SASS Wire Forum

Another English question.

Alpo

Another online story. I presume they are English, because along with playing football and running, they play cricket.

>kicking around our much-used, rain-soaked leather football, which hurt when we headed for goal, especially when we felt its razor sharp knotted lace on
the forehead.< THIS MUST BE SOCCER. THE BRITISH CALL SOCCER "FOOTBALL", AND WITH SOCCER, YOU KICK THE BALL AND YOU HIT IT WITH YOUR HEAD.

>Or ripping layers of skin off our knees,
bums and thighs on frozen turf when we fell tackling each other for ball possession<

WAIT A MINUTE NOW. TACKLING? IN SOCCER? NOT THE WAY THEY TAUGHT ME IN HIGH SCHOOL. YOU TACKLE IN RUGBY, DON'T YOU? DO THEY CALL RUGBY "FOOTBALL" ALSO?

So - is both soccer and rugby called football? While I had never played rugby, my understanding is it's a very different game than soccer.

Just now, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Or Kiwis

Same thing. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

40 minutes ago, Alpo said:

So it's not a tackle as we know it - where you knock the guy to the ground. It's their term for stealing the ball.

Aha.

No fishing involved either. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I’m so confused...:blink:

You seen cricket?  Eleven men on a side (not team) in a test (not game) played on a pitch (not field); when you're in you're out; when you're out you're in; and it can take several days.  There's a player called a leg but I don't have any idea what he does.

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

You seen cricket?  Eleven men on a side (not team) in a test (not game) played on a pitch (not field); when you're in you're out; when you're out you're in; and it can take several days.  There's a player called a leg but I don't have any idea what he does.

Neither does he.

9 hours ago, Alpo said:

>Or ripping layers of skin off our knees,
bums and thighs on frozen turf when we fell tackling each other for ball possession<

"Bums" refer to the gluteus maximus or what the Brits also call the ar$e!  Rugby is essentially soccer...combined with assault with intent to maim! :o:lol:

Archived