I have a set on one gun, but it's not a defensive pistol, and the switch is turned off more than it is turned on.

For a carry gun, it seems like the smart thing to do would be to turn the switch on and leave it on. That way when you pull the gun and your finger presses the thing, the light comes on.

But with the switch turned on, and the pressure pad not being pushed, does it in any way deplete the battery?

5 minutes ago, Alpo said:

What kind of battery life do you get on those Crimson Trace?

I have a set on one gun, but it's not a defensive pistol, and the switch is turned off more than it is turned on.

For a carry gun, it seems like the smart thing to do would be to turn the switch on and leave it on. That way when you pull the gun and your finger presses the thing, the light comes on.

But with the switch turned on, and the pressure pad not being pushed, does it in any way deplete the battery?

As OLG said, CT will send you free batteries. Depending on the model, it may or may not have an on off switch, the J frame models does not but the 1911 grips do. Even though I keep the 1911 switched on, the laser is not activated until you actually put pressure on the front switch. 

7F4C014A-9064-436C-A15E-0E901B538261.jpeg

870FE374-7A18-4302-8AC9-6B27B00FA2CE.jpeg

The main reason I asked about night sights is that here in Granola Land anytime a gun is used in defense there is a very good possibility that one will be sued. I wouldn’t want the addition of night sights to be construed as a modification that indicates that one was planning an attack or hoping for an attack in order to harm someone. 

I look at night sights as being more responsible, but that usually has no bearing to some within the court systems. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The main reason I asked about night sights is that here in Granola Land anytime a gun is used in defense there is a very good possibility that one will be sued. I wouldn’t want the addition of night sights to be construed as a modification that indicates that one was planning an attack or hoping for an attack in order to harm someone. 

I look at night sights as being more responsible, but that usually has no bearing to some within the court systems. 

I wouldn’t worry about that at all.

As a survivor of 2, SD events. I say this.

The sights will be the least of your concern.......

They opposition will do everything to 'push' it was a ND and/or unjustified.

Then you'll have the civil suits to deal with when/if cleared of criminal charges.

OLG

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wouldn’t want the addition of night sights to be construed as a modification that indicates that one was planning an attack or hoping for an attack in order to harm someone.

These days, just keeping a gun in your house indicates that one is planning an attack or hoping for an attack in order to harm someone.

I have one with tritiums and one with fiber optic. Depending on night or day as to what to use.

I like the fiber optic during the day but they are totally worthless at night.

Trying to talk Momma into a Kimber crimson trace,

Most LEO's have night sights on their duty weapons, and most of those are department issued and mandated.  I doubt that night sights would be a detrimental "modification", even in a California civil suit.

30 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Most LEO's have night sights on their duty weapons, and most of those are department issued and mandated.  I doubt that night sights would be a detrimental "modification", even in a California civil suit.

More and more today their HG's also have white lights, to light the area up.

OLG

1 hour ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Trying to talk Momma into a Kimber crimson trace,

I did. Showed up under the Christmas tree. :wub:

I’ve switched over to laser sights. I have two Glocks with dead night sights the only solution for them is to buy and install new sights an expensive proposition. With a laser I just replace the battery on a regular basis which is a whole lot cheaper and easier  

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I train a good bit with my SD guns

There you go. In today's social climate just admitting that you "train" with your guns often can be construed to mean that you're hoping somebody breaks in so you can employ your deadly skills on someone.

In some European countries where handguns are still allowed it is illegal for civilians to use IPSC or human silhouette targets on the range, let alone engage in any sort of combat-style shooting practice. Slow-fire at bullseye targets only.

5 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

There you go. In today's social climate just admitting that you "train" with your guns often can be construed to mean that you're hoping somebody breaks in so you can employ your deadly skills on someone.

In some European countries where handguns are still allowed it is illegal for civilians to use IPSC or human silhouette targets on the range, let alone engage in any sort of combat-style shooting practice. Slow-fire at bullseye targets only.

Sorry-disagree 110%........

Training has proven competency many times in court SD cases. It sure helped me......

I could care less what they do in Europe-Most of the LEO's there are unarmed to begin with.

OLG

I’m surprised you can get a CCL in California. What kind of hoops do you have to jump through??

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Trust me-There's some 'experts' who really think that way. :rolleyes:

OLG

Well, there are some real crap-for-brains who get picked for jury duty and who might think that way as well. Let's not forget that many anti-gunners have been calling for gun owners to have mandatory liability insurance... and yet they all got upset when the NRA offered that very thing in a product called Carry Guard.

18 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’m surprised you can get a CCL in California. What kind of hoops do you have to jump through??

CA is a May Issue state not a Shall Issue one, so you have to prove a need to the local sheriff. Self Defense usually won’t cut it.

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

CA is a May Issue state not a Shall Issue one, so you have to prove a need to the local sheriff. Self Defense usually won’t cut it.

It depends on the city/county.

Example--Kern County is easy-LA County, forget about it.......

Just glad mine is from my 'old-job'.

OLG

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Crimson Trace laser grips feel very nice on my J frame.

I traded for a S&W 442 that had Crimson Trace grips , but could not get them to work very well for me. Something about my hand , the just-right size and length of fingers , the button was right in the crease where the finger bends. Had a Kimber Crimson Carry that worked great , and my little Ruger LCP works every time.

I sometimes carry the J-frame , but with some bigger wood grips.

Rex :D

My IDPA and 3gun competition guns have fiber optic, since I shoot those sports in daylight.  My carry guns have night sights, a variety of kinds.  My aw  $#!t  handguns have rails, and a TLR 1 weapon light.  My ARs have Inforce weapons lights on them.  

Archived