SASS Wire Forum

Navy Arms Scholfield advice

jpy15026

Hey Pards,
I’m about to ‘pull the trigger” on a used Uberti Schofield 45LC imported by Navy Arms.

I came across reports that they had some issues
“ blew hot gas in my face when three of the six cylinders were fired.”
“turn line is very deep and irregular”.
"Beautiful deep bluing" began to rub off.”
“The front of the cylinder is rubbed and scored after only a few rounds”
It seems the “used” ones that come around for sale are  mostly the ones imported by Navy Arms .(Does anyone know when Navy Arms imported these?)
Should I wait and hold out for a used Taylors or Cimmeron for 1 ½ times the price or just “take a shot” and get one imported by Navy Arms for a couple of hundred dollars less?
What say you?
Thanks in advance

Uberti made the Schofields imported by Navy Arms, as well all the current ones.  The ones imported by Navy came out in the mid '90s.  They do develop a turn line on the cylinder and bluing will rub off around the muzzle and edges of the cylinder, as happens in most, revolvers.  I can't speak to the comments above, but I had no problems with mine.  Grip is different and takes getting used to if you're used to Colt type grips.  It is a cool looking revolver.  Good luck.

I used a pair of 3 1/2" Navy Arms Schofields in 45 Colt for over 15 years with many thousands of rounds through them before they started to wear out. As has been said the wear line is a result of the design. On the Schofields the cylinder is locked by the trigger, not the hammer cocking. If you are used to riding the trigger you will have problems with the cylinder not turning. They do have more blow-by at the end of the cylinders. I shoot gunfighter and had to move the firing pistol in front of the other pistol so I didn't get hit in the rist with hot gasses. They are sensitive to high primers, the cylinder won't turn. 

All said and done, I enjoyed shooting them and adapted to their quirks.

SR

Archived