SASS Wire Forum

Trail boss powder

Black RZR

I have mentioned, to other reloader's, that I use trail boss for my 38 rounds and I have gotten a few dirty looks. I just started reloading for my 73 rifle in 45. I have titegroup powder, but sure seems like there is a lot of space in that case after my 6.2 grains. That gives me about 900 fps. Now 5.5 gns of TB gets me to 700 fps and it fills bout half the case. I like TB it's cheap. but why is this powder so frowned upon? If it's a dirty powder, so called, I clean my firearms often. After every time I use them at least. What u all think??

If you like it use it and ignore them.

I don't like it because it's the most expensive smokeless powder and it's VERY dirty.

I shoot real BP 98% of the time so I know what dirty is ;)

3 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

I feel like it was cheaper then most. $16 for the small 9 oz at bimart. Now that's $3 cheaper at bimart then anywhere else. Thanks everyone for input

That's about $30/lb. You should be able to get a bunch of good powders for 30% less/lb. Around $20/lb.

I'm not a powder snob, I won't frown upon your using Trail Boss ...... LOL

I've used it for years thru my Dillion RL550 and it measures spot on every time -

3.8 gr for 38

6.0 gr for 45

And its always gone bang at the hottest and coldest matches I've been at.

when I was shooting smokeless that is what I loaded it is a bit more per pound but I like the full case.  

as to cost if you shoot 5000 rounds a year it would cost 23 dollars more.  I drive 6-700 miles 3 weekends

a month to shoot.  Not worried about 23 bucks.  jmho

I use trail boss in 38 spcl and 45 colt...along with 45 cowboy special for my derringer. Still have about 15 lbs of it...so I won’t be switching to anything else for a while 

You and I are lucky to have "Bimart stores, nobody else sells TB for their price, or at least very few. That is why one of the comments..at least.. touted it as the most expensive. smokeless powder.

Not if u buy it right and figure cost per oz.  If one buys the 5 lb  jug from Powder Valley with other things to offset Hazmat it's very close to any other pistol powder, cost-wise.

Ignore the heathens who frown on my favorite .45 colt powder. They just haven't done their pricing homework.  carry on ! and come shoot over in Florence with us, !

I never hitched on to the Trail Boss train. Too expensive and does not perform any better than other powders with decades of data behind them. I like Red Dot,  Green Dot,  Bullseye and GOEX for SASS level loads.

Throckmorton, yeah I was supposed to shoot yesterday with you-all. But things came up at home.  By the way you got a son or brother that plays O Line for the ducks?

Re-starting to load after a few decades long lay-off, I got into TB for my .45 Colt pistols and rifle.

I like it because it's almost idiot proof; i.e. I can't double charge it.

My wife is handicapped and I'm often interrupted while I'm doing something, including re-loading, so I like to eliminate any problems/risks I may encounter, as a result of being distracted or my Alzheimers. 

Cleaning my guns frequently and tumbling the brass a little longer isn't a biggie for me.   

I've used Unique, Bullseye, Pyrodex and Holy Black in my .45s but keep coming back to TB.

I don't find it too bad, soot wise; I use a magnum primer, 5.5 gr TB and a tight crimp on a 250 grain bullet

Thanks everyone. Yeah I think I'll bump up to 5.5. I just use standard lg pistol primers. Federal or federal match. To be honest the first time I shot my 73 I thought it was gonna knock and be way loud compared to my Rossi 357 (loaded to .38 specs). Nope it's a dream to shoot. So smooth. My next step is new pistols in 45 and then hammer shotgun for classic cowboy

2 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

I'm not a powder snob, I won't frown upon your using Trail Boss ...... LOL

I've used it for years thru my Dillion RL550 and it measures spot on every time -

3.8 gr for 38

6.0 gr for 45

And its always gone bang at the hottest and coldest matches I've been at.

My experience as well. 5.5 and 3.5 grains though.

I use for everything from .32 S&W to .45-70.   There's not a single SASS usable caliber (in my collection) that I have not used it for, and even a few that aren't.   It's a good powder, and it works.  And it is low recoil, which is some rifles can be important.  :)

And as far as it being dirty goes, yeah, but it's still a smokeless powder and it cleans up pretty easy.   So I have to use a couple extra patches than with some others.   Not a big deal to me.

I use TB in all my cowboy loads from 32-20, 38 spcl, 45 Colt, and even 45-70. I don't find it any more dirtier than any other smokeless power. As for the cost....that doesn't play into it any more than someone saying why do you shoot 45 Colt when you can get 1000 32-20 bullets for the same price as 500 45 Colt bullets. Shoot the caliber, and load it with what components you enjoy using. 

I started using it because it's almost impossible to "double-load" a case.  I had use titegroup for a long time in non-cowboy guns, but I know of several cowboy friends who have had disastrous results from over charged loads using TG.

IMR Red is a fast flake-type powder for light 38SP loads and looks good on paper.
I picked up a bottle to see how it flies compared to Trail Boss for light loads.
IMR Red only fills about 36% of the case volume, so it could be double-charged.

There ARE better powders, no doubt. But the two reasons IMR came out with it in the first place are why most use it.

1. Almost (never say never) impossible to double-load and 2. The pressure is much lower than almost all other powders, which makes it an alternative for MANY cartridges. As always, follow the directions! There may not be load info for your caliber, but the mfr tells you how to get a starting load.

No, it's not the cleanest powder available, not why I use it. I use it in 45 Colt loads and like the fact it fills the case more than other powders and the safety factor for 38Spl loads for my daughters goes a long way. I don't think I could get a bullet in a dbl-charged 38 case.

I forgot to add that I use TB in my .45-70's as well.

15.5 grains under a 350 grain lead bullet has been giving me good accuracy.

2 minutes ago, Tequila Chase said:

I agree with all the good things said about TB.  Plus those little "o's" are tasty in milk :D :lol: :P

That's exactly what I think when I see those

And we haven't even talked about the fact that Trail Boss can be used to make quiet subsonic loads in a .270 or .308 ..........

Or as I have read,

any centerfire cartridge can safely be filled to the neck-shoulder junction and it still won't break the sound barrier... which also means reduced recoil for those who appreciate such things.

Even "Trapdoor safe" loads of .45-70 can have very unpleasant recoil in a Trapdoor carbine or an 86 Winchester with a 20" barrel when using other powders.  With Trailboss, those guns become very pleasant to shoot.

It does the same for .30-30, 30-40, .303 Brit, .30-'06, 7 and 8mm Mauser.   I've heard it does well for the big Martini-Henry round as well and many other rifle cartridges.  

With SASS type pistol calibers, I have not found any powder that has less recoil than Trailboss, even if you are using a max charge of the stuff.

Oh, and even a minimal charge with a 230 grain LRN bullet will cycle a Tommygun,

Archived