SASS Wire Forum

Marlin with APP?

Crusty Knees

I shot one (.45) with APP for about 6 years. I'm sure I shot 12 stages several times with only one application of Ballistol. I would think a .38 would fare even better - less powder - but you should remove lever & clean after each use. The extractor channel should also be cleaned periodically if steady diet of APP is used.

Until recently I used a microgroove in 38, all the time. No issues at all. Just run a bore snake after spraying the bore with multi-surface windex and you are golden. I normally ran the bore snake after 3 stages. Make sure it is windex multi-surface.

25 minutes ago, Turkey Creek Red, SASS # 22854 said:

Until recently I used a microgroove in 38, all the time. No issues at all. Just run a bore snake after spraying the bore with multi-surface windex and you are golden. I normally ran the bore snake after 3 stages. Make sure it is windex multi-surface.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Turkey Creek Red, SASS # 22854 said:

2 hours ago, Crusty Knees said:

Thank you!

@Crusty Knees do a little research on the type of windex you use windex with vinegar may not be good for your guns' finish.  Here are 2 recipes you can also use:

Mule Snot" Cleaner:
One part Isopropal alcohol
One part Hydrogen peroxide

One part Murphy's oil soap

"Moose Milk" Stabilizer/Lubricant:
80% water....
20% Balistol

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your replies.  I went ahead an shot 6 stages with the Marlin, using APP.   I can report now that is went off without a hitch!  I hit every rifle target.  Pistols, well, not so much.  That plume of smoke after each shot is disconcerting.  But, I got used to it and by the last couple of stages I think I was doing pretty well.  I kinda like this stuff.  I'm going to clean the guns this afternoon and see how it goes.

Thanks,

CK

Archived