SASS Wire Forum

Perfect media example

Utah Bob #35998

Watching the Weather Channel and one of their reporters is on Tybee Island, GA. People in the background are boarding up. She says, “I talked to a local businessman and asked if he’d like to say a few words on camera and he told me no and that he was really stressed out with the storm approaching and so on. But I told him it would only take a few seconds and eventually he agreed to to talk”

Having had numerous contacts with reporters, both broadcast and print, over the years I can tell you that’s how they operate. She badgered the poor fella until he agreed to talk. Mostly so she’d go away. These people are trained in how to squeeze a statement from you.

If you are ever put in that situation just ignore them. They specially like stressful or tragic situations because they know you will be vulnerable. They may seem sympathetic and will tell you how important it is for people to hear your story. Don’t believe them! They’re just trying to make a story and put their spin on it, and climb the corporate “news entertainment” ladder.

Over a 30 Year career in law enforcement, I can count the reporters I dealt with who I considered fair, impartial and ethical on the fingers of one hand. About like politicians.

I only wish I had been interviewed live on the air on my last day of work. I woulda gone out with a bang. :angry:

Non weather related rant mode off.

Working at public agencies I have had more than one microphone shoved in my face at accident scenes. The first thing I do is comment on how cute or pretty they are...interview over. ;)

If it’s a guy, he gets “&@$% no! Go away!”

I enjoy the clips in which the reporters are describing the dangerous storm and there are folks in the background swimming and surfing...  Yeah I know, there is no shortage of idiots, still the disconnect is fun to watch.

Bless those who are enduring hours of this stalled storm,  hope they survive and can get interviewed after the bugger moves north.

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Working at public agencies I have had more than one microphone shoved in my face at accident scenes. The first thing I do is comment on how cute or pretty they are...interview over. ;)

If it’s a guy, he gets “&@$% no! Go away!”

Now PR, remember that you now live in the PRoK, the PC police require you to tell all reporters how attractive they are. You are not being inclusive if you ignore the ones that do not self identify as female. :P ;)

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Now PR, remember that you now live in the PRoK, the PC police require you to tell all reporters how attractive they are. You are not being inclusive if you ignore the ones that do not self identify as female. :P ;)

Yeah?...Screw that! :P

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Watching the Weather Channel and one of their reporters is on Tybee Island, GA. People in the background are boarding up. She says, “I talked to a local businessman and asked if he’d like to say a few words on camera and he told me no and that he was really stressed out with the storm approaching and so on. But I told him it would only take a few seconds and eventually he agreed to to talk”

Having had numerous contacts with reporters, both broadcast and print, over the years I can tell you that’s how they operate. She badgered the poor fella until he agreed to talk. Mostly so she’d go away. These people are trained in how to squeeze a statement from you.

If you are ever put in that situation just ignore them. They specially like stressful or tragic situations because they know you will be vulnerable. They may seem sympathetic and will tell you how important it is for people to hear your story. Don’t believe them! They’re just trying to make a story and put their spin on it, and climb the corporate “news entertainment” ladder.

Over a 30 Year career in law enforcement, I can count the reporters I dealt with who I considered fair, impartial and ethical on the fingers of one hand. About like politicians.

I only wish I had been interviewed live on the air on my last day of work. I woulda gone out with a bang. :angry:

Non weather related rant mode off.

Well now she’s just bragging that she bludgeoned someone into submission.....

If this happens to you , reply that your an internet blogger for a website call the SASS Wire and ask if they’d agree to an interview first.

Reminded me how annoying those Direct TV/internet folk are in Walmart, or the time share folk at Bass Pro Shops.

31 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Well now she’s just bragging that she bludgeoned someone into submission.....

If this happens to you , reply that your an internet blogger for a website call the SASS Wire and ask if they’d agree to an interview first.

Reminded me how annoying those Direct TV/internet folk are in Walmart, or the time share folk at Bass Pro Shops.

The Direct TV folks are fun.

Just flip the script and start selling them Direct TV using their own script.;)

That really freaks them out.

Best move for sales people. 

Tell them they sound like a great sales person then ask them if they have ever heard of Amway and that you have your own business and where do they see themselves in 5 years. They run like scalded cats...

I don’t blame them either. I would. But, it is fun. :D

I remember after the last hurricane, the pictures of a reporter standing in a ditch saying how bad the flooding is while behind them is a couple of people walking down the street in ankle deep water.

22 minutes ago, Stogie said:

I remember after the last hurricane, the pictures of a reporter standing in a ditch saying how bad the flooding is while behind them is a couple of people walking down the street in ankle deep water.

And the reporter struggling to stand against the wind while people stroll by in the background.

I saw a guy first thing this morning standing on the shore at Jensen Beach about 10 miles from where I used to live. He was talking about the Tropical Storm force winds they were getting. His hair was barely ruffled. Tropical Storm wind speed is 39-73 mph. More than hair ruffling.

Archived